Manga translation
Thread poster: Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
Local time: 21:08
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2005

Is there anyone who has experience in translation of japanese manga? I am looking into the matter and would like to know what the standard rates are and if these translations usually are paid by character, word, page or hour.

aira07
aira07  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
Depends on the vendor Dec 13, 2005

I have worked on manga translations for different publishers, but my experience is that it either by page or by volume. Rates also differ by complexity of the manga and the publisher (usually the bigger the publisher, the better the rates).

Nadja (X)
Nadja (X)
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
In Germany Feb 2, 2006

I also worked for different publishers. They paid me either by original page (including pages without text) or page of the translattion manuscript. This means, in the latter case, the manga pages without text are not included. But all in all there were no big differences in the end.

Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 2, 2006

Hi

Thanks for telling about your experiences with manga. I guess charging by page or charging a flat rate per volume would be the common way. I donエt know what a normal rate would be for translating manga since I canエt count and charge by characters as I would do in any other translation job. Anyhow I guess I will come up with something.

Any other piece of advice will be appreciated!

Anders

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
It is never too late... I am doing manga translation Aug 4, 2006

Hello Anders,

yes - counting the characters would be awful to do...//Agree with Nadja...
I have some experience with the manga translation here in Germany as well. The publisher I work for is paying appr. 13,-EUR/translation manuscript. The translation manuscript covers -roughly estimated- 2 up to 8 original manga pages.

There is a remarkable difference because some original pages only have pics or only two sentences...and sometimes you have tons of text to trans
... See more
Hello Anders,

yes - counting the characters would be awful to do...//Agree with Nadja...
I have some experience with the manga translation here in Germany as well. The publisher I work for is paying appr. 13,-EUR/translation manuscript. The translation manuscript covers -roughly estimated- 2 up to 8 original manga pages.

There is a remarkable difference because some original pages only have pics or only two sentences...and sometimes you have tons of text to translate. So this is why the translation manuscript differs so much concerning the number of the orig. pages.

My experience is a payment between 880,- up to 1.400 EUR, as I mentioned always depending on the translation text volume. - Only to give you an idea...

best regards,

Katrin

[Edited at 2006-08-04 06:26]
Collapse

Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No it is never too late... Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for your reply! I am still not doing any manga translation but do some other manga related jobs for a couple of publishing companies. If an offer turns up it will good to have the rate information you posted. The rates you mention sounds reasonable.
I guess it is hard to make a living on this kind of jobs, but it would be a nice break from all those tecnical translations!

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
You hit the point Aug 12, 2006

Anders Olsson wrote:
I guess it is hard to make a living on this kind of jobs, but it would be a nice break from all those tecnical translations!

Hi Anders,

yes definitely! That's also my philosophy...One should always keep that in mind.

Greetings

Katrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manga translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »