Mobile menu

Maybe, \"More context\":option has to be a two-way street ?
Thread poster: Kirill Semenov

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 19, 2003

If I ask a question to KudoZ. I\'m notified when answerers need more context.

If I am one of the answerers, I\'m not notified (by e-mail, I mean) that the Asker has given more context.

If an Asker gives more context on their question, any pro who had given his or her answer before may have a chance to improve their answer, and so help the Asker. This means such a e-mail notification may be useful both for the Asker, and the glossaries.

Just an idea, but I guess it is not that hard to implement. Sending additional e-mail to several pros who had answered a question must not be a problem.

Direct link Reply with quote

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
Member (2002)
English to German
Is in the works May 19, 2003

Many improvements regarding the KudoZ area are currently in development, including more comprehensive notification options.

As far as I know, notification about the addition of more context will be included in the new features.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
German to English
+ ...
More context May 19, 2003

If only askers would heed the request for more context!

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not just context May 19, 2003

Since this is becoming a wish-list for askers...

For colloquial expressions, idioms, proverbs etc., it is very useful if the asker explains what the original means. We had someone in the Russian-English pair recently asking a lot of these sort of questions, who did give such explanations, which made me realise how useful it is and how few people do it.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Context May 20, 2003

I would also suggest that those giving a translation for a term include their context. Usually when I ask a question, I already know more or less what the answer should be. I want someone to convince me that a given translation is the right one. Just adding \'experience\' or the term on its own is not really enough. Maybe I am asking too much.

The other problem is that you can translate certain terms and phrases differently depending on the context. If the translator suggesting an answer gives his or her context, then the person asking can make a much better decision. I know that the person asking should also have provided more context, but in certain cases this is not possible.

Just thought I\'d add my wish list!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maybe, \"More context\":option has to be a two-way street ?

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs