Mobile menu

How do you prefer to translate 国土交通省 into English?
Thread poster: Alex Farrell

Alex Farrell  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Japanese to English
Sep 5, 2008

The ministry's official website and the Japanese Wikipedia article give it as "Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism", but it is often written as "Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport" in English news articles and English Wikipedia. (I know of course Wikipedia is not a 100% reliable source, but it does reflect how most people think about or express something, whether it is true or not.) There is of course the abbreviation MLIT, but in a news article for example, one has to give the full name the first time it appears.

This came up in a recent translation of mine and I went with Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, but I'm curious if anybody prefers the shorter version and I'd like to hear why. Is there a reason for the difference or is it a mistranslation?

- Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Local time: 05:12
Japanese to English
I prefer the official translation Sep 6, 2008

If they use a certain translation on their website, why use a different one?

KathyT  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Japanese to English
Definitely go with the official title. Sep 6, 2008

Ultimately, I think it's important to use the naming/title/spelling designated by the actual organization/person. Plenty of examples around, such as Issey Miyake (who are we to insist it should be spelled "Issei"?), etc.

The EN Wikipedia article you mentioned doesn't appear to have been updated/edited for some time (nothing since 2007), while according to this section from the JP Wikipedia article (pasted below), the addition of the Japan Tourism Agency (観光庁) is a fairly recent event, and part of some ongoing restructuring of the MLIT. That would explain the discrepancy...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you prefer to translate 国土交通省 into English?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs