https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/118193-reasons_for_hiding_of_answers_also%3A_does_it_affect_your_answers_to_points_ratio.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Reasons for hiding of answers, also: does it affect your answers to points ratio?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:34
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

Dear colleagues and staff,

in a recent topic peers stated that they liked the possibility to hide their answers to kudoz questions on the basis that other answers were better.

I questioned this behaviour, as I think that all answers to a question are valuable information (with the possible exception of clearly silly answers, of course).

Another peer said that this behaviour could also be used to improve your given answers to earned points ratio by simply hi
... See more
Dear colleagues and staff,

in a recent topic peers stated that they liked the possibility to hide their answers to kudoz questions on the basis that other answers were better.

I questioned this behaviour, as I think that all answers to a question are valuable information (with the possible exception of clearly silly answers, of course).

Another peer said that this behaviour could also be used to improve your given answers to earned points ratio by simply hiding answers that have not been chosen.

I would be interested in peers' thoughts and especially in some official statements on these two questions:

1. What is an acceptable reason to hide one's answer?
2. Does hiding of answers affect your answers to points ratio?

Best regards,
Erik
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:34
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
On hiding answers Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:

Hi Erik,

Answerers are free to hide their answers, it is not against the rules.

Hidden answers are also counted, so the answers to points ratio is not affected

Also hiding an answer and proposing another one is considered "multiple answers" in the context of rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.3#3.3 (hidden answers are visible to mods and staff).

Also if the ratio of hidden to total answers for a given answerer exceeds a threshold, the hidden answers will be shown as such (not the content but the text "answer hidden by answerer") in the user's KudoZ statistics.

Regards,
Enrique

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 16, 2008

Dear Enrique,

Thank you for your quick response! Your answer is quite exactly what I hoped it to be!

Kind regards,
Erik

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:34
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
to replace it with a better answer Oct 16, 2008

Haven't been particularly active on Kudoz lately, but I remember being grateful for the ability to hide my answer when I replied too quickly and later on realised that there were better options. It gave me a clean slate to submit my second answer. Also if my answer looked rather silly in hindsight and I felt embarrassed by it. Thirdly, if I noticed after submitting my answer, that someone else gave exactly the same answer a couple of minutes before me, while I was still expounding on mine, bec... See more
Haven't been particularly active on Kudoz lately, but I remember being grateful for the ability to hide my answer when I replied too quickly and later on realised that there were better options. It gave me a clean slate to submit my second answer. Also if my answer looked rather silly in hindsight and I felt embarrassed by it. Thirdly, if I noticed after submitting my answer, that someone else gave exactly the same answer a couple of minutes before me, while I was still expounding on mine, because the first (of two identical answers) clearly deserves to get the marks.Collapse

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Has there been some change then? Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for your explanation, Enrique. Has there been some change then? I got the impression that hidden answers were NOT counted from Jared's answer in this thread: http://eng.proz.com/forum/kudoz/98815-are_deleted_answers_counted_in_the_total_questions_answered.html

Regards,
Andrea

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Features announced on July 22 Oct 16, 2008

Andrea Jarmuschewski wrote:

Has there been some change then?

Thanks for your explanation, Enrique. Has there been some change then? I got the impression that hidden answers were NOT counted from Jared's answer in this thread: http://eng.proz.com/forum/kudoz/98815-are_deleted_answers_counted_in_the_total_questions_answered.html

Regards,
Andrea

Hi Andrea, please have a look at Jared's announcement made on July 22.

Regards,
Enrique

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
Quite exactly? Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:

Dear Enrique,

Thank you for your quick response! Your answer is quite exactly what I hoped it to be!

Kind regards,
Erik

---------------------
Sorry, Erik, but you said it was "objectionable", if not against Kudoz rules, and even asked if "disapproved". http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/118133-kudoz:_features_you_love.html

Not that I often do it (never crossed the threshold) but, Enrique having cleared the matter, I will continue hiding my answers whenever I feel they are wrong or inappropriate.

[Edited at 2008-10-16 15:43]

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
Quite exactly? Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:

Dear Enrique,

Kind regards,
Erik

---------------------
Sorry, Erik, but you said it was "objectionable", if not against Kudoz rules, and even asked if "disapproved". http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/118133-kudoz:_features_you_love.html

Not that I often do it but, Enrique having cleared the matter, I will continue hiding my answers whenever I feel they are wrong or inappropriate.

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Thanks Enrique! Oct 16, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Andrea Jarmuschewski wrote:

Has there been some change then?

Regards,
Andrea

Hi Andrea, please have a look at Jared's announcement made on July 22.

Regards,
Enrique

I missed this announcement, thank you Enrique! That is a very valuable improvement.

Regards,
Andrea

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As long as it doesn't affect the statistics: ok. Also: a matter of etiquette. Oct 16, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Not that I often do it (never crossed the threshold) but, Enrique having cleared the matter, I will continue hiding my answers whenever I feel they are wrong or inappropriate.

[Edited at 2008-10-16 15:43]

Dear Luisa,

Sorry, I didn't express myself clear enough. As long as it doesn't affect the statistics, I'm fine with hiding answers, though I still think that it should not be done if the answer hidden is a valuable contribution as such, which, and I here I agree with you, can probably be left to the discretion of the answerer.

That said, I still think it is in some way a question of etiquette not to remove an answer to avoid visible disagrees (always with the exception of clearly "silly" answers).

Kind regards,
Erik

PS.: I saw that I even participated in the thread announcing the change of policy. I need a memory upgrade...

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
I do not avoid disagrees Oct 16, 2008

[quote]efreitag wrote:

Erik wrote:

That said, I still think it is in some way a question of etiquette not to remove an answer to avoid visible disagrees ...

Kind regards,
Erik

This never crossed my mind and I resent you mentioning in association with my opinion and actions.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hiding is the answerer's right... Oct 16, 2008

...the same way it is the answerer's right to post an answer. If at a certain moment the answerer suggests something that proves to be wrong as new context information comes from the asker... it is the answerer's right to hide the answer the same way it was his/her right to post an answer...

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a general observation, didn't mean to offend! Oct 16, 2008

[quote]Luisa Ramos wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Erik wrote:

That said, I still think it is in some way a question of etiquette not to remove an answer to avoid visible disagrees ...

Kind regards,
Erik

This never crossed my mind and I resent you mentioning in association with my opinion and actions.

I didn't mean to offend you, and I do believe that you acted in good faith! I just wanted to say that it might be considered this way. Obviously, others disagree with me here.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-16 16:45]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Reasons for hiding Oct 16, 2008

As already stated here, I think it's acceptable to hide an answer if you answered in haste and then realized your answer was wrong.

Also, I have occasionally hidden an answer when I made a typo in the term, since there's no way to edit it.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hiding an answer should be made impossible under certain conditions Oct 16, 2008

You should not be allowed to hide an answer

a) after you got any peer comment (most probably one or more disagrees, otherwise you would not want to hide it, would you?)
b) when the question is closed. In this case, there isn't really any reason to hide it other than to increase your reliability ratio, even if this doesn't count at all for this site - only points do, no matter how many answers it took you to reach them.

Just my opinion.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reasons for hiding of answers, also: does it affect your answers to points ratio?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »