https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/115636-automatic_countdown_timer_for_discuss_area_of_question_page_why.html

Automatic countdown timer for "discuss" area of question page. Why?
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 18, 2008

Does anyone see any point in this feature? I don't.

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 07:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Good for nothing Sep 18, 2008

I don't either.It urges us to write as quickly as possible,full of mistakes,slips of finger...

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
I do :-)) Sep 18, 2008

Hi Jack,

It says "Automatic update" next to it. So, as far as I understand, if you keep the page open and if someone else replies to your comments in that field, or continues the discussion in any other way, you'll be able to view their input without refreshing the page yourself.

I hope someone will correct me if I misunderstand the feature...

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
A sort of chat room? Sep 18, 2008

But I still don't get it. Does it work if someone happens to see an entry as soon as it comes up and posts a reply to it? But how often does that happen? And as savaria says, who wants to be forced into typing something in at frantic speed trying to beat the clock? Is the person who posts something in a discussion area not notified of replies anyway?

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Sep 18, 2008

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Hi Jack,

It says "Automatic update" next to it. So, as far as I understand, if you keep the page open and if someone else replies to your comments in that field, or continues the discussion in any other way, you'll be able to view their input without refreshing the page yourself.

I hope someone will correct me if I misunderstand the feature...

That might be true,but at the very same time what you have written(which might have actually been a longish and even crucial explanation,it disappears at the very same time...and it cancelles all our work full of effort.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It put me off Sep 18, 2008

I wanted to add something in the discussion section yesterday, but when I saw that little timer ticking the seconds away, I thought "WTF?!" and changed my mind. It's extremely off-putting and I also fail to see the point of it, at least without further explanation of what it actually does - which isn't at all clear.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 09:45]

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I'm beginning to get the idea, I think... Sep 18, 2008

I think it is meant as a sort of chat room. I have three screens available, a desktop with two monitors and a laptop. I am often using two of these, but very rarely have all three open. But if I did, I could keep the discussion area to which I had contributed open on one screen and glance at it occasionally to see if anyone else had added anything. But I could do that anyway without a countdown to update. I suppose someone with only one screen could reduce the question with the discussion a... See more
I think it is meant as a sort of chat room. I have three screens available, a desktop with two monitors and a laptop. I am often using two of these, but very rarely have all three open. But if I did, I could keep the discussion area to which I had contributed open on one screen and glance at it occasionally to see if anyone else had added anything. But I could do that anyway without a countdown to update. I suppose someone with only one screen could reduce the question with the discussion area to a very small window, just showing enough to tell if anything was being added. But the update countdown would still not be necessary for that, though it might be a convenience.
But does anyone use the discussion area in this way?
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
There is no time pressure Sep 18, 2008

That is, you don't have to complete typing your comments within the time shown on the timer. It just shows you when the next update will take place. I have just tested it using two browser tabs at FireFox: wrote a message and let the counter run down to zero before submitting it. My message was not lost. I hit the submit button after zero. Then started typing another message in the second browser and let the counter run down to zero again. Before I submitted my second message, the first one I ha... See more
That is, you don't have to complete typing your comments within the time shown on the timer. It just shows you when the next update will take place. I have just tested it using two browser tabs at FireFox: wrote a message and let the counter run down to zero before submitting it. My message was not lost. I hit the submit button after zero. Then started typing another message in the second browser and let the counter run down to zero again. Before I submitted my second message, the first one I had typed in the first browser tab appeared on the screen in the second browser tab once the counter hit zero.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 11:01]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A new option will be provided Sep 18, 2008

Hi all,

The objective of the update timer is, as described above, to let you know of other entries to the discussion without you having to refresh the page.

Since some members find this timer annoying, we will provide the option to keep it hidden from view (while keeping the functionality).

Regards

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Enrique Sep 18, 2008

That should satisfy all concerned. I think I'll opt out of it myself.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Would invisibility take the irritation out of it? Sep 20, 2008

Enrique wrote:
The objective of the update timer is, as described above, to let you know of other entries to the discussion without you having to refresh the page.

Since some members find this timer annoying, we will provide the option to keep it hidden from view (while keeping the functionality).
Regards

If you hit "submit" at the wrong time, - and I am not sure what is the wrong time, but it happens, - your text disappears.

At least we should know what to do, like wait?!!! for the next round, and not to submit around zero, or what?
I don't want to check the counter all the time, let alone wait for it to reach a magic number, or avoid it.
And of course, when it is invisible, I cannot, but it seems, it could still wipe my text out.

At least can we have a clearer explanation of the effect of the updating function on the timing of submission?

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Small improvements to these features Oct 9, 2008

Hi all,

Two small improvements requested by the community have been implemented:

a) The discussion box is now open by default, giving users the option to have it normally closed

b) It is possible to hide the refresh counter while preserving its functionality (to show you new entries in the discussion without having to refresh the page)

You can see the available options in the picture below:

See more
Hi all,

Two small improvements requested by the community have been implemented:

a) The discussion box is now open by default, giving users the option to have it normally closed

b) It is possible to hide the refresh counter while preserving its functionality (to show you new entries in the discussion without having to refresh the page)

You can see the available options in the picture below:

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
What the refresh counter does Oct 9, 2008

juvera wrote:

If you hit "submit" at the wrong time, - and I am not sure what is the wrong time, but it happens, - your text disappears.

At least we should know what to do, like wait?!!! for the next round, and not to submit around zero, or what?
I don't want to check the counter all the time, let alone wait for it to reach a magic number, or avoid it.
And of course, when it is invisible, I cannot, but it seems, it could still wipe my text out.

At least can we have a clearer explanation of the effect of the updating function on the timing of submission?

The role of the refresh feature is to show you new entries in the discussion without having to refresh the page. The counter simply tells you when the new refresh will take place.

You can post whenever you want, the counter has no relationship with the posting of your entries.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic countdown timer for "discuss" area of question page. Why?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »