Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Proposal for open question limit (staff: 'already exists')
Thread poster: Roberto Rey
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Valid answers Apr 10, 2008

KathyT wrote:

I was following this discussion with interest, when lo and behold, I discovered a question asked by a person with **60** (not a typo!) open questions....

The limit is described at http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_question_limit as

"If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions."

The "open questions" counter includes questions that have no valid answers.

I have investigated similar cases and found that most of the "open questions" had no answers, or all answers had been declined. The limit on open questions does not apply in these cases (no valid answers).

Regards,
Enrique

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 17:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Apr 10, 2008

Enrique wrote:

... The "open questions" counter includes questions that have no valid answers.

I have investigated similar cases and found that most of the "open questions" had no answers, or all answers had been declined. The limit on open questions does not apply in these cases (no valid answers).

That is in line with my own findings, which I posted here some time ago but unfortunately were immediately hidden by a moderator .

The cases I looked at suggested that askers had deliberately declined all answers as a means of by-passing the 10-question limit.

I also drew attention (and will risk doing so again now...) to the practice in some language pairs of having long discussions in the 'Note to asker' area and nothing at all in the 'Answers' area. Such questions remain 'open' and are not included in the 10-question limit because they have 'no valid answer' - when in fact there is at least one perfectly valid answer in the 'Notes to asker' discussion.

While I can see a case for leaving 'open' those questions that have received no answers at all (especially if there is no 'Note to asker' discussion either) and exclude them from the 10-question count, I suggest that questions for which all answers have been declined should be counted towards the 10-question limit so the asker cannot exploit this loophole. In the cases I looked at (and quoted in my earlier, hidden, post...) it was clear that answerers had made serious efforts to give valid answers, only to see them 'declined' (with 'no reason given', to boot...) when at least one of those answerers should have got at least 1 KudoZ 'for effort' and the question closed properly.

MediaMatrix

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal for open question limit (staff: 'already exists')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »