https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/81911-community_dialogue_event_first_timer.html

Community Dialogue event. First timer.
Thread poster: praviles
praviles
praviles
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2007

Hello everyone.

I was hoping some of you could give me some idea as to what I can expect at a Community Dialogue.

This particular activity is being held at a university. I have not been told much yet. It is two months away and they said they would contact me later on to give me more details.

My main concern at this point is to practice my simultaneous interpreting skills and to do some research on the subject that will be discussed (vocabulary***). Unfortu
... See more
Hello everyone.

I was hoping some of you could give me some idea as to what I can expect at a Community Dialogue.

This particular activity is being held at a university. I have not been told much yet. It is two months away and they said they would contact me later on to give me more details.

My main concern at this point is to practice my simultaneous interpreting skills and to do some research on the subject that will be discussed (vocabulary***). Unfortunately, as I said, I don't have much information on hand at this point.

What I do know is that there will be 20 - 50 people attending this event. It will last some 5 hours. I will be sitting in a separate area with the equipment.

I was told that it could possibly be about art and getting the minority community involved in local activities, etc.

Has anyone got any experience in this sort of event?

I would really appreciate some ideas.

Thank you!!!
Collapse

Nuria Navarro
Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too much time Aug 23, 2007

Hi!

I don't know if I understood correctly, but are you going to interpret simultaneously on your own for 5 hours??? If that's the case, I'm afraid you made a huge mistake. Mainly because the human mind can concentrate at a 100% for 20 to 40 minutes. That means it would be extremelly necessary for you to find another interpreter to work with you in the booth.

I am a conference interpreter myself and the longest period I have interpreted non-stop is 1 hour and a half. A
... See more
Hi!

I don't know if I understood correctly, but are you going to interpret simultaneously on your own for 5 hours??? If that's the case, I'm afraid you made a huge mistake. Mainly because the human mind can concentrate at a 100% for 20 to 40 minutes. That means it would be extremelly necessary for you to find another interpreter to work with you in the booth.

I am a conference interpreter myself and the longest period I have interpreted non-stop is 1 hour and a half. And the last half an hour it was really hard to find the appropiate words (although I was interpreting from English into Spanish, which is my mothertongue, and that's supposed to be easier!!).

So, the first thing you have to do is to find somebody to work with you and as soon as they tell you what the talk is going to be about: a) ask the organizers to give you as much information as possible (sometimes you feel you are a pin in the neck for them, always telling them to send you information, but that's how it works if they are reluctant to do in); b) make a glossary with all the vocabulary related to the topic and; c) try to contact the speakers, ask the organizers for their emails, normally they are very nice and in case they are going to read a text, they can send it to you, so that you can prepare it.

The day of the meeting it is important to keep calm and if you make mistakes, forget about them and just go on interpreting.

Good luck!!

Nuria
Collapse

praviles
praviles
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 24, 2007

Thank you for your response Nuria!

Re: hours. I'm sure this is something that can be resolved.
By the way, I made a mistake in my post. The event will not last 5 hrs, it will last 2.5 hrs. Either way, from what you tell me, that is still really too long for just one interpreter.

So, I will get in touch with the organizers a.s.a.p. and find out how the event is scheduled. I'm sure they'll understand my concern. They wouldn't want my interpreting ability to suff
... See more
Thank you for your response Nuria!

Re: hours. I'm sure this is something that can be resolved.
By the way, I made a mistake in my post. The event will not last 5 hrs, it will last 2.5 hrs. Either way, from what you tell me, that is still really too long for just one interpreter.

So, I will get in touch with the organizers a.s.a.p. and find out how the event is scheduled. I'm sure they'll understand my concern. They wouldn't want my interpreting ability to suffer, so it is in their best interest, really. Hopefully, they will see it that way.

I will definitely follow your advice from a - c. It was really helpful. Very practical. I will be using this "method" for future assignments, as well.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Community Dialogue event. First timer.

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »