https://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E/110362-trados_and_japanese_fonts_question.html

TRADOS and Japanese fonts question
Thread poster: Kim Carlson Tadenuma
Kim Carlson Tadenuma
Kim Carlson Tadenuma  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:03
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2008

I was wondering if anyone could please help with a question about Japanese fonts and Trados. I have a PC with an English operating System with the Japanese keyboard - Microsoft IME Standard 2002 v 8.1 and Microsoft Natural Input 2002 ver 8.1. When I'm not using Trados and type in Word, I have no problems with Japanese. When I use Word with Trados, and click on the "set/close/next/open/get, Trados turns my Japanese characters into jibberish. I had limited success with one font- it works for a f... See more
I was wondering if anyone could please help with a question about Japanese fonts and Trados. I have a PC with an English operating System with the Japanese keyboard - Microsoft IME Standard 2002 v 8.1 and Microsoft Natural Input 2002 ver 8.1. When I'm not using Trados and type in Word, I have no problems with Japanese. When I use Word with Trados, and click on the "set/close/next/open/get, Trados turns my Japanese characters into jibberish. I had limited success with one font- it works for a few lines, then suddenly Trados won't let me close the translation box and move on
the next line.....Also, if I copy and paste the font that worked into the new text box to type the translation, and hit set/close/next/open/get, the font works, but if I try to type over it with the correct translation and then hit set/close/next/open/get, it turns the font to jibberish. Other Japanese translators told me they also use an English operating system with Windows XP and the font and they don't have the problem, but I do. I wonder if it has anything to do with the font selection in Word under Format/Font, it has two options, the first reads "Latin Text Font" (Use Asian text font) and then the box below reads "Asian text Font:", but it seems like if I don't select the actual font in both boxes, there are problems. When I need to type again, it goes back to "Asian text Font" automatically.
Please kindly, I would appreciate any feedback.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please specify versions Jul 18, 2008

What is the OS you are using? XP, Vista, something else?
What version of Trados are you using?
What version of Microsoft Office are you using?

Without this info it is almost impossible to troubleshoot your problem.

L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
Local time: 23:03
English
Trados and Japanese fonts Jul 21, 2008

The main problems occures due to the fact that Word file was saved at the computer with Japanese keybord. In case if you are using Word 95, the problem does not take place as the old version of Word is not that smart. More new Word 2003 of 2007 contains japanese font on the hidden levels and the ony way to avoid troubles with Trados is to use English enviromental solely, albeit there is a way to clean japanese fonts from Word file if you have computer with Japanese and English OS separately inst... See more
The main problems occures due to the fact that Word file was saved at the computer with Japanese keybord. In case if you are using Word 95, the problem does not take place as the old version of Word is not that smart. More new Word 2003 of 2007 contains japanese font on the hidden levels and the ony way to avoid troubles with Trados is to use English enviromental solely, albeit there is a way to clean japanese fonts from Word file if you have computer with Japanese and English OS separately installed. Pay attention to the fact that in your Englisg OS there should not be Japanese keybord. If neede I can forward detailed material on the way of "cleaning Word files" from japanese fonts.Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The problem is different, we need to know the versions Jul 21, 2008

I am sorry, Valeria, but I think you got it backwards.
Kim wants to use Japanese fonts, not get rid of them.

Kim, would you mind posting the version of your OS, Trados, MS Office, as I asked?

I think I can help you, but the solution is different for each of the combinations of Windows XP or Vista, Trados 7, 7.5 or 8, and Word 2003, 2007.

I do not want to waste time typing up all the various things when you need the solution for one specific combinatio
... See more
I am sorry, Valeria, but I think you got it backwards.
Kim wants to use Japanese fonts, not get rid of them.

Kim, would you mind posting the version of your OS, Trados, MS Office, as I asked?

I think I can help you, but the solution is different for each of the combinations of Windows XP or Vista, Trados 7, 7.5 or 8, and Word 2003, 2007.

I do not want to waste time typing up all the various things when you need the solution for one specific combination of these.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Kim's reply with versions Jul 22, 2008

I am using Trados 6.5 LSP, Word 2003, and Windows XP. Thanks!

(I moved it from the separate topic.)

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few things to try Jul 22, 2008

Kim, Trados 6.5 is pretty old.
It has problems with Unicode.

First, do this:

Open the Control panel, and go to Languages and Regional Settings.
make sure you have the Japanese encoding enabled.
Go to the Advanced tab, and there is a pull-down list to specify which language to use for Non-Unicode programs. Select Japanese there.
When you do this, and click OK, the system will ask you to reboot.
So, reboot, and check if this solved the proble
... See more
Kim, Trados 6.5 is pretty old.
It has problems with Unicode.

First, do this:

Open the Control panel, and go to Languages and Regional Settings.
make sure you have the Japanese encoding enabled.
Go to the Advanced tab, and there is a pull-down list to specify which language to use for Non-Unicode programs. Select Japanese there.
When you do this, and click OK, the system will ask you to reboot.
So, reboot, and check if this solved the problem.

If not, then there is another thing:

I was fighting a very similar problem for several weeks last year. In my case the font type of the text in the document was changed whenever I opened a segment, or closed it. Cleanup messed up things, too.
If you are translating into Japanese, is it possible, that when you close a segment, Trados sets the formatting of that segment to a style that uses some complex script, and therefore the Japanese text gets garbled?
You can check this by highlighting one of the garbled lines and remove the formatting. You can do that by Ctrl+Space or use the style toolbar and Remove Formatting.
If that doesn't help, and the text is still garbled, try setting a Japanese font to the highlighted text, and see if that fixes the problem.
If any of these two tricks above fixed the highlighted text, and now you can read the Japanese, then you have a problem with the styles that are set in Word. This was the problem with my machine, and here is how I fixed it:
1. Go to Start->Programs->MS Office->MS Office Tools->MS Office 2003 Language Settings
This opens a window where you can see what scripts are set for support in Word.
2. Remove everything you don't need. I assume all you need is English and Japanese.
3. When you click OK, it will tell you that all settings you had in your normal.dot, etc. will be lost. This is a good thing, as the normal.dot is very likely messed up.
4. After this, try and see if Trados and Word behaves normally now.

If this still doesn't help, there are a few other suggestions I made in an older thread, check out that, too:
http://www.proz.com/post/468112#468112

Katalin
P.S: When you want to Reply to this posting, or any posting within this topic ("thread", please make sure you use the "Reply/Comment" button below the postings.
The other button on the top of the Japanese Forum screen "Post new topic" is for that: opening a completely new topic.
Collapse

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Local time: 07:33
French to English
+ ...
when i open a segment the French text is changing into Japanese text Apr 20, 2010

when i open a segment in word using trados the French text is changing into Japanese text.

Could you pls help me out?

I have removed the Japanese language from Regional Lang & Settings and also from Start-Programs-MS office 2003-Language settings.

My OS is XP and Trados 2007.

But i can t find the unicode thing in Regional Lang & Settings in control panel

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Unicode setting Apr 20, 2010

In XP, Go to Start->Settings->Control panel->Regional and Language Options
You will see 3 tabs:

1. Regional Options

2. Languages

3. Advanced - The first field sets the non-Unicode language matching.

By the way, what languages are set in the TM you are using?

Katalin

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
French to English
+ ...
Hi Katalin Apr 21, 2010

The langugage pair in my TM is French (France) - English (UK).

And the Non-Unicode language is English U.S by default in my system.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Is it with all documents, or just one particular Word file? Apr 21, 2010

The culprit could be the actual Word file you are trying to translate. It may have some style settings that mess up Trados's mind...

Another possibility is a conflict with some other software.
Has this problem started recently?
Have you installed any new software or updated/upgraded any existing software recently?

I have heard that Adobe can mess up things.

Katalin

[Edited at 2010-04-21 04:34 GMT]

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
French to English
+ ...
This problem is only with this particular document. Apr 21, 2010

Anyway i tried opening the word doc through tag editor.

Now it is working well without any problem.

Thanks a lot Katalin

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Word file with TagEditor Apr 29, 2010

I suppose the format specific to the file is the cause of your problem as Katalin-san presumes.

Furthermore, be careful when you open up a Word file with TagEditor since original tags could be messed up. You may better consult your client/PM if your treatment is applicative in your case.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How would TagEditor mess up the original tags? Apr 29, 2010

be careful when you open up a Word file with TagEditor since original tags could be messed up

What do you mean by this?
TagEditor is specifically designed to handle tags, in my experience this is the safest way to handle Word files.
Did you have any specific experience where "original tags were messed up"?
Katalin

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
thanks Apr 29, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

be careful when you open up a Word file with TagEditor since original tags could be messed up

What do you mean by this?
TagEditor is specifically designed to handle tags, in my experience this is the safest way to handle Word files.
Did you have any specific experience where "original tags were messed up"?
Katalin

Thanks for letting me know (!)
Now with your follow-up, I came to realize I took wrong a case with opening a tagged HTML/HTM/XMl file with MS Word, or else, opening up with SDLX, so my understanding was exactly opposite. Sorry for mixing up!

I have never used TagEditor to process Word/RTF file so far, however, according to your advice, there would not be any problem in its tag treatment. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS and Japanese fonts question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »