Italian to English Moderator Angela Arnone
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:27
Italian to English
Sep 2, 2008

Hello to all in the Italian to English KudoZ community.

Angela Arnone tells me she has now stepped down from the role of Moderator, which she has performed with such devotion, expertise and character for many years - and not only for the IT > EN KudoZ section.
I am sure we shall still have the benefit of her stimulating contributions in the forums and elsewhere but I felt we could not let the occasion pass without a very big thank you.
I have yet to "meet" her successor
... See more
Hello to all in the Italian to English KudoZ community.

Angela Arnone tells me she has now stepped down from the role of Moderator, which she has performed with such devotion, expertise and character for many years - and not only for the IT > EN KudoZ section.
I am sure we shall still have the benefit of her stimulating contributions in the forums and elsewhere but I felt we could not let the occasion pass without a very big thank you.
I have yet to "meet" her successor in the KudoZ pages - or elsewhere - but wish Fabiana well in what will be a hard act to follow.
Thank you Angela.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-04 19:09]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Angela Arnone Sep 2, 2008

On behalf of site staff and myself I would like to add a warm "Thank you!" to Angela, a great moderator and a great lady!

Enrique

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Cheers Sep 2, 2008

Thanks, Angela. Hope you're having a good week.
Amy

[Edited at 2008-09-02 17:46]

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:27
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe a little off topic Sep 2, 2008

However, maybe it's not!
You can't be active in every community on earth, of course.
In another forum you told about an interesting Italian-Canadian dead remembrance project you played a key role in. Is it to find on the internet somewhere?
Thanks for telling me, beit a link on this site or via e-mail.
The Maple Leaf Legacy Project
http://www.mapleleaflegacy.org/
asks f
... See more
However, maybe it's not!
You can't be active in every community on earth, of course.
In another forum you told about an interesting Italian-Canadian dead remembrance project you played a key role in. Is it to find on the internet somewhere?
Thanks for telling me, beit a link on this site or via e-mail.
The Maple Leaf Legacy Project
http://www.mapleleaflegacy.org/
asks for pictures of yet-not-collected Canadian graves and it thought me good to deliver them the Canadian (CommonWealth) headstones of the Vredenhof (peace garden) cemetery on the Schiermonnikoog island in The Netherlands, where Australian, British, Canadian, Dutch, French, German, Polish, and New Zealand soldiers and sailors lay side by side. Maybe more nationalities. God knows. At least some freestyle Swedish sailor graves outside the cemetery.
http://picasaweb.google.nl/HenkPeelen/Schiermonnikoog20080816#
For anyone interested: scroll down till 40% from below.

Thanks, Russel! Thanks Angela, for the links in the mail. Very informative sites!

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-09-03 17:09]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Italian-Canadian remembrance project Sep 2, 2008

Hi Henk

Lots of links here:
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q="%20Angela%20Arnone"+Ortona+Canadian&kgs=0&kls=1
HTH

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
English to Italian
What a lady! Sep 2, 2008

I thank Angela for having been such a great moderator and person. Our paths crossed some times and she was always extremely kind and patient to me. We'll surely miss her as a moderator, and I do hope that she will still have an active part in our community.

[Edited at 2008-09-02 21:52]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:27
SITE FOUNDER
Angela is one of the people who has made this site what it is Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for this post, Russell.

Angela is a real ProZ.com hero. In addition to her KudoZ moderation for all these years, more than anyone, the credit goes to Angela for the whole offline side of this community: the conferences, the powwows, the trainings - all of the face-to-face side of our community came out of an idea of hers to get a bunch of the Italian KudoZ crowd together for a "glass of wine". (The subsequent work that Angela, with Roberta Anderson, did led to our first inter
... See more
Thanks for this post, Russell.

Angela is a real ProZ.com hero. In addition to her KudoZ moderation for all these years, more than anyone, the credit goes to Angela for the whole offline side of this community: the conferences, the powwows, the trainings - all of the face-to-face side of our community came out of an idea of hers to get a bunch of the Italian KudoZ crowd together for a "glass of wine". (The subsequent work that Angela, with Roberta Anderson, did led to our first international conference in Tuscany back in 2001).

What a gift this has been to our community... how many friendships, business relationships, even marriages (and children) have resulted!

Lest anyone think this was a fluke, I can tell you it was not. Angela has a passion that gives life to so much around her. She has left an indelible mark on this community.

Thanks, Angela!
Collapse

Jean-Marie Le Ray
Jean-Marie Le Ray  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
Buona continuazione :-) Sep 3, 2008

Baci e abbracci, Angela.

Jean-Marie

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Ciao Angela Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for all your hard work over the years. We'll miss your moderation.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dearest Angela, Sep 3, 2008

In my 2+ years here at proz I had the chance to appreciate your work, your dedication, your professionalism and your ladylike manners.
We’ll miss your moderation but I do hope we’ll see you around!
Thanks for everything!

HugZ

B.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I need to add my voice my dearest Angela! Sep 3, 2008

I really appreciated Angela's work, passion and personality.
I like her a lot, her passion, her latin soul.

I also met her in person 3-4 times, I am proud to say that I consider her a friend of mine and she demonstrated her friendship too.

I met her in Italy even if our towns are not close, destiny also wanted that last year we were in New York in the same week.

Ciao e grazie Angela!!

I will miss you as a moderator but I really hope
... See more
I really appreciated Angela's work, passion and personality.
I like her a lot, her passion, her latin soul.

I also met her in person 3-4 times, I am proud to say that I consider her a friend of mine and she demonstrated her friendship too.

I met her in Italy even if our towns are not close, destiny also wanted that last year we were in New York in the same week.

Ciao e grazie Angela!!

I will miss you as a moderator but I really hope to meet you again soon.

a big big kiss!

Angio
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I would have resigned sooner if I'd known I would get such an accolade! Sep 3, 2008

The ProZ.com experience has been fundamental for me.

With or without the moderating, the site has changed my life. I know it's not the same for everyone, and possibly I just happened along at a time that was right for me, but the things I learned about translating, about people, about myself and about running a business came mainly from here. I'm not exaggerating.
I live in a small town where there are no professional openings for someone like me, except teaching English, whic
... See more
The ProZ.com experience has been fundamental for me.

With or without the moderating, the site has changed my life. I know it's not the same for everyone, and possibly I just happened along at a time that was right for me, but the things I learned about translating, about people, about myself and about running a business came mainly from here. I'm not exaggerating.
I live in a small town where there are no professional openings for someone like me, except teaching English, which I did wish to do.
When I found the site I had just taken the leap from a part-time office job into freelance translating. I had just finished chemotherapy and was physically a wreck, with my brain not too hot either.
ProZ.com meant interacting with people who didn't know about my illness, my scars and my frustrations. It was a fresh start and with people facing the same professional challenges as myself, who wanted to share their ideas, problems and experience. People who were around when being alone turned into loneliness but who were not in your face when you needed to be focused on your work.
It was exhiliarating.
I learned I had resources I could never have imagined, but I also became aware of what an enormous range of human beings are out there, how easy it is to push someone's buttons and find yourself on the receiving end of some soul-destroying insults. But it is all useful in the grand plan of things. I think.

And it was totally normal to start asking where folks lived ... if we should meet ... have a drink. Like all colleagues do. It was evident that the human contact was needed. Never did I think for one minute that it would lead to all this.

I won't go on and on as it's not really my style (although the occasional rant does occur), but I want to say that I am pleased that many of you have understood the passion - either you believe in something and do it properly, or you go and do something else. That's my code. Half-baked leads to bellyache. I know that not every culture appreciates passion expressed as I do it, but it's kept me alive, and I don't know where I'd be without it.

I regret that I have trodden on toes - I don't wittingly wish to offend and if anyone has been, I take this opportunity to beg pardon. I do have a sense of humour forged in the wilds of Northumberland combined with a character forged by Sicilian ancestry, so that's quite explosive at times.

I would like to thank you all for putting up with me, for supporting me, for giving me work, advice, smiles, compliments, for being my friends, sharing triumphs and sorrows. I would like to remember travelling companions who are no longer with us ... Uwe, Laura, Justin, Matthew Coulson, Richard, amongst others.

Of course, like all of you, I have a real life and things have been happening out here that made me realize that ProZ.com was moving on faster than I could keep up with it, and it was unfair to fill a seat that would be a great experience for someone else. That it was selfish of me to hang on. So I shall enjoy watching developments, I may well offer my whacky opinions in forums and for kudoz, I'll be looking out for pow-wows and suggesting some training courses (that are not legal and finance ... ), and I'll see you all.

Anyone who will be in Liverpool on September 27, at the IoL Members' day, stop by and say hello before I give my speech.
Anyone coming to or curious about Abruzzo, get in touch.

Angela

PS - Henry forgot my greatest contribution .. The GloZary. But that's another story.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian to English Moderator Angela Arnone

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »