Off topic: Abbreviating Japanese ("JAP" vs "JPN")
Thread poster: Troy Fowler
Troy Fowler
Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
Japanese to English
Jun 16, 2005

Just a random thought, but I've noticed a few jobs posted on ProZ.com that abbreviate Japanese as "JAP". In addition to ProZ, I've seen this in other places as well.

Given the epithetic undertones, I suggest using "JPN".

...'course, several of these postings were placed from people in non-English speaking countries, who are likely unaware of the derogatory term in English.

My 2 cents.

kokuritsu
kokuritsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I avoid using JAP. Jun 19, 2005

That’s surely one of the most crucial things I’ve been very much concerned about. Thanks a lot, rasputin, for posting this issue.

My choice for the abbreviation of Japan is JPN, not JAP, chiefly because the latter sounds to me self-abusing.

I don’t think the term JAP conveyed a venomous intention when used originally. As one of native Japanese, however, I can’t help but associate the acronym of JAP with the general condemnation of Japanese, including those Japan
... See more
That’s surely one of the most crucial things I’ve been very much concerned about. Thanks a lot, rasputin, for posting this issue.

My choice for the abbreviation of Japan is JPN, not JAP, chiefly because the latter sounds to me self-abusing.

I don’t think the term JAP conveyed a venomous intention when used originally. As one of native Japanese, however, I can’t help but associate the acronym of JAP with the general condemnation of Japanese, including those Japanese descendants with US citizenship, by Americans during WWII. When I learn in particular how those Japanese “Nisei” with US citizenship or “Jap” as they were then called, had been treated during the War, and how they, including the Japanese-American Citizens League, have been protesting the discriminatory treatments, I think I should refrain from using the term.

I guess most Japanese feel offended when talked to by non-Japanese speakers by saying “Are you a Jap?” or something, although I’ve never addressed so by any non-Japanese speakers.

For your reference, I’ve found very interesting sites, if written in Japanese, where the “JAP” issue is
discussed. The first one shows a recent JACL’s movement to rename “Jap Lane” in Texas, USA.

http://www.iti.or.jp/flash55.htm

http://kan-chan.stbbs.net/cgi/board/mibbs.cgi?fo=language&mo=p&tn=0118
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbreviating Japanese ("JAP" vs "JPN")

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »