Thread poster: moken
moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2008

Dear all,

I don't disagree with the idea of targeting KudoZ questions; in fact, as far as I'm concerned it was a good and long awaited measure.

In many cases, when we post a KudoZ question, it can be irritating to find people suggesting answers that aren't even gramatically correct. However, it can lead to targeting questions wrongly by requesting answers from native speakers of the target language when the proble
... See more
Dear all,

I don't disagree with the idea of targeting KudoZ questions; in fact, as far as I'm concerned it was a good and long awaited measure.

In many cases, when we post a KudoZ question, it can be irritating to find people suggesting answers that aren't even gramatically correct. However, it can lead to targeting questions wrongly by requesting answers from native speakers of the target language when the problem unmistakably lies in thesource language.

There are many cases in which a translator is perfectly capable of finding the right term in his/her own language once the source text is properly understood, but by targeting them 'wrongly' the asker can often be warding off those who are better poised to respond to his or her doubts.

In short: Think twice when targeting KudoZ questions.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now I'm confused.... Apr 15, 2008

I've just plinked on that line in answering a question, not in asking. Think this was the right thing to do. But then I saw this posting of yours Alvaro, and I don't know whether I've boobed!

I was hoping that I was stressing that my reply was from the point of view of a Spanish from Spain speaker. Perhaps you'd take a look at it and tell me what you think. It's a posting asking about "pass the fuel pump" if I remember rightly.

Cheers

Noni

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different issue Apr 15, 2008

Hi Noni,

Yes - it was the right thing to do and I'm glad to see it's working instead of having to explain that part each time we answer, but it's a different issue.

The matter at hand is when an asker specifically requests answers from target language speakers when the truth is that - perhaps due to regional dialect, unusual usage, etc. -'source natives' are in fact better poised to solve the query than 'target natives' are.

No skin off my back if they're
... See more
Hi Noni,

Yes - it was the right thing to do and I'm glad to see it's working instead of having to explain that part each time we answer, but it's a different issue.

The matter at hand is when an asker specifically requests answers from target language speakers when the truth is that - perhaps due to regional dialect, unusual usage, etc. -'source natives' are in fact better poised to solve the query than 'target natives' are.

No skin off my back if they're aware of the fact and prefer to do it that way, I just think that they might inadvertently be warding off those who are in a better position to help...
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never use the option. Apr 15, 2008

I don't see the point, though I have no problem with having the option available for those who want it.

When I ask a question, I want all the responses I can get! You never know when, by sheer chance, a native French speaker who specializes in translating video games will just happen to know the right Spanish/English term for an old Taíno hand tool. We all possess odd bits of information that someone, somewhere, might just happen to need.

Why limit the field of people
... See more
I don't see the point, though I have no problem with having the option available for those who want it.

When I ask a question, I want all the responses I can get! You never know when, by sheer chance, a native French speaker who specializes in translating video games will just happen to know the right Spanish/English term for an old Taíno hand tool. We all possess odd bits of information that someone, somewhere, might just happen to need.

Why limit the field of people who might, potentially, be able to give me what I'm asking for?

Your point about the native speaker of the source language is a valid one, though.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clutter Apr 15, 2008

Jane's comment makes me wonder - off topic, but I know you have it in you to forgive me Alvaro - whether having a head full of clutter is in fact part of the art of being a translator! Perhaps all those hours spent playing Trivial Pursuit when it first came out and I should have been writing my thesis were not wasted after all....

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clutter is good! Apr 15, 2008

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Perhaps all those hours spent playing Trivial Pursuit when it first came out and I should have been writing my thesis were not wasted after all....

Oh my, me too! And it isn't a waste! I often tell about one of the KudoZ questions for which I was awarded points; I knew what a "rout" is (in the particular context), and all because I read British period novels to relax. I have never needed that term for a translation, but the colleague who asked the question did, and I was the only one to come up with the answer that was needed.

(It's a type of party that upper-crust English society used to throw.)

So, back (sort of) to Álvaro's topic: Why on earth would I want to limit my available resources? Of course, I have to do my own research and evaluate the answers received, but that's my job in any case.

Speaking of "job": Back to work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Think twice when targeting KudoZ questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »