Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Dec 18, 2008

Dear all,

is there any possibility to opt-out of GBK type questions altogether? I fail to see the point and don't want to be bothered with the corresponding notifications. Today, I even received a reminder that a particular question is still open (the reason might be that the question is quite simple and has been answered by non-"P" colleagues in the discussion area, as they aren't allowed to post proper answers. Anyone who was going to post an answer now would look like trying to g
... See more
Dear all,

is there any possibility to opt-out of GBK type questions altogether? I fail to see the point and don't want to be bothered with the corresponding notifications. Today, I even received a reminder that a particular question is still open (the reason might be that the question is quite simple and has been answered by non-"P" colleagues in the discussion area, as they aren't allowed to post proper answers. Anyone who was going to post an answer now would look like trying to grab some easy points...).

So, can we please have the possibility to switch of GBK notifications separately? If it already exists, I'd be grateful about a hint where to find it.

Thanks,
Erik
Collapse

Antoinette Verburg
Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, you can switch off GBK notifications separately Dec 18, 2008

Hi Erik,

Simply go to your Profile > Settings > Kudoz dashboard > General preferences.
Uncheck 'Glossary building questions'.
Save settings.

Hope this helps.

Antoinette

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
KudoZ dashboard Dec 18, 2008

Hi Erik

If you don't want to receive notifications about GBK questions, you should simply check the option "Ignore glossary-building questions " and click on "Save settings" in the KudoZ dashboard.

Regards,
Enrique

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no such option in my dashboard Dec 18, 2008

Dear Antoinette and Enrique,

Thank you, but: That's exactly what I was looking for, and I had checked the dashboard. However, this very option does not appear in my Kudoz dashboard. Enrique, where your screenshot shows three options, I can see only two. To make it clear: the part next to "question types" looks exactly the same on my screen, except for the fact that the last option ("Ignore glossary-building questions") does not exist.

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.19, if that
... See more
Dear Antoinette and Enrique,

Thank you, but: That's exactly what I was looking for, and I had checked the dashboard. However, this very option does not appear in my Kudoz dashboard. Enrique, where your screenshot shows three options, I can see only two. To make it clear: the part next to "question types" looks exactly the same on my screen, except for the fact that the last option ("Ignore glossary-building questions") does not exist.

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.19, if that's of any significance.

Best regards,
Erik

Edit: I've made a screenshot, but I don't know how to post it here. If a screenshot helps, please advise about the procedure...

[Edited at 2008-12-18 21:26 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:22
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Uhm. Confusion? Dec 18, 2008

efreitag wrote:

the question is quite simple and has been answered by non-"P" colleagues in the discussion area, as they aren't allowed to post proper answers.

efreitag, those questions can only be answered by colleagues who have this particular field of expertise listed as a specialty in their profile pages. Otherwise the answer fields won't display.

I have never applied for the P-thing, BTW. I have been too busy lately.

To assume that GBK questions are for members with the P-thing only, is a misconception.

Now I feel like an amateur and awfully non-pro and I am going to cry a little bit

Greetings!

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Nicole Dec 18, 2008

Dear Nicole,

you're right, seems I've mixed something up here. I was thinking the colleagues referred to the "P" when they said they were not allowed to post an answer, while in fact their fields of specialization didn't match. I didn't want to question the colleagues who posted there, I'm sure they're qualified to answer the question anyway, but that's a different story. In no way did I mean to sound snotty... I know about the limitations of the so-called "credential", and I know y
... See more
Dear Nicole,

you're right, seems I've mixed something up here. I was thinking the colleagues referred to the "P" when they said they were not allowed to post an answer, while in fact their fields of specialization didn't match. I didn't want to question the colleagues who posted there, I'm sure they're qualified to answer the question anyway, but that's a different story. In no way did I mean to sound snotty... I know about the limitations of the so-called "credential", and I know you and those colleagues are pros for sure...

But all that's a little off-topic here... Thanks for enlightening me about my misconception!

Best regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2008-12-18 21:41 GMT]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
No option to opt out here... Dec 18, 2008

efreitag wrote:
...Enrique, where your screenshot shows three options, I can see only two. To make it clear: the part next to "question types" looks exactly the same on my screen, except for the fact that the last option ("Ignore glossary-building questions") does not exist.

I have only 2 options too.

() Ignore questions from homework or test translations
() Ignore questions that may offend

In my KudoZ dashboard there is no options to opt out from GBK questions.

Thank you
Gianfranco

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You are right, there is a bug Dec 18, 2008

Thanks Erik for your comment and for sending the screenshoot, and to GF for his corroboration.

While I can see the option, I logged in with a test profile could see the same as Erik sent me. This is a bug, I am submitting a support request, this should be solved tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Enrique

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 18, 2008

Dear Enrique,

Thanks for your quick response!

Best regards,
Erik

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I understood "railway station" alright Dec 18, 2008

but the rest escaped me. However, Enrique put me at ease:"it's just a bug".

Vito

PS: for those unversed in German everyday language: you say "I understood Bahnhof (railway station)" when you are utterly to completely confused.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The problem should be solved now Dec 19, 2008

The problem should be solved now. I apologize for the inconveniences.

Thanks again for your feedback ans support.

Regards,
Enrique

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Dec 19, 2008

Dear Enrique,

Yes, now it works. Thanks!

Best regards,
Erik

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Ich verstand Bahnhof :-) Dec 19, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
I understood "railway station" alright

but the rest escaped me. However, Enrique put me at ease:"it's just a bug".

Vito

PS: for those unversed in German everyday language: you say "I understood Bahnhof (railway station)" when you are utterly to completely confused.

Hi Vito,

Erik wanted to stop receiving notifications corresponding to glossary-building KudoZ question.

The procedure is simple but, because of a bug, the corresponding option was not visible to all site users. This has been solved now.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opt-out of GBK type questions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »