Mobile menu

interpreting and translation(Diplomacy) in Westminster University
Thread poster: seven7374
Local time: 12:52
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2008

Dear all, I was admitted by the course of MA in interpreting and translation (Diplomacy) recently.

I am wondering if this program is worthy of studying by spending so much money. I know the other program of MA in Conference interpreting is a pretty tough and excellent program. How about this one, then?

Since this program is not awarded of EMCI certificate, what can I do if I really hope to work in EU?

Thank you all for providing me some advice!

Direct link Reply with quote
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
French to English
+ ...
Talk to a past student Mar 3, 2008

The best thing to do in a case like this (what I would do anyway) would be to talk to a current student or a past student about the course itself and the options available after graduation. Email one of the lecturers, ask an opinion and then get a name of a student/past student and ask loads of questions. The answers should help you to make an informed decision. You'd probably end up working on the private market or at the UN though.

[Edited at 2008-03-03 21:58]

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 13:52
English to Croatian
+ ...
language combination Mar 3, 2008

what is your language combination?
interpreting school at westminster is very strict, many students don't pass the final examination and don't get their EMCI degree (and lose the money they paid for the course)
only certain laguage combinations are admitted to interpreting course. if they cannot offer teachers for your language combinations, then you won't be able to enroll.

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 12:52
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thank you all! Mar 4, 2008

First of all, thank you for your advice!
I will try to connect with the teachers or students in Westminster to get the answers.

My language combination is Chinese A, EnglishB, and Japanese C.

I am sure the combination is offered in Westminster.

However, since the program I got admission does not offer EMCI certificate, and somehow slightly differs from CIT, I really want to know if the program is as highly recommanded as CIT program.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
English to French
+ ...
To work for the EU : CIT Mar 21, 2008


Only the CIT graduates are awarded the EMCI.
At Westminster, CIT is the only program that trains you to become a conference interpreter. As far as I know, the MA in interpreting and translation will at best include a lot of translating and an introduction to simultaneous interpreting.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting and translation(Diplomacy) in Westminster University

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs