How to handle patent as material in deposition/trial
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
French to English
Mar 27, 2007

Friends, fellows: When you are interpreting in an intellectual property case, do you take pains to translate the patent beforehand in case you're asked to read any portion of it or one of the deponents does so? (And in that case, do you charge your client for the translation?) Or is it enough to be familiar with the material and have worked up a good gloss ahead of time?

Thanks.

Nuria Navarro
Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sight translation Mar 27, 2007

Hi!

What I normally do when I suspect that somebody is going to quote a text that I have is to read and prepare (vocabulary, underline the main ideas, etc.) it before the conference, so that if somebody reads a part of it aloud, I don't get lost.

You don't have to charge your client for that, because it is considered as part of the interpreting process.

Good Luck!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:48
English to Thai
+ ...
Translation fee for patent Mar 28, 2007

I always charge extra fee for patent documents.
Reason : Patent grammar and word structure are so long, complicated, complex and legal oriented, my sight translation may not be accurate enough.
My scope: Japanese, English, German, French and Thai medical or engineering patents.
Regards,
Soonthon L.

bambam
bambam
Local time: 13:48
English to German
+ ...
o. T., but ... Mar 28, 2007

Hi Stephanie,

I do not know how familiar you are with patent databases, but if you are lucky a family search in depatis or epoline could result in finding a suitable translation of the patent containing the essential vocabulary and making it easier to make yourself familiar with the subject of the disclosure.

However, this only applies, if the patent has entered "an international" phase, e.g. a pct-application or EP-application.

In European patent appli
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

I do not know how familiar you are with patent databases, but if you are lucky a family search in depatis or epoline could result in finding a suitable translation of the patent containing the essential vocabulary and making it easier to make yourself familiar with the subject of the disclosure.

However, this only applies, if the patent has entered "an international" phase, e.g. a pct-application or EP-application.

In European patent applications you can at least find the claims in DE, EN, FR in the first publication of the patent, that is 18 month after priority date.

In any case, always carefully check the translations, sometimes they are, well, ... not really good or just wrong,
as some peoply think it is cheaper to translate the texts themself than hiring a professional translator.

Good Luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle patent as material in deposition/trial

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »