https://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E/44661-japanese_english_translation%3A_rates_in_yen_per_english_word.html

Japanese-English translation: rates in Yen per English word?
Thread poster: Paul Johnson (X)
Paul Johnson (X)
Paul Johnson (X)
Local time: 08:44
Japanese to English
Apr 5, 2006

I was wondering if anone has any advice on what I should be charging for Japanese-English translation? My standard rate is $0.05 per kanji/Japanese character, but I've been asked by the client to specify how much I charge per English word, in Yen.
Quite strange. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anybody else charge in Yen per ENGLISH word?

Specifically, this is video game translation, in case that helps...

Thanks for your help!

Paul Johnson, UK.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 00:44
English to French
+ ...
Target Apr 5, 2006

Hi Paul

A number of agencies -mainly in Europe- pay on target, the idea being, "we pay for what you give us."

Now, you have to figure out how many English words your source will produce to compute your rate. I'm afraid I can't help you here, I don't work in that pair.

HTH

Sarah

Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
Local time: 09:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
2,5 Japanese characters = 1 English word Apr 5, 2006

In such cases I use to calculate 2,5 Japanese characters = 1 English word (or Swedish word in my case). In your case that would make a price of $0,125 per English word in the target text.
It would be interesting to hear the opinions of others in this matter!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There were discussions on this before Apr 5, 2006

As for quoting in Yen instead of USD, or any other currency, you can check the current exchange rate on www.oanda.com.
You will be bearing exchange rate risk, if it is a big amount, you may want to consider hedging it somehow.

As for quoting in target English wordcount, please see the following dis
... See more
As for quoting in Yen instead of USD, or any other currency, you can check the current exchange rate on www.oanda.com.
You will be bearing exchange rate risk, if it is a big amount, you may want to consider hedging it somehow.

As for quoting in target English wordcount, please see the following discussions:

http://www.proz.com/post/301729#301729

http://www.proz.com/post/216296#216296

http://www.proz.com/post/92173#92173
Collapse

Paul Johnson (X)
Paul Johnson (X)
Local time: 08:44
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That should work... Apr 6, 2006

Aha... thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll just charge double the kanji rate and have it at that, as advised. Thanks for the help!

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 16:44
English to Japanese
+ ...
i agree to 1/2.5 ratio (English words/Japanese words) Apr 6, 2006

Paul Johnson UK wrote:

I was wondering if anone has any advice on what I should be charging for Japanese-English translation? My standard rate is $0.05 per kanji/Japanese character, but I've been asked by the client to specify how much I charge per English word, in Yen.
Quite strange. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anybody else charge in Yen per ENGLISH word?

Specifically, this is video game translation, in case that helps...

Thanks for your help!

Paul Johnson, UK.

Very curious, however, I was aware before reading all these posts that a word count in target Japanese mostly equals to 2.5 that of source English. We may not sometimes evade situations where we need to count on target instead of source for several inevitable grounds.

The above is word-versus-word count, not character-based comparison. As far as I know, this 1/2.5 ratio would apply to most general contents between English and Japanese, one as source and the other as target, or vice versa. As some of you mention, if the content is more technical or specialized, or if katakana is more often used in either document, different ratios would be suitable, which I myself am not so used to so far.

Truly, it may not be so unusual to count character on target (E-J) or word (J-E) for either translation, editing or proofreading, though it may be rarer than a count based on source.

For your reference, 200 English words may be quoted equally with 400 Japanese characters, and rates would be agreed based on those units. Which, from my experience, results in fairly standard and comparable amounts of translation, editing or proofreading fees in consideration of target count. No prob.

HTH in some way

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese-English translation: rates in Yen per English word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »