Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reference comments will not be included in the statistics Aug 6, 2008

writeaway wrote:

I posted a reference (only) but when the question was closed, I received the following message:

A question you answered has been closed.
The asker has selected another answer.

Does this mean that posting references will automatically end up lowering a person's 'reliability ratio', just as it does when people post NFG answers?

Thanks for posting here, that particular notification was not modified by mistake.

The answer is no, the reference comments will not be included as answers in any statistic.

Regards,
Enrique

Martin Cassell
Martin Cassell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:53
French to English
Excellent idea: one or two observations Aug 6, 2008

I think this is a good move in the right direction. Some initial thoughts on the implementation:

(1) At present only a summary list of translation suggestions is given, making it easy to overlook the presence of any reference contributions. It would be very helpful to list references too.

(2) References seem to have the identical "agree/neutral/disagree" response mechanism which is used for regular suggestions. Is this really appropriate? Surely agree-disagree are not t
... See more
I think this is a good move in the right direction. Some initial thoughts on the implementation:

(1) At present only a summary list of translation suggestions is given, making it easy to overlook the presence of any reference contributions. It would be very helpful to list references too.

(2) References seem to have the identical "agree/neutral/disagree" response mechanism which is used for regular suggestions. Is this really appropriate? Surely agree-disagree are not truly applicable here? [I would also hope they are not counted in one's overall statistics.]

(3) The tight limit on the length of peer responses will unnecessarily limit any supplementary observations from other colleagues.

Often the most enlightening part of a question is a conversation, or an evolving collaborative corpus of background information, which cannot satisfactorily be conducted through answers or references; for one thing cross-referencing reactions posted in two different answers, to establish time-sequence, is a nightmare! Also, one is not notified of updates to another contributor's answer/reference: it is this which drives many KudoZers to conduct conversations in the AskAsker box, and while this innovation answers much of the 'problem', it does not (yet) answer this aspect, to my mind.
Collapse

Martin Cassell
United Kingdom
French to English
Excellent idea: one or two further observations Aug 6, 2008

These observations are more to do with the relationship of this innovation to how KudoZ is managed and how management policy is communicated.

(1) Enforcement of policy
A campaign to drive "non-conforming" entries out of the AskAsker box has recently been evident in at least one language pair that I read and contribute to. One is forced to speculate that the campaign was connected with this innovation.

If this speculation _is_ correct, why was the imminent introduc
... See more
These observations are more to do with the relationship of this innovation to how KudoZ is managed and how management policy is communicated.

(1) Enforcement of policy
A campaign to drive "non-conforming" entries out of the AskAsker box has recently been evident in at least one language pair that I read and contribute to. One is forced to speculate that the campaign was connected with this innovation.

If this speculation _is_ correct, why was the imminent introduction of reference posts not mentioned in connection with the removal of entries from AskAsker? That might have avoided much ruffling of feathers and discontented muttering in virtual corners.

(2) Searchability
The reason which _was_ given for removing entries from AskAsker was that "it is not searchable in the Glossary". In what way will reference information be any more searchable? Will there be parallel improvements in the glossary search? (I'd better stop before I go any further off topic ...)
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It just happened again Aug 6, 2008

Enrique wrote:

writeaway wrote:

I posted a reference (only) but when the question was closed, I received the following message:

Does this mean that posting references will automatically end up lowering a person's 'reliability ratio', just as it does when people post NFG answers?

Thanks for posting here, that particular notification was not modified by mistake.

The answer is no, the reference comments will not be included as answers in any statistic.

Regards,
Enrique

In the email message sent by Proz, I am listed as an answerer, although I only posted a reference. The message was the same, that question was closed and another 'answer' had been chosen.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This will be solved today Aug 6, 2008

writeaway wrote:
It just happened again

Hi writeaway,

Thanks for posting again.

This was not solved yet, it will be done in the next few hours.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Good feedback! Aug 6, 2008

Martin Cassell wrote:

Thanks Martin, great feedback! Based on your comment, an additional line was added below the summary to indicate the presence of reference comments (including a link to the first comment). This is shown only when there are reference comments.

(2) References seem to have the identical "agree/neutral/disagree" response mechanism which is used for regular suggestions. Is this really appropriate? Surely agree-disagree are not truly applicable here? [I would also hope they are not counted in one's overall statistics.]

Reference comment will not be included in any statistic. This also applies to the peer comments received by them.

Keeping the peer grading features makes sense. Let's give the option to the community and see if it is used or not.

(3) The tight limit on the length of peer responses will unnecessarily limit any supplementary observations from other colleagues.

Often the most enlightening part of a question is a conversation, or an evolving collaborative corpus of background information, which cannot satisfactorily be conducted through answers or references; for one thing cross-referencing reactions posted in two different answers, to establish time-sequence, is a nightmare! Also, one is not notified of updates to another contributor's answer/reference: it is this which drives many KudoZers to conduct conversations in the AskAsker box, and while this innovation answers much of the 'problem', it does not (yet) answer this aspect, to my mind.

A separate "discussion" area will be delivered next.

Regards,
Enrique

Martin Cassell
United Kingdom
French to English
RE: Good feedback! Aug 6, 2008

Hi Enrique,

(1) Looks good!

(2) OK, I can see how peers might want to agree/disagree if they feel references are pertinent or not; all the more so if this is restricted to references, helped by the provision of a separate outlet for discussions.

(3) Good idea in principle -- but I see the first cut at implementing this made a brief appearance and then went into hiding again!

Martin Cassell
United Kingdom
French to English
RE: Good feedback! (2) Aug 7, 2008

Hi Enrique,

* Answerer statistics
Further to the question which I among others have raised, about the relationship of reference contributions to answerer statistics, I notice that a question where I posted a reference is listed among my open questions, with no indication that it is not a suggested translation.

- Surely it should be either separately listed, or flagged as a reference?
- Is it counted among my total number of answers, too?

S
... See more
Hi Enrique,

* Answerer statistics
Further to the question which I among others have raised, about the relationship of reference contributions to answerer statistics, I notice that a question where I posted a reference is listed among my open questions, with no indication that it is not a suggested translation.

- Surely it should be either separately listed, or flagged as a reference?
- Is it counted among my total number of answers, too?

Saludos

Martin
Collapse

Martin Cassell
United Kingdom
French to English
Closed questions Aug 7, 2008

writeaway wrote:

Just happened to me, too.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Processing feedback Aug 7, 2008

The issue of notifications to reference comments posters when the question is graded should be solved now.

Martin's comment about statistics (and the additional information he kindly provided about it) showed us a bug in the old vertion (V4) of the site that will be solved very soon, probably today.

Once again, thanks for your feedback!

Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ experiment: Option to post 'reference information'

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »