Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

We have seen so many forums complaining about Kudoz's weaknesses and sins lately ─I am also partly responsible, I know, I know─ that I feel it's a good moment for us to declare what features in Kudoz we love and find particularly important and special.

The reason for this posting is that, after all the complaints, I see a risk that the features we like most could be altered to the worse.

So folks, let's hear what you have to say about the features of Kudoz you li
... See more
We have seen so many forums complaining about Kudoz's weaknesses and sins lately ─I am also partly responsible, I know, I know─ that I feel it's a good moment for us to declare what features in Kudoz we love and find particularly important and special.

The reason for this posting is that, after all the complaints, I see a risk that the features we like most could be altered to the worse.

So folks, let's hear what you have to say about the features of Kudoz you like most and why. What feature should stay in Kudoz forever? What aspect should never change?

(PS: If at all possible, please be brief so that all colleagues can quickly read all opinions. Thank you so much!)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not a feature per se, but... Oct 16, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
So folks, let's hear what you have to say about the features of Kudoz you like most and why. What feature should stay in Kudoz forever? What aspect should never change?

Not a feature really, but I enjoy the opportunity to see which of my colleagues are possibly good translators (and may be worth outsourcing to) and which of them are completely cr...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
All the GOOD answers and feedback Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for bringing this up, Tomás!

Between the newbies and others (no names no pack drill...) who do not use KudoZ correctly, there is a great majority, at least in 'my' languages, who give well-considered answers and really try to help.

And the disagree function when it is not misused
No, really!
I am grateful to a colleague who disagrees with my answer and gives a sensible explanation be
... See more
Thanks for bringing this up, Tomás!

Between the newbies and others (no names no pack drill...) who do not use KudoZ correctly, there is a great majority, at least in 'my' languages, who give well-considered answers and really try to help.

No, really!
I am grateful to a colleague who disagrees with my answer and gives a sensible explanation before I make a stupid mistake in a translation and have to explain to a client...

You live and learn with KudoZ.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disagrees, a must if used properly Oct 16, 2008

Christine Andersen wrote:
No, really!
I am grateful to a colleague who disagrees with my answer and gives a sensible explanation before I make a stupid mistake in a translation and have to explain to a client...

Hi Christine. Yes, I entirely agree! I quite like disagrees when they come from people who have a good reason to disagree and let me know. Thanks for mentioning it!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Getting to Know You... Oct 16, 2008

Agree with Samuel, but would like to add that you can make "virtual friends" through KudoZ by the question and answer dialog, comments and responses, and if you want, get in touch with someone you like to further the acquaintance and/or establish a professional relationship.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting to distinguish good translators Oct 16, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Not a feature really, but I enjoy the opportunity to see which of my colleagues are possibly good translators

Yes, I entirely agree with that. After many years in Kudoz, I could easily pinpoint 4/5 people in each of my language pairs who I would trust completely for an eventual need... Good point Samuel!

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Oct 16, 2008

Tomás,

A big, big THANK YOU for this thread. The positive thinking is sooo much better than the always complaining attitude!

How about being completely stuck in a word, looking it up everywhere and finding nothing, and then a colleague tells you what it is and literally saves your day???

Again thank you for posting this!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely! Oct 16, 2008

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:
How about being completely stuck in a word, looking it up everywhere and finding nothing, and then a colleague tells you what it is and literally saves your day???

Yeah! I know what you mean. It's so great that careful translators have a way of asking other trusted colleagues what they think!

So far it looks like what we love about Kudoz is the opportunities it provides, more than a particular feature. Let's hear what other people have to say.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good topic, Tomás Oct 16, 2008

Hi,

I agree with previous posters in that the "support network" is a great feature of the Kudoz. When I've exhausted ways of finding what a term means, it's a great relief to have other people help out with an opinion; even more so when among them are people I've come to trust. Other times I've been so tired that I can't think any more and then again I have found patient colleagues willing to rescue me!

Getting to know people, of course, including those with whom I have
... See more
Hi,

I agree with previous posters in that the "support network" is a great feature of the Kudoz. When I've exhausted ways of finding what a term means, it's a great relief to have other people help out with an opinion; even more so when among them are people I've come to trust. Other times I've been so tired that I can't think any more and then again I have found patient colleagues willing to rescue me!

Getting to know people, of course, including those with whom I have gone on to work. I would like to elaborate a little on what Jack has so rightly commented. This has two aspects:

- Sometimes I need a break and will take a look at what other colleagues are saying on the Kudoz and I enjoy their "company". I know some lovely people from the Kudoz, including colleagues in Montevideo and others who are very far away and I love to hear what they have to say. Oops, to see...

- Besides the proficient answerers, the Kudoz have allowed me to identify ATTITUDES. I've met some people whom I respect enormously because they are brilliant but also generous and whose wisdom is way above and beyond Kudoz points. From them I 've learnt not only terms, grammar, but also ways of relating to others and to the Kudoz themselves. I like to think of them as friends: thank you!

Also:

- I learn A LOT, ALL THE TIME, from questions asked and answered by others and so I am very very grateful to everybody who participates.

- I enjoy being able to suggest solutions and to share my limited knowledge of a few topics and my unlimited love of languages.

As I've commented before, Tomás, I sometimes wish we could continue our terminology discussions over a cup of coffee...but not with each of us having a cup of coffee or tea by our keyboards. ¡En el boliche de la esquina!

Muchos cariños para todos,

Lucía

That wasn't brief. Sorry!

[Edited at 2008-10-16 12:04]
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
English to Spanish
Research Oct 16, 2008

I love that most of the time it forces me to research in support of my answer, and the expanded knowledge I gain from that.

I also like the capability of deleting my answer when another colleague's is simply better, or just plain right.

I agree with Samuel and Jack; you get to know people, and who to trust as a professional.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I feel the same! Oct 16, 2008

Lucia Colombino wrote:
That wasn't brief. Sorry!

Naughty, naughty Lucía! Tsk, tsk....
Now, honest, I entirely agree with what you are saying. I must admit that I am probably not the humblest person in the world, and sometimes not the most patient or flexible one. I admit my many sins. But Kudoz definitely helped me improve in these aspects as I feel that the only way to really help here is being humble, patient and flexible!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding a response Oct 16, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:
I also like the capability of deleting my answer when another colleague's is simply better, or just plain right.

Absolutely! Askers get confused so many times that this is a must if we don't want our less-good (or plain clumsy) answers to be chosen! Thanks a lot for mentioning it!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Brainstorming Oct 16, 2008

Plus what others have already mentioned

Stéphanie

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Isn't this disapproved of, or even against Kudoz rules? Oct 16, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:

I've always thought this was at least objectionable, if not against kudoz rules (unless your answer is cleary way off the mark)?

Answers are valuable information for those who seek information, even if other answers seem to be better. IMO, we should not hide answers (unless they are really out of the question).

Maybe a moderator could comment on this issue?

Best regards,
Erik

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Web Term Search Oct 16, 2008

I just discovered the "web term" option which allows you to search Proz.com KudoZ and several on-line dictionaries/glossaries of your choice (such as Leo) at the same time.

[Edited at 2008-10-16 12:58]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: Features you love?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »