Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I need help from Italian colleagues who do NOT speak Hungarian
Thread poster: Palko Agi
Palko Agi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Dear colleagues, I am a teacher in a school, and we are having some Italian guests (High school students) next week. This is a EU-project, they need to develop some written material about the cultural contacts between the two countries.

I am preparing a quizz. I would need some ideas: what are the cultural basics Italian people (students) would know about Hungary? Apart from puszta, gulyás etc. I thought about Amerigo Tot, Kossuth, Franz Liszt, Petõfi... Who else do you know of? Sportsmen (May be Puskás?), musicians (can be modern, popular music), politicians, writers... etc. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
sportsmen and sportswomen Apr 2, 2003

I know some Hungarian sportsmen and sportswomen, for example swimmers such as Kristina Egersegy (sorry for my spelling, I\'m sure it\'s wrong ) and many others, especially women (Agnes KOvacs or so?). You also have excellent fencers, haven\'t you? I also know that a Hungarian writer won the NObel prize for literature but I\'ve forgotten his name, sorry (.

gellercup
English to Italian
+ ...
well...i know Apr 2, 2003

Zoltan Kodàly, Bela Lugosi, Sandor Marai..they are also quite famous

gellercup
English to Italian
+ ...
magician and inventor Apr 2, 2003

I remember also that Harry Houdini and Laszlo Birò were both Hungarian. In italian a ballpoint pen is called also \"biro\"

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Attila Apr 2, 2003

Certainly Attila the Hun.

[ This Message was edited by: Laura G. on 2003-04-02 10:00]

[ This Message was edited by: Laura G. on 2003-04-02 10:01]

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm sorry to say… Apr 2, 2003

…I don\'t know Amerigo Tot, and I think youngsters don\'t know Kossuth and Petõfi...

Puskás, too, is far too remote in time.

As for the many composers, they should at least have heard of Franz Liszt and Bela Bartok.

In Europe, Hungary is famous for cutting the barbed wire fence in 1989 which marked the beginning of the opening of the Iron Curtain.

A funny question would be what the two towns were called that form Budapest, or why the H. flag has the same colors as the Italian one (I don\'t know the latter).

Internet is of no help here, on the contrary, I\'m rewriting all this because the H. embassy\'s applet killed my computer…

[ This Message was edited by: schmurr on 2003-04-03 10:14]

gellercup
English to Italian
+ ...
also Apr 2, 2003

I posted few others names but i cannot see them. SO, again...I suggested Laszlo Biro (who invented the ballpoint pen, that in italian is named also \"biro\") and Harry Houdini.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2004)
English to Italian
nobel for literature... Apr 2, 2003

Imre Kertész, in 2002, for \"Sorstalanság\" (\"Fateless\"). Did you know that Hungary counts another 11 Nobel Prize winners?

And let\'s not forget BÉLA BARTÓK...

Greetings,

Giovanni

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Apr 2, 2003

this is already very helpful, but please, go on, if something gets into your mind.

(Sorry, Laura, but Attila, the Hun was not Hungarian. The legends say that he was considered an ancestor, but historically Huns were a Turkish people. As far as I remember...

Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
the average Italian student... Apr 2, 2003

might know something about some dinasties (the Arpads, the Iagellons), about the battle of Mohacs (once again I apologize for the spelling)

might know something about Franz Lehar and his works...

but don\'t expect much more!

raffa1

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 10:55, Verbum Ltd. wrote:

Imre Kertész, in 2002, for \"Sorstalanság\" (\"Fateless\"). Did you know that Hungary counts another 11 Nobel Prize winners?

And let\'s not forget BÉLA BARTÓK...

Greetings,

Giovanni

Emilia Corsanego
German to Italian
+ ...
swimmers Apr 2, 2003

Lorenzo is right. Hungary has always had very good swimmers, especially for breaststroke. Their technique is very appreciated worldwide.

The correct spelling for the famous backstroke swimmer is Krisztina Egerszegi.

Bye

Emilia
[addsig]

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more comment, Apr 2, 2003

since some of the posts appeared later than I have written...

It is very interesting to see how others see us and compare it to our beliefs. We Hungarian are all told in primary school that Petõfi is the only Hungarian poet who is known worldwide but he IS known everywhere.

Also, Kossuth lived in Torino for a while, and I believe there is even a ststue of him there. (Amerigo Tot is a very famous Hungarian sculptor who lived in Italy.)

As for Márai, our Hungarian schoolchildren don\'t know his name, he is not part of the curriculum. Kertész is not, either.

One more question. We teach Dante, Petrarca and Bocaccio in schools. Do the Italian children study them?

Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Unfortunately.... Apr 2, 2003

...I think Martin is right.

Italians in general, and young people in particular, don\'t know much about literature, old music, and similar, of the other countries. They of course study Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio, and also Leopardi and Manzoni, but don\'t know almost anything about other countries\' famous writers or musicians. Maybe they know more about Sportsmen.

Normal people don\'t know Amerigo Tot, nor Kossuth and Petõfi. They probably know the names of BÉLA BARTÓK and Franz Lehár, but maybe they don\'t know where these people come from.

I don\'t want to offend you and your wonderful country, telling that you are not famous; I just wanto to offend the ignorance, and probably young people are sometimes ignorant.

BTW: was Rubik hungarian? The one of the colored cube? This may probably be known by young people.

HTH

Marisa

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
sorry Apr 2, 2003

how could I forget Sandor Marai and Bela Lugosi? And, by the way, was Bela Bareny Hungarian? I think he invented the so called (in German, I don\'t know an English translation) \"Knautschzone\", which has to do with car safety. Anyway, I don\'t think that Itlaian people with an average education know more than 3 or 4 Hungarian people (I myself didn\'t know some of the names you mentioned). Of course they know just everything about the bosomy starlets of Italian TV . So, good luck! bye

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Please be honest Apr 2, 2003

Ilona Staller-Cicciolina is the greatest Hungarian star in Italy and abroad.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Simone Catania[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help from Italian colleagues who do NOT speak Hungarian

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs