Yuriko Daikoku  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:29
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

Hi Everyone,

I just wonder these days...
When I post a peer comment, agree, disagree or neutral, I always try to put some comment or additional information,
but sometime, it might hurt answere's feeling. I thought it is better to do so,as I'm agreeing to answers and alo could be usuful for askers. As just a small contribution... Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm right... What do you think?

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 06:29
English to Japanese
+ ...
Be hard as you wish but be fair and civil Aug 18, 2005

I think you are right. I think it is vitally important to give reasons if your comment is either a "disagree" or a "neutral". As for agree commenting is optional but then additional comment/source is always useful.

The problem is of course, how you phrase your comment. It is sometimes tempting to be very harsh (and I have been on occasions) but in general, the JP>EN EN>JP fora have avoided the worst excesses I have seen elsewhere.

In my view, as long as comments concern
... See more
I think you are right. I think it is vitally important to give reasons if your comment is either a "disagree" or a "neutral". As for agree commenting is optional but then additional comment/source is always useful.

The problem is of course, how you phrase your comment. It is sometimes tempting to be very harsh (and I have been on occasions) but in general, the JP>EN EN>JP fora have avoided the worst excesses I have seen elsewhere.

In my view, as long as comments concern the linguistic merits or otherwise of a particular answer, it is a fair game to criticise/butcher/tear apart. However, in my humblest opinion, this should only apply to that particular answer and should not be directed towards the personality, intelligence or the general ability as a translator of the answerer.

If such situation arises, as well as being hurtful and unpleasant to whom the comments are directed, it is a wee bit childish - it seems to be a playground mentality [ha, ha, I'm better than you're] - and poisons the atmosphere.

Sometimes though, it is a case of no offence intended but offence keenly taken - it's unfortunate but it does occur, especially if one wonders if there is an implicit (negative) message in the comment. Not wishing to be post-modernist about it all, it depends how one reads and in such cases I would give the benefit of doubt and assume good intentions.

Everyone has a grouchy day every so often (after all, translators are human beings too) but the usual social etiquette applies and no one should be posting answer or comment with trepidations or fear of being their personality or intelligence insulted.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Peer Comment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »