Memory Training
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2006

Some years ago, I took part in a selection test for the Belgian Senate.
The rector of Brussels university read a French text for 20 minutes. You were not allowed to take notes. When he finished you had to write a summary in Dutch of what had been read.
Usually tests at international institutions consist of 8 (?) -12(?) minutes of consecutive interpreting.
During a session about study methods we had to write down as much as we could remember of 15 words, which were read out.

These words were divided into three categories:
"Easy words", which you use in daily life, "difficult words" and "fabricated words" which make no sense.

The group who had to remember easy words got a score of 13/15.
I had a score of 8/15.
The people, who had to remember "fabricated words" had a score of 6/15.

These words were read a second time.
The first group had 15/15
I had 9/15.
The last group had 7/15.
My question is : "how can you train your memory that you get a score of at least 12-13/15" on the "difficult word" part and 10 on the no-sense part.
Tips about memory training would be welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mind Performance Hacks Dec 21, 2006

maybe this book, authored by Ron Hale-Evans, can help. it contains tips on improving memory, creativity, math, etc.

Cristina Popescu  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
English to Romanian
+ ...
Other memory training books Dec 21, 2006

Try looking for books written by Tony Buzan. He's got an interesting series on using your memory, speed reading and other techniques. His two books on memory training "Use Your Memory" and "Master Your Memory" would be particularly helpful in your case. He actually describes some techniques that involve memorizing a lot of the type of information you are talking about. It just takes a little bit of patience and a lot of hard work.
Best of luck.

Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:44
+ ...
Harry Lorayne Dec 21, 2006

Try looking for material by Harry Lorayne. This guy is phenomenal and he's been around for years. I've been using some of his methods since 1978 and they work. Here's a link (one among many) and his books are widely available. Learning to memorize takes a little work but it's an invaluable skill with multiple uses. Good luck.

Aleph _Trans
Local time: 09:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may want to take a look at these material Dec 22, 2006

1. Approaches to the teaching of interpreting mnemonic and analytic strategies
Jiminez and Ballester in Teaching Translation and Interpreting, Eds Dollerup and Loddegarde, 1991.

José Luis

Local time: 14:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Attend lectures, and then try to interpret them Jan 2, 2007

I had the similar problem. My memory was quite poor, well, not good enough from concecutive interpreting. I trained myslef. My main tech was to attend various lectures in unvercities, I mean not lectures on memery training, but broadly, on literature, history, geography etc. It was hard, very hard, yet perfect, perfectly perfect. My main equipment was a recorder, a common recorder with tapes, not other devices such as MP3 and recording memory disk. It took only half semaster. The total time consumed was only 200 hrs. Anyway, that is my experiece. You would say it is very strange. True, but the turnout is unbelievable.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
The House of Lords and the House of Commons Jan 2, 2007

Whenever I am in London, I go there and try to interpret in my head from English>French what is being said. The Lords are easy to follow, but the Commons aren't.
I think that next time when I am in London, I am going to follow your advise, but more memory-training oriented.

mashaco  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:44
English to Russian
+ ...
repeated exercises Feb 1, 2007

-Practice with a tape recorder

Start the tape and let it run for 1 sentence. Stop and repeat the sentence. Start the tape again, this time for 2 sentences(1st & 2nd together). Stop the tape and repeat both sentences. And go on. Always start with sentence #1. When you feel you are missing words, go back and listen again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory Training

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs