Mobile menu

best profile competition cancelled due to the negative response...
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Apr 12, 2002

I\'ve decided to withdraw my suggestion for the \"best profile competition\". The idea behind it was to draw people\'s attention to the best profiles - for content and artistic value - as an example of how you could market yourself and gain clients. I was surprised to see how many colleagues were totally against it, calling for example some elements of my profile a \"gimmick\". Well, obviously I\'m disappointed, but I have learned something.

Giovanni

Direct link Reply with quote

FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Povero Giovanni! Apr 12, 2002

[Edited at 2003-08-29 16:00]

[Edited at 2003-08-29 16:07]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
beh, sì, me la sono voluta.... Apr 12, 2002

ma non mi aspettavo una simile rivolta... non credo proprio che la gente comincerebbe a scopiazzare gli altri profili, e non mi sembrava poi \"a terrible idea\". Era solo una proposta \"creativa\", ma ovviamente la fantasia è ancora un concetto sconosciuto a molti.

Ti ringrazio per il supporto... Palanca = Einstein, nel suo piccolo - 38, letteralmente.

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-12 12:32 ]

Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
We have a winner! Apr 12, 2002

Ciao Giovanni,

I agree with everything that\'s been said above, but I am not able to contribute in Italian...

I never knew of your suggestion...but I just visited your profile: MMMMMAAAAMMMMMAAAAAMMMMIIIAAAAA !!!!!

I hope this makes you feel better . I was truly impressed.

Praising your creativity,

Cynthia (Cinzia per te)

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
German to English
+ ...
What is creativity? Apr 12, 2002

I am the contributor who called a lot of elements on your site \'old gimmicks\'.

Just to show that everybody has a right to his/her opinion: I do not think that pasting elements from one site to another without regard to the site\'s content qualifies as \'creativity\'. Write your own tags, make them relevant and appealing and I will stand up and cheer.

On a more serious note: Moving text, blinking text, non-relevant \'cute tricks\' (gimmicks) tend to work against the advertiser.

Still, another opinion!

Maybe, tomorrow I will learn to agree with anything and everything. Until then ....

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ursula makes a fine and useful point Apr 12, 2002

Re Ursula\'s good and insightful comment in her previous post:

>

She said a great deal there (probably an understatement) about such visual trivialities. They tend to annoy and repel business viewers who seek substantive information (on which they would make \"buy\" decisions or referrals) - instead of amusement - about a translator\'s services and capabilities.

HTH. Regards to all in this thread.

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)

Los Angeles

FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Creativity Apr 12, 2002

[Edited at 2003-08-29 16:00]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Ursula... Apr 12, 2002

Hi...

obviously, you are entitled to your own views... my idea of creativity must differ a lot from yours. I appreciate your frankness, and I must say I\'ve been blown over by the power of your prose.

Giovanni

saviaul
Italian to Greek
Una meraviglia Apr 12, 2002

Giovanni,

Il tuo è uno dei Curriculum piu interessanti che ho visto in giro.

I miei sinceri complimenti,

Savia

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
German to English
+ ...
I am glad that there are different ideas and opinions. Apr 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 14:58, guarnieri wrote:

Hi...

obviously, you are entitled to your own views... my idea of creativity must differ a lot from yours. I appreciate your frankness, and I must say I\'ve been blown over by the power of your prose.

Giovanni

I mean it!

I will not get personal!

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Ecco, proprio Apr 12, 2002

nelle parole di Francesco trovo quello che intendevo quando ho scritto che siete spassosi, troppi si preoccupano di essere e/o apparire seriosi...

che barba che noia, che noia che barbaaa

Punto a Capo
English to Italian
+ ...
Fantastico! Apr 16, 2002

Caro Giovanni, per quanto poco possa valere la mia opinione, io trovo il tuo profilo semplicemente fantastico e provo una certa, sana, invidia per la tua fantasia! Per quanto riguarda le critiche.. è sempre così.. quando si esce dal mucchio si è sempre esposti alle correnti, sia favorevoli che contrarie. Fa parte del gioco. Ma chissenefrega no?

xxxvesparosa
Italian to English
Bravo Giovanni! Apr 17, 2002

I didn\'t know of the contest either, but I would have lost hands down, as I take myself WAY too seriously, hee hee...

I think it\'s cool that you keep changing your icon and your profile, and think that whatever a profile says or contains, it will always be a reflection of that particular individual...

Way to go!

Fiona

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Simone Catania[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best profile competition cancelled due to the negative response...

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs