Is it true what I've heard?
Thread poster: mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 20:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2008

Can anyone here confirm the rumour to the effect that Henry plans to give ProZ.com life membership as a prize to whoever gets four KudoZ points for their answer to the 2-millionth KudoZ question*, and one year's free membership for everyone who 'agrees' with that answer?

I only ask so I know whether it's worth staying up late tomorrow night to be sure of not missing the chance of a lifetime...

MediaMatrix

* As per the numbers on the home page - not the numb
... See more
Can anyone here confirm the rumour to the effect that Henry plans to give ProZ.com life membership as a prize to whoever gets four KudoZ points for their answer to the 2-millionth KudoZ question*, and one year's free membership for everyone who 'agrees' with that answer?

I only ask so I know whether it's worth staying up late tomorrow night to be sure of not missing the chance of a lifetime...

MediaMatrix

* As per the numbers on the home page - not the numbers embedded in the KudoZ URLs - currently standing at 1,999,096 translation questions asked.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Interesting Sep 1, 2008

If it was true - the only problem would be - what is the chance that this question is going to be asked in one of your language pairs?

Btw. What is the source of this rumour?

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Henry ... Sep 1, 2008

... in case it's not abundantly clear, it's at this point that you're supposed to jump in, confirm enthusiastically, and take the credit for the clever marketing idea that's just been handed to you on a silver platter

However, from a financial point of view, you may wish to consider limiting the number of agrees to say the first ten.

[Edited at 2008-09-01 22:44]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But Stanislaw... Sep 1, 2008

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

If it was true - the only problem would be - what is the chance that this question is going to be asked in one of your language pairs?

Don't you see? - That's all part of the fun!

Mind you, it would be a bit of a bummer if it turned out to be in the Creek-Susu pair...

MediaMatrix

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey! Sep 1, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

However, from a financial point of view, you may wish to consider limiting the amount of agrees to say the first ten.

Whose side are you on? Spoilsport!

MediaMatrix

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:31
Spanish
+ ...
**wink wink nudge nudge ** Sep 1, 2008

Yeah, I heard it too

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:31
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not fair Sep 1, 2008

That's not fair!
I suggest rewarding the disagrees and neutrals as well!

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Yeah, I heard it too

Oh yeah, sure thing, but it's still a secret, you know...

LOL

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Discrimination Sep 2, 2008

mediamatrix wrote:
Mind you, it would be a bit of a bummer if it turned out to be in the Creek-Susu pair...

MediaMatrix

And what, pray, have you against the "Creek-Susu pair", if I may make so bold?

Andy.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hmmmmm.... Sep 2, 2008

Chances are excellent that the golden question will be asked in the prolific Spanish/English community. Maybe I should ditch my current translation and just answer KudoZ!

(Of course, I've known all about it for weeks! BTW, where do you find the number of questions asked?)

Jane

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 2, 2008

Andy Watkinson wrote:

mediamatrix wrote:

MediaMatrix

And what, pray, have you against the "Creek-Susu pair", if I may make so bold?

Just this, Andy:

Proz.com Directory Search wrote:
Creek to Susu (0) » This search (0)
No results found

No candidates - no winners! Except Henry - he'd be relieved, I'm sure...

(Actually, Andy, that 'pair' came to mind simply because I've come across a couple of peers claiming (in spite of their better judgement, probably, seeing as actually they speak Spanish and Greek) to have one or other of those languages as their native tongue. I wouldn't, of course, have been so bold as to mention any likely 'real' pair...)

JaneTranslates wrote:
Chances are excellent that the golden question will be asked in the prolific Spanish/English community. Maybe I should ditch my current translation and just answer KudoZ!

(Of course, I've known all about it for weeks! BTW, where do you find the number of questions asked?)

You're right, the stats (if not the stars) may favour the English/Spanish community. Fingers crossed, eh?

You can see the number on the home page (assuming you've not hidden the 'recent KudoZ questions' table). Currently (02 Sep 2008 - 00:48.00 GMT) standing at: 1,999,139 - and COUNTING!

MediaMatrix

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
don't forget the Asker! Sep 2, 2008

If all the Askers were to stop dead in their tracks, we wouldn't get to question Number 2 million, so I think you should have an incentive for Askers too!

This is brilliant, Mediamatrix!

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting... Sep 2, 2008

I was wondering what would happen if the question is not closed by the asker? If the answers don't get any agrees, or not enough, it will not be closed automatically.

Just wondering...

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I do not and can not see any purpose for Henry to do so. Sep 2, 2008

* As per the numbers on the home page - not the numbers embedded in the KudoZ URLs - currently standing at 1,999,096 translation questions asked.

Where can this number(1,999,096) be seen?

By the way,awarding 1 000 000 Brownies is I think useless,as you cannot use that many brownies basicly on anything.
Awarding that much KudoZ would blow away the whole purpose of KudoZ(that it takes knowledge and expertise and a thorough research to be able to answer a question correctly... and so to "win" KudoZ.

[Módosítva: 2008-09-02 09:19]

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Urban legend... Sep 2, 2008

I think that's just an urban legend ,without any justification.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
SSSHHHHH! Sep 2, 2008

savaria wrote:

I think that's just an urban legend ,without any justification.

Of course it is. But don't tell anybody!

And if you look above at mediamatrix's most recent post, you'll see the answer she gave to your question about where to find the number. I had asked the same thing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it true what I've heard?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »