Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 2, 2008

Questions are often closed without explanation from the asker other than the option clicked. This often leaves answerers feeling they would like more information. The asker can "Add note" to the question, as I have just done on closing a question, but I think a note-posting panel as part of the routine question-closing process would encourage askers to explain more.

[Edited at 2008-04-02 10:33]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:18
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Closing without grading? Apr 2, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:
Questions are often closed without explanation from the asker other than the option clicked. This often leaves answerers feeling they would like more information. The asker can "Add note" to the question, as I have just done on closing a question, but I think a note-posting panel as part of the routine question-closing process would encourage askers to explain more.

Hi Jack,

To be clear - were you referring specifically to questions closed without grading?

Steffen

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes, closing without grading. Apr 2, 2008

I'm sorry I didn't make that sufficiently clear in my first post.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Closed without grading/answer found elsewhere Apr 2, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

[Edited at 2008-04-02 10:33]

I just received notice of a question dated Oct. 28, 2007 that was 'closed' today. Reason: answer found elsewhere. 4 people answered, there was a peer agree and Asker was a person who doesn't work in that particular language pair. It would be great if there was a required slot for Askers to fill in. Personally, I'd love to know what she ended up using. Closing the question 6 months later simply with 'answer found elsewhere' is insulting to all those who spent their time trying to help. Surely it's just common courtesy to share with those who offered their assistance.

[Edited at 2008-04-02 11:08]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I couldn't agree more Apr 2, 2008

If the answer is found elsewhere it would be at least nice to let everyone know what it is. It would be only fair to answerers and useful to everyone else (after all questions are used by other translators for years when searching for terms)

Cheers
Stanislaw

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:18
German to English
A workplace for professional linguists Apr 2, 2008

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

If the answer is found elsewhere it would be at least nice to let everyone know what it is. It would be only fair to answerers and useful to everyone else (after all questions are used by other translators for years when searching for terms)

And if an asker does this kind of thing habitually, the asker's KudoZ rights should be suspended until he has shown that he has grasped the spirit of this community effort. This might require yet another rule or simply giving KudoZ moderators more authority to act using common sense.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Grates on my nerves too Apr 2, 2008

writeaway wrote:

I just received notice of a question dated Oct. 28, 2007 that was 'closed' today. Reason: answer found elsewhere. 4 people answered, there was a peer agree and Asker was a person who doesn't work in that particular language pair. It would be great if there was a required slot for Askers to fill in. Personally, I'd love to know what she ended up using. Closing the question 6 months later simply with 'answer found elsewhere' is insulting to all those who spent their time trying to help. Surely it's just common courtesy to share with those who offered their assistance.

I find this particularly rude too, but I suspect in this case, the person closing the question has no memory of the term actually used, given that it was 6 months ago, and has just clicked on this option because it allows you to sound somewhat superior to those who offered help (I know the answer and you don't), when quite the opposite is probably true.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Notified staff Apr 2, 2008

Hi all,

I've notified ProZ.com staff of this thread to see if they can implement such a mandatory asker note feature when getting round to improving the KudoZ interface.

Steffen

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Not even necessarily mandatory... Apr 2, 2008

People can always get round "mandatory" boxes (e.g. for explanation of KudoZ answers or reason for hiding an answer) just by entering an asterisk or hash mark. I just thought that if such a box were there, it might produce a bit more information from some people than we get at present.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
True, Jack... Apr 2, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:
People can always get round "mandatory" boxes (e.g. for explanation of KudoZ answers or reason for hiding an answer) just by entering an asterisk or hash mark. I just thought that if such a box were there, it might produce a bit more information from some people than we get at present.

... we'd better call this an "encouragement effort"

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Not like Admiral Byng Apr 2, 2008

Yes, "pour encourager les autres", but not by such extreme measures as Voltaire was talking about.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudos to a considerate Asker Apr 3, 2008

A few days ago Elizabeth Ardans asked a question in the English to Spanish section, the subject was education.

I was taking a break and saw the question, found it interesting, and did some research. It wasn't easy! My answer would have been partially guess-work.

So I was very happy to see that she closed the question, with 0 answers, and indicated that she had found the answer elsewhere and what it was.

I simply want to point out that this is the correct a
... See more
A few days ago Elizabeth Ardans asked a question in the English to Spanish section, the subject was education.

I was taking a break and saw the question, found it interesting, and did some research. It wasn't easy! My answer would have been partially guess-work.

So I was very happy to see that she closed the question, with 0 answers, and indicated that she had found the answer elsewhere and what it was.

I simply want to point out that this is the correct and considerate behaviour, which makes the Kudoz section a rewarding experience for all of us.

Best wishes,

Lucía
Collapse

Polangmar
Polangmar
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What is the difference between "Answer found elsewhere" and "No acceptable answer"? Apr 4, 2008

First two points.

1. My view.
"No acceptable answer" means "I know another answer which I think is correct" which translates as "I found a correct answer elsewhere".:)

2. The observed practice.
Some askers "just close" questions which contain a correct answer when:
a) the correct answer or a useful link or hint was given earlier by somebody else in the Ask asker box
b) the asker suggested the answer posting the question
c) the asker found t
... See more
First two points.

1. My view.
"No acceptable answer" means "I know another answer which I think is correct" which translates as "I found a correct answer elsewhere".:)

2. The observed practice.
Some askers "just close" questions which contain a correct answer when:
a) the correct answer or a useful link or hint was given earlier by somebody else in the Ask asker box
b) the asker suggested the answer posting the question
c) the asker found the correct answer earlier (sometimes a few minutes earlier)
d) the correct answer was given after some time and too late (after the deadline)
In such situations the feedback is often "Answer found elsewhere".

In light of the discussion above and my observations there seem to be different views on what "Answer found elsewhere" means. I think it would a good idea to explain this matter somewhere - maybe in FAQ?
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
What about closing without grading, reason : "other" Jul 15, 2008

A few weeks ago I answered several questions from the same asker and he finally decided to close all of them without grading, reason : other. Each time, I asked him to explain why none of the answers suggested were good enough or to provide the solution he found by himself. No answer, no comment, no thank you. I then checked his kudoz profile and found that he closes half of his questions that way (i.e. without grading, because "other") even if some answers are totally acceptable.

Y
... See more
A few weeks ago I answered several questions from the same asker and he finally decided to close all of them without grading, reason : other. Each time, I asked him to explain why none of the answers suggested were good enough or to provide the solution he found by himself. No answer, no comment, no thank you. I then checked his kudoz profile and found that he closes half of his questions that way (i.e. without grading, because "other") even if some answers are totally acceptable.

Yesterday, another member did exactly the same...
These people ask questions (usually with little context, no "please" no "thank you"), take the answers and run off like thieves, without a word of thanks.

I think that if one or more answers are suggested, askers who want to close a question without grading should not be allowed to do so without justifying their choice.
Or maybe the option "other" should be suppressed.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add answer panel to "Close question" for closing without grading

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »