Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Outsources do look Jul 22, 2008

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Do outsourcers look so closely at Prozians' answer records for it to be so important not to be seen to get it wrong sometimes?

Well, I think there are outsourcers that take the KudoZ-activity into consideration.
I know that two of my clients mentioned it when I asked why they picked me (when I knew there were multiple applicants for the job).
So, it is important, but of course not to the level of trying to look perfect.
And this is the key word "look perfect".
During the past years I saw a few users that systematically deleted all their not chosen answers. The hidden answers were not visible, and they were not even counted as "answered". So, if someone answered 300 questions, and 15 got accepted, that would be a 5% acceptance ratio, while if he hides the 285 not accepted, his acceptance ratio would be 100%. 100% acceptance means that whenever they answer a question, they hit the "bullseye". So this little game could give the impression that the person is very reliable when it comes to terminology. That is misrepresentation, and I think this new function is trying to curb such activities.
I think it is good to have it, it protects everybody else.

[Edited at 2008-07-22 21:14]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You mean they were *not* copunted before? Jul 22, 2008

Jared wrote:

They will also be added to the total count of Questions answered (shown on the main page of profiles) and in the statistics found in the KudoZ activity section.

This will apply to answers posted after August 1 by answerers who have hidden more than 10% of their total answers (but no less than 20 answers).

I find it amazing (and appalling) that they were not counted before. This means all statistics have been, at least up to now, deeply misleading.

All answers given in KudoZ, from day 1, should count in the statistics, for everybody.

One more reason to get rid of KudoZ points, in my opinion.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ditto Jul 23, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Jared wrote:

They will also be added to the total count of Questions answered (shown on the main page of profiles) and in the statistics found in the KudoZ activity section.

This will apply to answers posted after August 1 by answerers who have hidden more than 10% of their total answers (but no less than 20 answers).

I find it amazing (and appalling) that they were not counted before. This means all statistics have been, at least up to now, deeply misleading.

All answers given in KudoZ, from day 1, should count in the statistics, for everybody.

One more reason to get rid of KudoZ points, in my opinion.

Andrea

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Entirely agree Jul 23, 2008

YES!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Exactly! Jul 23, 2008

Exactly!

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
My KudoZ-related suggestions Jul 23, 2008

Getting rid of KudoZ points?
Well,no,I am definitely against it.(Anyway,it's a nice way of measuring how much you are good at the terminogy of each language field,and it takes out quite a big section of the whole site...and there are hundreds of reasons against this proposal...There must be some people who only come here for the fun of answering KudoZ questions as a kind of relaxation after the serious work...and so on and so forth...)
Approaching the KudoZ-topic from a more serious
... See more
Getting rid of KudoZ points?
Well,no,I am definitely against it.(Anyway,it's a nice way of measuring how much you are good at the terminogy of each language field,and it takes out quite a big section of the whole site...and there are hundreds of reasons against this proposal...There must be some people who only come here for the fun of answering KudoZ questions as a kind of relaxation after the serious work...and so on and so forth...)
Approaching the KudoZ-topic from a more serious focus,it's a perfect way of measuring how much you are expert of a the terminology of a particular field.

However I also have a number of suggestions:

1.)Please make it possible to let KudoZ points be assigned to more than one people, as sometimes there are even two, or three people giving considerable help to us,and currently we cannot honorate the helpfulness of each of them right now.Right now all we can do in such a case either is to close the question without grading,or to choose one of them and assign all the points to that particular person, and it is not good like that(at least I do not like it as it is right now).

2.)Those how notoriously hide hundreds of their answers should either be exluded of the ProZians community(independently of whether they are members or not,and independently of what kind of membership level they have subscribed to),or at least they should not have any chance to hide their answers any more.

As far as personally I am concerned,I regularly take part in the KudoZ competition(because it is a kind of competition in the best sense of the word,a competition who has more expertise in each field's terminogy),but I have never hidden any of my answers so far,and I am not planning to do so not even in the future.

[Módosítva: 2008-07-23 06:15]
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
EVERYTHING should count Jul 23, 2008

Agree, 100%.

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Lack of context - an idea Jul 23, 2008

As for the lack of context,somebody has already popped up the question of the need for a button with the the text : More context needed on it! on it,but it has not become a reality so far.Is it really hard for the proz staff to set it up?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Make everything count!! Jul 23, 2008

Jared wrote:

Why all these rules and conditions? It's as simple as making everything count! We answerers who sometimes have a solid and legitimate reason to hide an answer don't mind at all if our hidden answers count in our statistics from day one! Rules are specific enough, and if some people abuse them, let them carry the consequences.

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Doubt Jul 23, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

I don't think this should be a problem. As you said, Jared, this will only affect a minority, and even if I do hide my answers occasionally (as others said above, when I realise my answer is completely wrong or when it's identical with another one), these would never amount to 10% of my total answers.

I think another possible suggestion would be to make it impossible to hide answers once a question has been closed.

I totally agree!
My doubt is: Is it possible (nowadays) to view my hidden answers (even if they are not part of the statistics) or hiding an answer before August 1st means deleting if from the "system"?

Congratulations to all Proz.com staff for this improvement!
Cheers!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New criteria to be followed for hidden answers in KudoZ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »