Thread poster: Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:00
Thai to English
Apr 26, 2008

Hello all,

I am a Thai-->English translator who is starting out with Trados and Multiterm. Because of the fact that Thai does not use spaces between words or punctuation marks, I am having trouble getting good results from these software packages.

I am asking this question here (as suggested by a member of the Trados Forum) because I understand that Japanese also does not use spaces between words.

I'd like to ask anyone who uses this software and does Japan
... See more
Hello all,

I am a Thai-->English translator who is starting out with Trados and Multiterm. Because of the fact that Thai does not use spaces between words or punctuation marks, I am having trouble getting good results from these software packages.

I am asking this question here (as suggested by a member of the Trados Forum) because I understand that Japanese also does not use spaces between words.

I'd like to ask anyone who uses this software and does Japanese-->English translation for their advice on the following questions:

* Are you able to get Multiterm to recognise Japanese terms in a string of text without spaces? Are there any special settings you use to achieve this?

* Do you use any software to put spaces between words?

* Do you also have challenges with Japanese with segmentation? For Thai, I may need to manually set all the segments before starting translation. are there better methods?

By the way, i'm using Trados 7 Freelance and Multiterm 7. I would greatly appreciate any experience you are willing to share on these questions.

All the best, Michael
Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 07:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
Try SDL Trados Knowledge Base May 3, 2008

Michael,

Have you tried SDl Trados Knowledge Base? http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=B/w6Gi3IkRUU2M6j61jWqQ==&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.41831374168396 Or else, you may ask the support for solving your problem.

Or this is an unofficial Yahoo! group for Japanese users of SDL Trados to ask
... See more
Michael,

Have you tried SDl Trados Knowledge Base? http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=B/w6Gi3IkRUU2M6j61jWqQ==&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.41831374168396 Or else, you may ask the support for solving your problem.

Or this is an unofficial Yahoo! group for Japanese users of SDL Trados to ask other translators questions of any sort. You may firstly need to register in order to post a message to the forum to get attention from other users. http://groups.yahoo.co.jp/group/tratool-jp/

I myself am using Trados 8.0, but unfortunately most of the cases in which I use it is from English to Japanese and I have never used it in a reverse pair. I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar when Trados is used with Japanese as the source language.

Good luck!

Minoru Kuwahara
mulberryfield
Collapse

Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:00
Thai to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your ideas May 5, 2008

Thank you mulberryfield,

I appreciate your reply. I have looked at the SDL Knowledge Base, and found a little on problems with Concordance and finding known TUs when working from Japanese. These problems seem quite similar to what I experience working from Thai. I believe that there may be some more advice in the 'old' knowledge base, but unfortunately it's returned only errors each time I've tried to search.

I will try asking for help from support. Again, thanks.
... See more
Thank you mulberryfield,

I appreciate your reply. I have looked at the SDL Knowledge Base, and found a little on problems with Concordance and finding known TUs when working from Japanese. These problems seem quite similar to what I experience working from Thai. I believe that there may be some more advice in the 'old' knowledge base, but unfortunately it's returned only errors each time I've tried to search.

I will try asking for help from support. Again, thanks.

All the best, Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Languages without spaces between words under Trados and Multiterm

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »