Mobile menu

Interpreting in Spain - info needed por favor
Thread poster: Kati Bumbera

Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2006

can anyone please recommend any websites, forums etc. where I could read about interpreting in Spain (what qualifications are needed and where/how to get them, how's the job market, epxeriences, stories etc.)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Silvia Oviedo Lopez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interpreting in Spain. Nov 17, 2006

Interpreting in Spain, I suppose, is much like in any other European country (at least to my knowledge.)
Since the recent increase in immigration there is a need for interpreters in hospitals/courts/police stations, but the languages needed are mainly those of the immigrants (east-european languages, arabic, french, english, chinese, etc.)
I have a degree in Translation&Interpreting (2nd webpage), and have been at conferences a couple of times.
I suppose that after some years you can make a living, but most of the interpreters I know (myself included) have parallel jobs.
You can also become a certified interpreter by the ministry of foreign affairs (via translation&interpreting degree or via official exam).
Anyway, you don't need any qualification apart from Secondary School to work.
Maybe you'd like to check these links:

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting in Spain - info needed por favor

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs