https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/75358-czech_english_interpreter_for_a_day_cost_advice.html

Czech-English interpreter for a day... cost advice?
Thread poster: Maya M
Maya M
Maya M
English to Czech
Jun 13, 2007

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for some kind of price guideline for following situation.

I'm getting married in England during summer 2008. I come from Czech Republic and my fiance is English. We have decided to have the ceremony and reception in England since his family is bigger and from my family I will only be inviting my parents. There will be many guests at the wedding who come from Czech, but all of them will be my friends who can to some degree communicate
... See more
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for some kind of price guideline for following situation.

I'm getting married in England during summer 2008. I come from Czech Republic and my fiance is English. We have decided to have the ceremony and reception in England since his family is bigger and from my family I will only be inviting my parents. There will be many guests at the wedding who come from Czech, but all of them will be my friends who can to some degree communicate in English. Apart from my parents. I would like them to feel included and be able to communicate with anyone (especially my partner's family) but while I'm usually doing the interpreting, obviously it won't be possible on the day. I'm also a bit wary of instructing some of my friends to do the interpreting, because they might either enjoy the day less, as they won't have much freedom and would be tied to my parents all day, or they will forget about the task half way through the day and my parents won't enjoy themselves.

Therefore I would like to find suitable interpreter for a day. Preferably of Czech nationality with experience of English language (not necessarily registered interpreter, maybe someone living in England for several years who has been occasionally interpreting like me between my partner and my parents). Someone who would be able to stay around my parents and be to hand if translation was needed, but not making them feel awkward when no interpreting is necessary. Wedding would be around midday and reception will finish near midnight, so roughly 12 hours of being to hand. As I said, there will be many Czech people present, so interpreting will not be necessary for every single conversation.

If the person wasn't from the area of the wedding (Dorset) then I was thinking of offering free accommodation for 2 nights (B&B) and travel expenses.

Does anyone has any experience with this kind of work or could someone give me some clues on what interpreters for occasion like that might charge?

Thank you very much

Maya
Collapse

Maya M
Maya M
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
forget 'Czech-English' bit... imagine I would ask you.... Jun 16, 2007

ok.. so it seems there might not be that many czech - english interpreters out here... but could someone give me idea how would it work in your own language pair? Would you agree to do something like this if you were approached? Would you be happy with what is offered on the top of the pay? Would you have any further requests? How much would you expect per hour for informal interpreting like this?

Please give me little idea on this before I officially approach someone...

... See more
ok.. so it seems there might not be that many czech - english interpreters out here... but could someone give me idea how would it work in your own language pair? Would you agree to do something like this if you were approached? Would you be happy with what is offered on the top of the pay? Would you have any further requests? How much would you expect per hour for informal interpreting like this?

Please give me little idea on this before I officially approach someone...

Thanks Maya
Collapse

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:29
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
at my friends' wedding Jun 18, 2007

Recently I was at a wedding of my friends. The situation was very similar. He was American of Polish origin, she was Polish, the wedding was in Poland, there were both families, so there were his Polish cousins, not speaking Enlish, and his American family, not speaking Polish, her family, speaking Polish only, English speaking, Polish speaking and bilingual friends. The bride and groom were both bilingual. The ceremony in the church was also bilingual. I am a professional interpreter, but my fr... See more
Recently I was at a wedding of my friends. The situation was very similar. He was American of Polish origin, she was Polish, the wedding was in Poland, there were both families, so there were his Polish cousins, not speaking Enlish, and his American family, not speaking Polish, her family, speaking Polish only, English speaking, Polish speaking and bilingual friends. The bride and groom were both bilingual. The ceremony in the church was also bilingual. I am a professional interpreter, but my friends didn't want me to work, they wanted me to enjoy the party. They hired three interpreters to facilitate communication between the families. Imagine, there were second cousins who had never met before!
I cannot advise you on the rates - there are different rates in the UK market, I think I would charge my regular consecutive rate for a day. This is rather simple job, no special preparation needed, but still - takes time. Travel expenses, accomodation and meals (I presume, this person would be sitted with wedding guests and served meals, but usually there is no time for an interpreter to eat) is a must.

Anyway - all the best!

Joanna

[Edited at 2007-06-18 09:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Czech-English interpreter for a day... cost advice?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »