Mobile menu

Off topic: BBC R4 Learning Curve
Thread poster: Daniel Bird

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
German to English
Feb 4, 2008

A sketchy and slightly Eurocentric piece tonight about the dearth of interpreters coming through the ranks in the UK; apparently you're all reaching retirement age (not that I believe it personally) so how on earth will all the lifecoaches, media analysts and financial advisers communicate in future, poor loves..?

Happy listening at

Direct link Reply with quote

festinalente  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
English to Korean
+ ...
Interesting Feb 5, 2008

Thank you for posting!

It was very interesting. Even in Korea, language-related majors are not popular with young students since there's no guarantee they all end up landing a good-pay job. Employers prefer finance or business related majors to English or other sort of language counterparts.

United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
Member (2004)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Looks interesting... Feb 5, 2008

thanks for the link Daniel.

Sally Winch  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Lack of communication between the UK and linguists based abroad. Feb 5, 2008

I moved to Italy after being labelled 'unemployable' at the careers fair at my UK uni in the late 80s - despite having a 2-1 Hons degree in Italian with French with a distinction in spoken language and 2 years experience of working with major multinationals in Italy - and found a fertile world for translation and interpreting. When I moved back to the UK 6 years later it was to a world unaware of the thriving language businesses abroad. I have written to the programme makers and suggested they contact some of the UK language associations and check out the real numbers of English linguists living and working abroad having come to the profession at a later stage, and also suggested they look at the training courses available outside the UK. I would imagine they could recruit many skilled linguistfrom abroad if they offered them attractive enough packages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BBC R4 Learning Curve

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs