Mobile menu

Off topic: If you have trouble accessing to ALC, please try this!
Thread poster: RieM

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2007

If you still have trouble getting to the ALC (eijiro) site (and probably you are in the US, Canada, Europe, etc), here is something you can try. Just in 5 minutes, you should be able to go there again. --- very easy.

Shut down your computer, UNPLUG (power cord) off it, router/cablemodem/DSL modem completely, and wait for 5 minutes. Then plug everything back in and turn on the computer. That's it.

What you are doing is resetting/renewing your machine's IP address. There are other ways to do the same, if you are familiar with some network commands, but this is the simplest and surest way! (You might be able to accomplish it without unplugging, but, this is not recommended). Make sure you wait for a few minutes. So far I asked two of my friends to be my "guinea pigs" and they successfully got to the ALC.

I believe that the problem is related to the Daylight time saving (summertime) that has just started in the US, and I guess that some ISPs' servers/hubs might be out of sync.

Hope this will solve your access problem!

Good luck

[Edited at 2007-03-14 03:05]

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Local time: 14:13
Japanese to English
Interesting theory Mar 15, 2007

Nice detective work, Rie!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you have trouble accessing to ALC, please try this!

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs