Off topic: Moving to the south of Italy, Calabria
Thread poster: Andrzej Lejman

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
German to Polish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2006

Dear all,

I don’t like winter in Poland. I think about moving to the south of Europe for the period between November and April at least and as far to the south as possible. Can you tell me please how much may it cost to rent a small house (ca. 100 - 120 sq. m) or an apartment (70 - 90 sq m) in the region of Calabria? What are the living costs, like food etc.- how much may two persons need monthly without any extras, but not to be excessively stingy?
One thing more, very important - the Internet access. Are there any problems and how much does it cost?
Any problems like intolerance? Me and my wife are over 50, we don't have kids (they are already adult and live their own life in Europe), so problems like school do not apply.
Any input and advice much appreciated.

Best regards from Poland

Direct link Reply with quote

lanave  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Winters... Oct 24, 2006

Hi Andrzej,

you had a very nice idea... Well I live in Puglia and not in Calabria, however I can give you some general information that could be useful to you. First of all I apologise if my English is not correct, I hope you will understand.

RENTING HOUSES/APPARTMENTS: it depends on the area. If you decide to live downtown rentals are higher than outside the town. If you decide to live near the sea, touristic areas are of course more expensive. So it is important to define some criteria based upon your needs.

LIVING COSTS: they are not high, the same as for rentals. However you have a wide range of choice of shops, supermarkets and city markets where you will be able to find excellent goods at affordable prices.

INTERNET ACCESS: it is available everywhere. Towns are better supplied, of course, but as internet services are also provided by the main telecommunications company (Telecom Italia) you will be able to chose among a big variety of services (both for type and cost). Moreover, there are also other younger companies that supply that kind of services which are valid as well.

INTOLERANCE: people from the South of Italy are generally known as very friendly towards foreign people. So you will not have that kind of problems. To be honest, you will probably have to face some others which are not less important: I refer to small crimes and robberies. These situations can be "easly" avoided by being very carefull when going around. In this case also it really depends on the area where you live. Crimes are more frequent in towns, but it can happen to be a victim of a robbery everywhere.

I hope this will be a starting point for your researches. Should you need any help, I am here

[Edited at 2006-10-24 09:09]

[Edited at 2006-10-24 09:10]

transparx  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
English to Italian
+ ...
... Oct 27, 2006

Hi Andrzej,

I was born and partly grew up in Calabria. Now I go back at least once a year to visit my family. Last year, due to family circumstances, I spent five (long) months there --from December to May.

All in all, I agree with what Anna said. I don't know Puglia that well, but I guess the two regions must be similar in many respects.

If you have specific questions about the different provinces (or any other question, for that matter), please feel free to contact me.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
The south is great Oct 27, 2006

Hi Andrzej,
There are a lot of stories and racism about the south of Italy, especially from people up north, but the south is great, Puglia, Calabria, Sicily, brilliant all of them.

The south is cheaper for everything than the North, don’t know about Poland, sorry. The weather is nice, the culture alive, the nature wild, and the people are genuine and friendly, go for it.

The only thing you want to be careful of really is to visit where you’ll go before moving there to get the feel of the place. There are still some towns in the south where the local families pretend to have way too much say in things. People are generally very respectful in the south, but in some towns (like Isola Capo Rizzuto in Calabria) you can just feel the heavy clan scene and you may not like it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Simone Catania[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to the south of Italy, Calabria

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs