Mobile menu

lost in translation
Thread poster: Pizzarruni
Local time: 08:31
Italian to English
Oct 16, 2004

My name is Fabio Im an Italian native who has recently began a language course at Liverpool University. My question is: Is there any hope to land jobs in translation for someone unexperienced in this line of work, with no university qualification in the target languages, but with the sound knowledge of these which only a bi-lingual upbringing can provide? Should I just get a job as a waiter or something, wasting the fact that I have an understanding of these languages to some extent better than some graduates with an official piece of paper?

Direct link Reply with quote

Italian to German
+ ...
Yes Oct 17, 2004

My name is Annelore and I'm a belingual girl. I don't have an university degree, but I work as freelance translator without problems. We don't have a translator register in Italy , in that way anyone can do this job.

PS: per favore, cari colleghi non arrabbiatevi per le parole scritte ma è la verità, nessun albo nessuna restrizione.

Buona domenica a tutti

Gloria Nobili
Local time: 09:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Essere bilingui Oct 20, 2004

... è una buona cosa, ma non basta per essere un traduttore. Anzi, IMHO, il bilingue (nel 99% dei casi) non è una persona che conosce "perfettamente" due lingue. In genere ne conosce "discretamente" due, ma "bene" nessuna (insomma ha un piede in due scarpe). Poi, ovviamente ci sono le eccezioni.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Simone Catania[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

lost in translation

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs