Is it obligatory to have a ProZ Profile to ask a KudoZ question? (Staff: 'No')
Thread poster: airmailrpl
airmailrpl
airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:03
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 2, 2003

I am wondering if it is obligatory to have a ProZ Profile to ask a KudoZ question???

In the Portuguese>English and English>Portuguese pairs, KudoZ askers who do not have a ProZ Profile or whose ProZ Profile is not 'satisfactorily' filled out are getting refusals by Proz members to suggest answers to their queries. And Proz members who do not join in the 'harassment' sometimes get 'retribution' from the 'Profile Police' if they dare to suggest an answer to the query.

Doe
... See more
I am wondering if it is obligatory to have a ProZ Profile to ask a KudoZ question???

In the Portuguese>English and English>Portuguese pairs, KudoZ askers who do not have a ProZ Profile or whose ProZ Profile is not 'satisfactorily' filled out are getting refusals by Proz members to suggest answers to their queries. And Proz members who do not join in the 'harassment' sometimes get 'retribution' from the 'Profile Police' if they dare to suggest an answer to the query.

Does this happen in the other pairs?

Is it a requirement to have a filled out Profile to ask a KudoZ question??

Sometimes KudoZ questions come in from other sites like 'yourdictionary.com' where there is no provision for the asker to fill in a profile - but even then the 'Profile Police' take exception and boycott the askers query.

[Edited at 2003-06-02 07:41]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:03
SITE FOUNDER
Registation is not a requirement Jun 2, 2003

It is important to be aware that because there are KudoZ affiliates, it is possible for people who have not registered with the site--who have never been to or even heard of ProZ.com--to ask questions.

Some of our members learned about ProZ.com this way. Some of the people who have posted jobs learned about ProZ.com this way.

Some members have complained that non-registered askers tend to ask less interesting questions. This is true in many cases. If you would like to a
... See more
It is important to be aware that because there are KudoZ affiliates, it is possible for people who have not registered with the site--who have never been to or even heard of ProZ.com--to ask questions.

Some of our members learned about ProZ.com this way. Some of the people who have posted jobs learned about ProZ.com this way.

Some members have complained that non-registered askers tend to ask less interesting questions. This is true in many cases. If you would like to avoid questions from non-registered askers, turn off notifications of "easy" questions (non-registered askers can only ask those.)

And of course, anyone is free to refrain from answering any question they like.

As for harassment of members who do answer, that would not be discouraged. If you encounter serious harassment, please use the support request system to report it.
Collapse

airmailrpl
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope that the 'discouraged' was a typo!! Jun 2, 2003

"As for harassment of members who do answer, that would not be discouraged."

I hope that the 'discouraged' was a typo!!

"If you encounter serious harassment, please use the support request system to report it."

Probably 'harassment' is too strong a term for what is happening - though there are 'comments' to the answerers in the agrees/disagrees.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:03
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Contact your SC moderator Jun 2, 2003

airmailrpl wrote:

Probably 'harassment' is too strong a term for what is happening - though there are 'comments' to the answerers in the agrees/disagrees.

Hi,

KudoZ Rule no. 2 says clearly that personal comments are not allowed. Contact your SC moderator (or any ProZ.com moderator) in such cases.

We hide comments and invite members not to (mis)use the agree/disagree box for personal comments.

Best,

Giuliana

airmailrpl
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contact your SC moderator Jun 3, 2003

What is a SC moderator??

Please excuse my ignorance.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:03
English to German
+ ...
Moderator for a specific language pair Jun 3, 2003

What is a SC moderator??

Valid question - apologies, but we've become so accustomed to using "SC" (=sub-community) that we sometimes forget that not everyone is familiar with the abbreviation.

You will find a link to the moderator(s) for the language pair concerned at the end of each KudoZ question - the full list is here.

HTH - Ralf

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:03
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sorry :-( Jun 3, 2003

Hi,

I am very sorry.. I should have written Sub Community, but habit is stronger than reason.

Have a nice day,

Giuliana

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
SC Jun 3, 2003

Yes, at first I wondered why people were always talking about referring things to the Serbo-Croat moderator, but I've known what it means for some time now!

[Edited at 2003-06-03 22:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it obligatory to have a ProZ Profile to ask a KudoZ question? (Staff: 'No')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »