https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/79091-interpreting_rates_in_the_unites_states_california.html

Interpreting rates in the Unites States - California
Thread poster: Ana P. Gutierrez
Ana P. Gutierrez
Ana P. Gutierrez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

Hello,

I am a translator and interpreter, having worked in both fields mostly as an in-house employee for two companies during the last 13 years.

I just started working as a freelancer in interpretation and am getting calls from agencies in California and other parts of the U.S. about providing them with my rates.
I'd like to set my rates, taking into account my formal education (in translation and interpretation) and 13 years of experience in interpreting; howeve
... See more
Hello,

I am a translator and interpreter, having worked in both fields mostly as an in-house employee for two companies during the last 13 years.

I just started working as a freelancer in interpretation and am getting calls from agencies in California and other parts of the U.S. about providing them with my rates.
I'd like to set my rates, taking into account my formal education (in translation and interpretation) and 13 years of experience in interpreting; however, also taking into account that I would like to remain competitive in the market.

Could someone please guide me as far as the rates are concerned?
My education and experience are in medical, legal, health and business interpretation.
I do not have any State certification, which to my understanding allows an interpreter to go up to a higher pay level (I think..).

- Is there a different rate depending on the subject of interpretation (medical, legal, general)
- Depending on the type of interpretation (consecutive, simultaneous, conference, etc).

My goal is to interpret for medical, legal and conference.

I know my question is pretty broad, and it may not be very quick to answer, but any help will be truly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ana
Collapse

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello Jul 19, 2007

Hi Ana, if you write to me at my email, I'll be glad to give you some suggestions.

Tae Kim
Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
It depends Jul 21, 2007

I've done plenty of freelance interpretations, and I can tell you that rates differ with each interpretation. I once worked for a man who just came from Korea to visit luxury brand car dealerships in LA to import these cars back to Korea, and he paid me $150 for 4,5 hours of work plus $50 for gas expenses, because I had to drive him around the dealerships.

And I did an interpretation for a businessman working at a business expo at Anaheim Convention Center, and I got paid $30 an ho
... See more
I've done plenty of freelance interpretations, and I can tell you that rates differ with each interpretation. I once worked for a man who just came from Korea to visit luxury brand car dealerships in LA to import these cars back to Korea, and he paid me $150 for 4,5 hours of work plus $50 for gas expenses, because I had to drive him around the dealerships.

And I did an interpretation for a businessman working at a business expo at Anaheim Convention Center, and I got paid $30 an hour, 4 hours total, and he paid me $30 tip afterwards.

I usually require $30 per hour minimum for any interpretation and two hour minimum, plus gas expenses if using my own car is required for the clients.

Freelance interpretation can be fun since you get to meet different people and learn about their businesses. I once got paid $40 for less than 30 minutes of interpretation over phone, and this was for a businessman who needed a very short interpretation with his customer.

I also did over the phone teleconference interpretation for an out of state government agency, and it was all done from my home using my phone, and I got paid $40 an hour.

Interpretation can be a good way to take a break from sometimes boring translating, and get to talk to people and learn about their craft and gain experience. I'd suggest charging at least $30, two hours minimum to start, and you could charge more if the client looks to be an high-end customer. Best of luck to you.
Collapse

Ana P. Gutierrez
United States
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 21, 2007

Thank you so much for your input Tae. Truly appreciated.
(:

Yvette Neisser Moreno
Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Tae Jul 22, 2007

I'd suggest charging at least $30, two hours minimum to start, and you could charge more if the client looks to be an high-end customer. Best of luck to you. [/quote]

Hi Ana, I just wanted to say that I'm in MD, but that's exactly what I charge (plus gas/travel expenses) for non-specialized non-technical consecutive interpretation. I imagine that qualified legal or other specialized interpreters can/do charge more.

Yvette

Ana P. Gutierrez
United States
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great info on US interpretation basic daily rates Jul 22, 2007

Thank you so much Yvette. Its great to have colleagues that are so willing to help those who are starting.

Many thanks,
Ana
(:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting rates in the Unites States - California

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »