Mobile menu

Do I need a visa to work in the US?
Thread poster: John Garside

John Garside  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 8, 2007

I recently did a 3 day conference in the states (I'm Canadian) and will probably be asked to do this twice a year. Even though I've been interpreting for many years I've never worked outside of Canada before. Before I accept their next conference in the summer I'd look to look more closely at the legallity of my situation. I'd hate to get turned away at the airport or get a bill from the IRS.

Any thoughts? Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-08 00:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
English to Italian
Check this Feb 8, 2007

Hi John,

Take a look at the INS website for more information, or I would call the US embassy/consulate in Canada to get full information on the subject.

The homepage is

Hope this helps

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
English to Russian
+ ...
they will not turn you away Feb 8, 2007

...if you will be careful with what you're saying.
And i do not think you will get a bill from IRS as you are not the US subject and you are there only, say, a week in a year. I would wonder though what CRA might think about this income))

Anyway - here comes a wise advise:

Read the below and email your question - the easiest and free way (otherwise it may cost something) - David is THE EXPERT.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists US / Canada Real Estate Specialists Home office at: 4466 Prospect Road North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7 Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

email to

Disclaimer: This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment. Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at . If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

John Garside wrote:
I'd hate to get turned away at the airport or get a bill from the IRS.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a visa to work in the US?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs