https://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E/34064-anyone_working_in_japan_for_eu_companies.html

Anyone working in Japan for EU companies?
Thread poster: Carmen Álvarez
Carmen Álvarez
Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:50
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 28, 2005

Hello!

I come from Spain and live in Japan, and I want to start working as a translator of German or English into Spanish for a Spanish agency, via Internet.

I could get paid in my Spanish bank and then transfer the money to my Japanese bank, but it costs me at least 42 Euro!

Or I could tell the agency to transfer the payments directly to my Japanese bank, but probably it will be also very expensive.

I was wondering if using Paypal was recommen
... See more
Hello!

I come from Spain and live in Japan, and I want to start working as a translator of German or English into Spanish for a Spanish agency, via Internet.

I could get paid in my Spanish bank and then transfer the money to my Japanese bank, but it costs me at least 42 Euro!

Or I could tell the agency to transfer the payments directly to my Japanese bank, but probably it will be also very expensive.

I was wondering if using Paypal was recommendable. As far as I know, the transaction rate is 3.9%, which is ok for small quantities, but for larger payments it becomes very expensive.

Anyone being paid in Euro and living in Japan? What do you do to get your money here?

I am very confused, thanks for any help!
Collapse

Shannon Morales
Shannon Morales  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Lump transfers Jun 28, 2005

I am now in somewhat the opposite situation, as I'm living in Peru but still getting paid by all-Japanese clients to my bank account in Japan. What I do is transfer my payments in one lump sum at the end of each month (or two months when we can manage the wait). It IS expensive (about 3,500 yen per overseas transfer from Citibank Japan), but as far as I know, minimizing the number of transfers is my only option. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I think it depends mostly on how muc... See more
I am now in somewhat the opposite situation, as I'm living in Peru but still getting paid by all-Japanese clients to my bank account in Japan. What I do is transfer my payments in one lump sum at the end of each month (or two months when we can manage the wait). It IS expensive (about 3,500 yen per overseas transfer from Citibank Japan), but as far as I know, minimizing the number of transfers is my only option. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I think it depends mostly on how much money you make where and how often you need it right there with you.Collapse

Carmen Álvarez
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jun 30, 2005

Thank you, it is very dificult to find someone exactly in my situation, but all of your opinions, advices or insights are welcome. They can help another people in similar circumstances, too. Probably a lot of freelancers need to be paid through international money transfers.

Have a nice day,
Carmen

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 09:50
English to Japanese
+ ...
suggestions Jul 26, 2005

Hello Carmen,

You could definitely use PayPal if the agencies you are working for have their accounts there and could issue non-creditcard payment. It's most prefereable especially when you accept a job base on the currecy of USD. It's even better if your clients (agencies) are located in the North America, of course. I hear you may transfer money from your account to your Japanese bank only in JPY.

In the case of the currecy of EUR, I may recommend you open up an accou
... See more
Hello Carmen,

You could definitely use PayPal if the agencies you are working for have their accounts there and could issue non-creditcard payment. It's most prefereable especially when you accept a job base on the currecy of USD. It's even better if your clients (agencies) are located in the North America, of course. I hear you may transfer money from your account to your Japanese bank only in JPY.

In the case of the currecy of EUR, I may recommend you open up an account at moneybookers.com. It's located in UK and you can accept payments in EUR, USD, JPY or some other major currencies. I have never tranferred money from there to my Japanese bank account, though I have an account myself. But from what I understand, you can actually do that only with a small portion of commission. (Maybe only in JPY for that transaction, which I need to check up.)

Otherwise, you may choose to ask the clients to bank-wire or issue a draft when you accumulate certain amount of payments upon competion of several jobs. Transaction may vary depending on each different intermediate and Japanese bank. Some of them offer very good service actually only with a small commission here again. Bank fees really vary depending up which bank(s) your clinets use for transfer.

For the details of all the above, you may refer to the ProZ archive. Some members may better advise you for international payment transaction.

Cheers,
Minoru Kuwahara
[email protected]
Collapse

Carmen Álvarez
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arigatou! Jul 27, 2005

Thanks a lot, Minoru-san! I will take your advices into account. Have a nice day!

Veronica Costea
Veronica Costea  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:50
English to Romanian
+ ...
you could try lloyds Aug 3, 2005

Although I am not in your situation, as I am currently living in Romania and getting payed here, I just returned from Japan two months ago. What we used was Lloyds TBS. I don't know how it works for transfers from another country to Japan, but from Japan it is 2000 yen per transfer and registration is free. You might want to try and have a look at their offer. I hope this helps,

Vera

Carmen Álvarez
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 4, 2005

Thank you Vera! I will take a look at that, too!

Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone working in Japan for EU companies?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »