https://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E/19450-zenkaku_to_hankaku_conversion_anyone.html

Zenkaku to hankaku conversion - anyone?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:07
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 17, 2004

I was wondering if anybody knew a simple way to convert all alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, %, +, -, =, :, ;, etc. - eimoji basically) that were input in Zenkaku (as double byte characters) in the original document to Hankaku?
Is there a simple way of doing it in Word?

My problem is that in the original Japanese docs I receive there are a lot of figures and alphabetic codes, and the author dutifully entered those as Zenkaku characters, using a Japanese font (MS Mincho
... See more
I was wondering if anybody knew a simple way to convert all alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, %, +, -, =, :, ;, etc. - eimoji basically) that were input in Zenkaku (as double byte characters) in the original document to Hankaku?

My problem is that in the original Japanese docs I receive there are a lot of figures and alphabetic codes, and the author dutifully entered those as Zenkaku characters, using a Japanese font (MS Mincho, for example).
If I try to change the document font to a Western font (Arial), the Zenkaku characters won't change. I have to change all zenkaku to hankaku, then I can change the font.
Doing it manually is too mcuh work, and before I write a macro or some kind of utility, I thought I would ask if there is a simple way of doing it.
I am using the US version of MS Word (Office XP), on Us version Windows XP.

Katalin
Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 13:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
just a possibility... Mar 17, 2004

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

My problem is that in the original Japanese docs I receive there are a lot of figures and alphabetic codes, and the author dutifully entered those as Zenkaku characters, using a Japanese font (MS Mincho, for example).
If I try to change the document font to a Western font (Arial), the Zenkaku characters won't change. I have to change all zenkaku to hankaku, then I can change the font.
Doing it manually is too mcuh work, and before I write a macro or some kind of utility, I thought I would ask if there is a simple way of doing it.
I am using the US version of MS Word (Office XP), on Us version Windows XP.

Katalin

Hello Katalin-san,

I have never met a similar case of problem in my own translating expereince, so I just report you what I found out by referring to the help file of MS-Word 2000 Japanese version I'm using. Here is the most possibly helpful information I got:

半角文字と全角文字を変換する
言語独自の情報について

半角または全角に変換する文字列を選択します。

[書式] メニューの [文字種の変換] をクリックします。

半角文字に変換するには [半角]、全角文字に変換するには [全角] をクリックします。

ヒント 半角文字に変換できるのは、英字、数字、およびカタカナだけです。ただし、ひらがなを全角カタカナに変換することはできます。ひらがなを全角カタカナに変換するには、変換するひらがなを選択し、[文字種の変換] ダイアログ ボックスで、[カタカナ] をクリックします。

You see? This help topic says that you can switch between the upper case and the lower case of the alphabet, the numeric and the katakana. The operation itself seems to be quite simple, while I myself have never seen the English interface of MS Word and am not sure which menus and options appear there by what names. You may check them by a few trials, maybe? I guess it's [Format]-[Exchange Character Type]. For the rest, you may propably find the corredponding information in the help file of your MS-Word English version?

Some other memebrs here may refer to more specific details on their computers.

-MK

I think I need to add a few comments to the above. To switch between Hankaku and Zenkaku, or lower case and upper case, firstly you need to select the target texts to highlight them and click [Format] and the appropriate submenus to show the [文字種の変換] dialogbox . For those whom it may be helpful, the [文字種の変換] dialogbox shows 9 radio buttons in total such as:

文字の先頭を大文字にする
すべて小文字にする
すべて大文字にする
単語の先頭文字を大文字にする
大文字と小文字を入れ替える
半角
全角
カタカナ
ひらがな

Apparently the operation of changing characters itself seems to be easy, but it looks like so particularly when you need it on a fraction of texts. But if it's switching between the entire Hankaku or Zenkaku characters within a file, I'm afraid I really have no idea to streamline the process to avoid the hassles Katalin-san points out. Selecting only such characters in a file by a simple operation would be difficult, besides a tedious click-by-click selection. Would a Macro be created for this purpose? Before anything else, do you find the corresponding options in your MS-Word 2000 English version? What is the difference between MS Word Japanese and English? Any ones experienced with a similar case?

Choosing a Japanese version may well be the only option for Japanese character conversion? Is that right?

[Edited at 2004-03-18 13:35]

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Macro to convert zenkaku alphanumerics/punctuation to hankaku Apr 19, 2004

Hello, Katalin. The following macro may be of use. It converts full-width letters, numbers, and most punctuation to their half-width equivalents.
Convert Full-width Characters to Half-width
Hope this helps you -- let me know if you have any problems using it.

Regards,
Ryan

Chandrasekaran Rangaraj
Chandrasekaran Rangaraj
India
Local time: 09:37
English to Japanese
+ ...
Zenkaku to Hankaku conversion of entire excel and word document Jul 3, 2010

I am trying to convert an excel file with a mix of Zenkaku Katakana and Hankaku Katakana words. In MS word (2007), selecting a single word and pressing F8 converts the Zenkaku to Hankaku Katakana. If I select multiple words this F8 option is not working. There is not such option in MS Excel.

I tried the macro by Ginstrom, and it works fine for Eimoji conversion. However I am not able to enter the katakana in VBA in English version of XP & Office even with Japanese locale setting.... See more
I am trying to convert an excel file with a mix of Zenkaku Katakana and Hankaku Katakana words. In MS word (2007), selecting a single word and pressing F8 converts the Zenkaku to Hankaku Katakana. If I select multiple words this F8 option is not working. There is not such option in MS Excel.

I tried the macro by Ginstrom, and it works fine for Eimoji conversion. However I am not able to enter the katakana in VBA in English version of XP & Office even with Japanese locale setting.

Google search led me to this link (http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/change-case-text.htm). The StrConv function in VBA lets to convert hiragana to katakana, narrow to wide and lot other options. I changed the VBA code to attempt the hankaku to zenkaku conversion but the result is only ??????.

Any help to convert the entire excel and word document from Zenkaku to Hankaku and viceversa is appreciated.
Collapse

Katsushi Saito
Katsushi Saito  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
How about this one? Jul 4, 2010

Hello, Katalin-san. I have often encountered this kind of problem. In that case, I have cleared it, using the free software mentioned below.
It must be a great help if it could run in your English Windows environment.
Anyway, you will not lose any money. If it does not work, just delete and clear it away. I guess it's worth a try.

半太郎(はんたろう)= Hantaro
For downloading this software, visit the f
... See more
Hello, Katalin-san. I have often encountered this kind of problem. In that case, I have cleared it, using the free software mentioned below.
It must be a great help if it could run in your English Windows environment.
Anyway, you will not lose any money. If it does not work, just delete and clear it away. I guess it's worth a try.

半太郎(はんたろう)= Hantaro
For downloading this software, visit the following website:
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/util/se210000.html

Here’s some excerpts from its read me file:
● 半太郎(全角→半角変換)ソフトウェア:
● 使用方法
 解凍すると2つのEXEファイルが作成されます。 機能は全く同じです。 クリップボード内に取り込んだ全角テキストを半角に変換します。 これだけの機能ですが、非常にシンプルなので使い勝手が良いです。
 変換内容は下記の通りです。
 ・漢字     → そのまま
 ・全角ひらがな → そのまま
 ・全角カタカナ → 半角カタカナ
 ・全角英字   → 半角英字(大文字小文字に変化無し)
 ・全角スペース → 半角スペース
 ・全角記号   → 半角記号(半角変換可能な記号のみ)
 64kb文字まで対応しています。(まず問題無いでしょう)
● ファイル構成
 hantaro.exe
 hantaro_lite.exe
 hantaro.exe
GUIモードです。変換ボタンが表示されボタンを押すとクリップボード内の文字が変換されます。連続変換時に便利です。
 hantaro_lite.exe
いきなりモードです。実行すると無条件でクリップボード内の文字が変換されます。変換が終了すると終了します。時々利用するときに便利です。

Best regards,
K.Saito

[Edited at 2010-07-04 19:03 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:07
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
6 year old question Jul 5, 2010

Dear Saito-san,
Thank you for your post - I asked this question 6 years ago, but I guess it is still an issue, so your link maybe useful for many people, including Chandrasekaran, who brought this thread back to life.
Katalin

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:07
English to Thai
+ ...
My reply Sep 13, 2011

Dear Saito-san,
Thank you for your post - I asked this question 6 years ago, but I guess it is still an issue, so your link maybe useful for many people, including Chandrasekaran, who brought this thread back to life.
Katalin

I just needed it today and find many helpful freewares in Japanese websites.

Try search for: http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=th&q=全角半角変換ソフト StrConv&oq=全角半角変換ソフト StrConv&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=160123l160568l0l161063l2l2l0l1l0l0l180l180l0.1l1l0

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zenkaku to hankaku conversion - anyone?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »