Mobile menu

Off topic: Abbreviating Japanese ("JAP" vs "JPN")
Thread poster: Troy Fowler

Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
Jun 16, 2005

Just a random thought, but I've noticed a few jobs posted on that abbreviate Japanese as "JAP". In addition to ProZ, I've seen this in other places as well.

Given the epithetic undertones, I suggest using "JPN".

...'course, several of these postings were placed from people in non-English speaking countries, who are likely unaware of the derogatory term in English.

My 2 cents.

Direct link Reply with quote

kokuritsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I avoid using JAP. Jun 19, 2005

That’s surely one of the most crucial things I’ve been very much concerned about. Thanks a lot, rasputin, for posting this issue.

My choice for the abbreviation of Japan is JPN, not JAP, chiefly because the latter sounds to me self-abusing.

I don’t think the term JAP conveyed a venomous intention when used originally. As one of native Japanese, however, I can’t help but associate the acronym of JAP with the general condemnation of Japanese, including those Japanese descendants with US citizenship, by Americans during WWII. When I learn in particular how those Japanese “Nisei” with US citizenship or “Jap” as they were then called, had been treated during the War, and how they, including the Japanese-American Citizens League, have been protesting the discriminatory treatments, I think I should refrain from using the term.

I guess most Japanese feel offended when talked to by non-Japanese speakers by saying “Are you a Jap?” or something, although I’ve never addressed so by any non-Japanese speakers.

For your reference, I’ve found very interesting sites, if written in Japanese, where the “JAP” issue is
discussed. The first one shows a recent JACL’s movement to rename “Jap Lane” in Texas, USA.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbreviating Japanese ("JAP" vs "JPN")

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs