Interpreting from Japanese into English
Thread poster: flint2
Sep 12, 2006

I am currently going to a interpreting class in Tokyo. When I am doing simultaneous interpretation practice from Japanese into English there is the problem of "time Lag".
In Japanese the main verb of a sentence is at the end of the sentence. When the Japanese speaker talks in long-winded sentences I have to pause and wait for the speaker to finish his idea before I can continue to interpret. Sometimes it no longer feels like I am doing simultaneous interpretation and mistakes are made
... See more
I am currently going to a interpreting class in Tokyo. When I am doing simultaneous interpretation practice from Japanese into English there is the problem of "time Lag".
In Japanese the main verb of a sentence is at the end of the sentence. When the Japanese speaker talks in long-winded sentences I have to pause and wait for the speaker to finish his idea before I can continue to interpret. Sometimes it no longer feels like I am doing simultaneous interpretation and mistakes are made if I don't keep up with the speaker. Do any Japanese to English interpreters out there (or anybody else for that matter) have any suggestions? Thanks
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
Japanese to English
You have to be psychic... Sep 14, 2006

You can't wait, as you have discovered. You simply have to predict what the verb will be. If you are wrong, correct the mistake as you go along. It's not something you can do immediately but will come with practice. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I experienced too much stress with interpreting and gave it up. I vowed never to do it again.

flint2
flint2
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so but... Sep 15, 2006

"You have to anticipate."

Other Japanese interpreters have told me the same thing. I was just curious what someone else had to say about my situation.

I suppose that is one reason why there are so few non-Japanese interpreters.

It's clear why my Japanese instructor focuses on English to Japanese interpretation, or why we always do consecutive not simultaneous interpretation when we do Japanese to English interpretation practice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting from Japanese into English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »