Most common subjects
Thread poster: Kristin90
Nov 3, 2007

Hi!
I'd like to know what are the most common subjects in conferences?
Science, medicine, economic, finance or others?
So I know which field I can possibly specialize (in a very far future!)...
Thanks very much!

Magdalena Psiuk
Magdalena Psiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:30
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't think that this is the right criterion. Nov 3, 2007

In my opinion you should choose your specialization basing on your interests, knowledge and personal preferences, and not on "the most common subjects" If you know nothing about medicine, for example, and you're not interested in that a bit, you will never be able to learn about teh subject well enough to be a professional reliable translator or interpretor, even if you read hundreds of books.

Magda

[Edi
... See more
In my opinion you should choose your specialization basing on your interests, knowledge and personal preferences, and not on "the most common subjects" If you know nothing about medicine, for example, and you're not interested in that a bit, you will never be able to learn about teh subject well enough to be a professional reliable translator or interpretor, even if you read hundreds of books.

Magda

[Edited at 2007-11-03 11:55]
Collapse

Kristin90
Kristin90
TOPIC STARTER
I like them all! Nov 3, 2007

Thanks for your reply, but the fact is that there's not a field which I particularly dislike (apart from law, which I would never study): I like medicine, science, technology, literature, economics, etc... virtually all categories, and among them I'd like to know the most common ones since I can't study them all.
I hope I've been clear now...
Bye bye!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 22:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Elderly advice ... Nov 3, 2007

Hi Kristin!

Reading between the lines I get the impression you're ... young ... let's say, still in secondary school. Is that right?

From the great age of (guess!), with over 35 years of professional life behind me (and, hopefully, still with a few more decades in front) let me tell you this: don't ever start out looking for a career as an interpreter or a translator. Before 'ending up' in one of these boring jobs (like many members and users of the ProZ.com community
... See more
Hi Kristin!

Reading between the lines I get the impression you're ... young ... let's say, still in secondary school. Is that right?

From the great age of (guess!), with over 35 years of professional life behind me (and, hopefully, still with a few more decades in front) let me tell you this: don't ever start out looking for a career as an interpreter or a translator. Before 'ending up' in one of these boring jobs (like many members and users of the ProZ.com community, if their comments in the forum are anything to go by) you would do far better to get real qualifications for a real profession.

You don't like the law? - nor do I . That's one reason I qualified first as an engineer . Then I discovered the opportunities engineering offered me for foreign travel; and with that came the need for better language skills (I was radically anti-languages at school, now I couldn't live without them...), then came an opening as an in-house technical translator (in an engineering field, of course, but not in my home country), then ... , then ... and finally early retirement - in which I still have translation as a source of supplementary income.

When you get closer to the time when you'll need to decide what to study at university, Kristin, do not choose 'languages, translation, interpretation'. Go for what you are interested in at that time, get top-quality 'qualies', and then exploit your language skills as the 'cherry on the cake', helping you get - and stay - one step ahead of the crowd in the job-hunters' queue in the Global Economy.

Good luck!

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Good Advice Nov 3, 2007

You've received good advice from those above.

To know what the most popular subjects for conferences are, just look at what the most popular subjects human beings all over talk about are, and you'll have the answer.

They talk about everything.

In certain areas like mine, there are a number of subjects that come up rather frequently such as environmental problems, law enforcement, transportation, industrial engineering, public health, economic development, e
... See more
You've received good advice from those above.

To know what the most popular subjects for conferences are, just look at what the most popular subjects human beings all over talk about are, and you'll have the answer.

They talk about everything.

In certain areas like mine, there are a number of subjects that come up rather frequently such as environmental problems, law enforcement, transportation, industrial engineering, public health, economic development, education and binational relations in general between the U.S. and Mexico. That is because I'm here on the border.

This mix can be very different in other places.

Follow your own interests; fortunately you appear to have a lot of time to work with.
Collapse

Kristin90
Kristin90
TOPIC STARTER
still two years Nov 4, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

Hi Kristin!

MediaMatrix

I'm 17, so in two years I have to choose which university to attend.
Maybe keep languages as "the cherry above the cake" is worth for translation; but is the same for conference interpretation? Perhaps yes, but I know you have to do a lot of training to do that.
An moreover, it's more than three years that I've wanted to become a conference interpreter, and I would like it to be MY job, not just A PART of my job.
It is true that I have a lot of interests, but this outstrips the orhers by far... And I'm sure that if I don't choose it I'll repent later.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most common subjects

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »