Mobile menu

what to do when you suspect a user of creating multiple profiles?
Thread poster: lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:27
Portuguese to English
May 19, 2008

What is the correct procedure for reporting one's suspicions that a basic user is creating multiple profiles in order to overcome the limit on the number of Kudoz questions asked?

There is a basic user in a certain language pair who asked 5 questions yesterday, and immediately afterwards there are 5 more, very similar questions asked by a person whose user name looks like a contraction of the other name. Now the 'first' person is asking yet further questions.

Without wanting to accuse people unfairly, the names and subjects look too close to be a coincidence. I reported this to a moderator this morning (there is no moderator assigned to this pair) but have heard nothing.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Direct link Reply with quote

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
English to Italian
moderator May 19, 2008

I'd recommend to contact another moderator, of another language pair, asking if she/he can do something about it . And maybe this posting will also work.

Good luck.
HTH

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I know who it is.... May 19, 2008

It's pretty obvious to me that these two are the same person. Have you considered submitting a support ticket?

Amy

Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

contact moderator May 19, 2008

If you suspect that two or several profiles were created by the same person, I suggest you to contact a moderator (i.e. the one which is responsible for the KudoZ language pair in which you have observed this problem). After several simple verifications and if the case is still "hot", moderators can contact apropiate staff members and proceed to delete illegal profiles.

Personally, as a KudoZ moderator, I pay a lot of attention by myself to KudoZ infractors, but I had several cases in which KudoZ infractors were discovered thanks to observatios made by another ProZians. That's why the feedback obtain from all ProZians (especially KudoZians) is so important

Regards,
M.

LittleBalu
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Submit support ticket May 20, 2008

Monika Jakacka wrote:

If you suspect that two or several profiles were created by the same person, I suggest you to contact a moderator (i.e. the one which is responsible for the KudoZ language pair in which you have observed this problem).

Regards,
M.

There is no moderator assigned to lexical's language pair.

lexical wrote:

Without wanting to accuse people unfairly, the names and subjects look too close to be a coincidence. I reported this to a moderator this morning (there is no moderator assigned to this pair) but have heard nothing.

I'd submit a support ticket, indicating the profiles you assume to belong to one and the same person.

Regards,
LB

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've submitted a support ticket... May 20, 2008

...let's see.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
We've had cases like that on my language pairs May 20, 2008

.. and Proz staff took care of them.

I just think it's funny how so often these people lack the imagination to come up with a completely different user name the second time round. So Peter Smith will often be a psmith or a ptsmth or whatever on his second profile. Then of course, there may be many more who do know how to deceive us properly.

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
People do that May 20, 2008

Unfortunately, this practice is not that rare, neither here, nor elsewhere. Finding all these people requires extra time and work from the moderators so it is good if we can help them with our suggestions.

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved May 20, 2008

It seems the second profile has been removed by the moderators, but I'm unsure whether the transgressor has been warned against doing this again.

Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:27
SITE STAFF
Reporting possible abuse May 20, 2008

Hello all,

Thanks lexical for your support request.

As Monika mentions, if you suspect abuse of site rules, you may contact the appropriate moderator or site staff, via support request. Moderators and staff work hard to make sure site rules are enforced and have the tools necessary to investigate these cases. When rules violations are confirmed, appropriate action is always taken. Thanks to all the members of the community who help us make the site a more secure place for everyone.

Best regards,

Jared

The Misha
Local time: 15:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Vote with your feet! May 20, 2008

So to speak. Nobody's making you answer those abusive questions - and that's what I do under similar circumstances. I also refuse to help when the asker is too busy or important to say please or something to this effect. Instead, I post a note letting them know that their following some commonly accepted rules of etiquette would really, really help. Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to do when you suspect a user of creating multiple profiles?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs