Mobile menu

Interpreters and the media
Thread poster: Nuria Navarro

Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2007

I am currently doing my PhD on conference interpreting. In one of the parts of the study, I analize the role of the interpreter in the Spanish and in the internacional media (TV, books, newspapers, films, etc.)

I already have some examples such as the films "The interpreter" with Nicole Kidman or Oliver Stone's "Looking for Fidel" and the books "Corazón tan blanco" by Javier Marías and "El Jinete Polaco" by Antonio Muñoz Molina, but I would like to have some more (it doen't matter the language)

Any suggestion??

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2007-08-20 11:28]

Direct link Reply with quote
English to Latvian
+ ...
Suggestion Aug 20, 2007

You may consider including a short story by the Austrian author Ingeborg Bachmann. The original title is 'Simultan', I'm not aware of the title in English. But then, it barely covers professional aspects.

[Edited at 2007-08-20 19:47]

Radica Schenck  Identity Verified
English to Macedonian
+ ...
three things come to my mind... Aug 20, 2007

...for now

1. "The status and image of interpreters" by Dorothea Beck ISBN: 978-3-8300-2702-7

2. Die Flüsterer / The Whisperers
Deutschland/Germany 2004, Digi Beta, 80:00
OF: Deutsch, Französisch, Englisch, UT: Englisch oder Deutsch

3.Morascher, Arnold. 2004. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Rolle und Status des Dolmetschers und Übersetzers im US-amerikanischen und europäischen Spielfilm ab 1990. Diploma thesis, Karl-Franzens Universität Graz.
* Representation of interpreters in films.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Films and TV with court interpreters Aug 21, 2007

I think the old movie "Judgment at Nuremberg" depicted interpreters in the early scenes.

In the 1990s, there was a U.S. TV series called Reasonable Doubts. One of the lead characters was a deaf lawyer, and she was sometimes seen using a sign-language interpreter in the courtroom scenes.

[Edited at 2007-08-21 07:00]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Historias de la interpretación simultánea Aug 21, 2007

by Isidoro Calín de Briones, one of AICE's founding members.ín%20de%20Briones,%20Isidoro_33597_27_1.shtml

Although it comes across as a collection of anecdotes told by a veteran from the era immediately after Nuremburg, it is told against the backdrop of interpretation's coming of age in the Spanish mass media, which the author explains. (That's of course one point of view in a highly-politicized situation).

I was able to find a copy at a Retiro newsstand, but I daresay an establishment like the Casa del Libro can get in touch with the author/publisher. It may also be possible to get in touch directly with the author for more information.

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
English to Russian
+ ...
More on Nuremberg trial interpreters Aug 21, 2007

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Movie: Shining Through Aug 24, 2007

...with Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith, set during the period of WWII.

Don't know if this helps much in your study, but I remember that Griffith's character gets promoted from secretary to spy after successfully using her German language skills to uncover the fact that the CIA interpreter was giving them wrong information.

[Edited at 2007-08-24 15:40]

Aleph _Trans
Local time: 10:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
A couple books plus a video Aug 27, 2007

Hope you are well.

Have you tried...

1. Interpreters at the United Nations: A History by Jesús Baigorri-Jalón - ISBN 84-7800-643-5

2. La interpretación de conferencias: el nacimiento de una profesión, de Paris a Nuremberg by Jesús Baigorri-Jalón (Language: Spanish) - ISBN 84-8444-055-9

Jesús is at the University of Salamanca and you may want to contact him. He will be in Argentina for Interpreta 2009 as he is one of our plenary speakers.

Another source is:

"The interpreters: a historical perspective" by Evelyn Moggio-Ortiz (AIIC). This is a video made at UN NY on the occasion of the UN's fiftieth anniversary. Worth seeing it

[Edited at 2007-08-27 17:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters and the media

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs