Mobile menu

lost in translation
Thread poster: Pizzarruni
Pizzarruni
Local time: 14:07
Italian to English
Oct 16, 2004

My name is Fabio Im an Italian native who has recently began a language course at Liverpool University. My question is: Is there any hope to land jobs in translation for someone unexperienced in this line of work, with no university qualification in the target languages, but with the sound knowledge of these which only a bi-lingual upbringing can provide? Should I just get a job as a waiter or something, wasting the fact that I have an understanding of these languages to some extent better than some graduates with an official piece of paper?

Direct link Reply with quote

Befanetta81
Italy
Member (2007)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes Oct 17, 2004

Hallo,

My name is Annelore and I'm a belingual girl. I don't have an university degree, but I work as freelance translator without problems. We don't have a translator register in Italy , in that way anyone can do this job.

PS: per favore, cari colleghi non arrabbiatevi per le parole scritte ma è la verità, nessun albo nessuna restrizione.

Buona domenica a tutti
Befanetta

Gloria Nobili
Italy
Local time: 15:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Essere bilingui Oct 20, 2004

... è una buona cosa, ma non basta per essere un traduttore. Anzi, IMHO, il bilingue (nel 99% dei casi) non è una persona che conosce "perfettamente" due lingue. In genere ne conosce "discretamente" due, ma "bene" nessuna (insomma ha un piede in due scarpe). Poi, ovviamente ci sono le eccezioni.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Simone Catania[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

lost in translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs