"Provide more context" button in Kudoz?
Thread poster: bohy

bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:34
English to French
+ ...
Sep 14, 2008

Very often, askers request translation of a term or expression without giving enough context . Sometimes, there is no context at all.
I often feel a bit upset to have to type a whole sentence to request context, when the Kudoz asker has not made the effort to write a whole sentence him/herself.
Could we have a simple button somewhere to say "Provide more context"?
In the same way, many texts are so ambiguous that, in my opinion, they require an interaction with the customer. Instead of explaining that again and again, could we have a button somewhere? Like "Ask customer" or "Needs clarification from customer"...
I know that there are many buttons already. Well, I hope Proz gathers statistics on the actual use of the various buttons, and that only the most useful will remain. There are several that I never use.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:34
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Sep 14, 2008

Another button? Please...no.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Bohy Sep 14, 2008

The "Request clarification" (formerly "Ask the Asker") button serves exactly this purpose...

Natalia

xxxsavaria
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
:) Sep 14, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Another button? Please...no.

I couldn't agree more!

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz asker and asker's customer are not the same Sep 14, 2008

Natalie wrote:

The "Request clarification" (formerly "Ask the Asker") button serves exactly this purpose...

Natalia

Request clarification opens a text field where we have to spend our time explaining the asker that he didn't do his job (provide enough context, or interact with his customer). What I'd like is a one-click action.

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
absolutely...a great idea! Sep 14, 2008

bohy wrote:

Request clarification opens a text field where we have to spend our time explaining the asker that he didn't do his job (provide enough context, or interact with his customer). What I'd like is a one-click action.

We all spend far too much time begging the poster for additional context. A button of this sort would be a time-saver in my opinion.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Excellent idea Sep 14, 2008

- and what's one more button? There's plenty space for several more buttons.

Ivana

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
And a timeout Sep 14, 2008

When someone pushes the CONTEXT button, a clock starts. If the asker fails to provide more context within X amount of time, ZAP!!! the question disappears.

How about that?

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Constant dripping wears the stone Sep 14, 2008

bohy wrote:

Could we have a simple button somewhere to say "Provide more context"?
In the same way, many texts are so ambiguous that, in my opinion, they require an interaction with the customer. Instead of explaining that again and again, could we have a button somewhere? Like "Ask customer" or "Needs clarification from customer"

The same idea was proposed 10 days ago in this thread

[Edited at 2008-09-14 22:56]

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Good idea, not new Sep 14, 2008

Harry Bornemann wrote:

This has come up umpteen times before, and we're slowly getting nowhere.

Some examples:

here

here

here

here

here

etc. etc.

I still agree with the suggestion, though the authorities that be obviously think otherwise.

Cilian

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
or here Sep 15, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/32141-feature_proposal:_vote_for_automatic_content_request.html

or

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/18548-suggestion:_new_category_for_squashing:_no_context_provided_refusal_to_provide_context.html

It goes on and on...

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not about bad citizenship, it's about a one-click reply Sep 15, 2008

Harry Bornemann wrote:

I know, I've read a lot of these threads, replied sometimes, but I'm tired of discussing. What I'd like is to express my opinion by a single click to people who post questions by a single cut-and-paste and a few clicks.
Also agree with Henry's idea of a timeout (for those who post their questions without context, just before shutting down their computer for the day...). ZAP!

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Far too much time?? Sep 15, 2008

Patricia Rosas wrote:
We all spend far too much time begging the poster for additional context. A button of this sort would be a time-saver in my opinion.

"We" don't spend any time at all on such questions. We leave as soon as we see there is nothing to go on....

Best,
Pawel Skalinski

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to German
+ ...
Non-communication as a remedy for non-communication? Sep 15, 2008

Sounds like fun.

Most (but not all) askers fail to provide proper context because they don't know what context actually means.

I prefer to ask specifically for readership, type and purpose of the document, and such.

If I don't feel like asking for context, I ignore the question because I usually have other things to do.

A button is predestined to be abused - similar to the "Vote Non-Pro" button, that is frequently used by certain colleagues who consider very many questions "easy", yet will never come up with an answer.

However, Henry's suggestion is intriguing. If the asker doesn't provide any context within a given period of time, the question should be considered "abandoned" and should be deleted.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A timeout Sep 15, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:
When someone pushes the CONTEXT button, a clock starts. If the asker fails to provide more context within X amount of time, ZAP!!! the question disappears.
How about that?

Yes!! Optionally, can it also zap bad askers from the site?

Just daydreaming here Henry. You know these things will never happen as they work against Proz's much desired traffic. They need all taps open and no tap closed to anyone, no matter how incorrectly they ask.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Provide more context" button in Kudoz?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs