Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Should the "clarification" and the "discussion" areas be merged?
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Mar 6, 2009

Dear members,

When the discussions area was added to KudoZ question, it was argued that it could be integrated with the renamed "clarification" area (formerly ask the asker box). There were arguments for and against the independence of both boxes. At that time it was decided to start by implementing both and let the community get used to them, and then re-evaluate the issue.

This has been discussed in some threads, most
... See more
Dear members,

When the discussions area was added to KudoZ question, it was argued that it could be integrated with the renamed "clarification" area (formerly ask the asker box). There were arguments for and against the independence of both boxes. At that time it was decided to start by implementing both and let the community get used to them, and then re-evaluate the issue.

This has been discussed in some threads, most recently at http://www.proz.com/topic/129349 and I would like to ask for your comments on the question:

Should the "clarification" and the "discussion" areas of KudoZ be independent features, or should they be merged?

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree! Mar 6, 2009

YES!

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Merge Mar 6, 2009

Merge them

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Mar 6, 2009

Please merge them.

Cheers,
Gerard

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, absolutely! Mar 6, 2009

As I've already said on different other occasions: Yes, they shoud absolutely be merged!

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Should be Merged and extended Mar 6, 2009

And also I can not understand the purpose putting some kind of rules such as:
- This kind of message should be posted here, other kind should be written here etc.

If there is a question that means the asker needs it to be clarified.
Discussion is also a kind of clarification.

To my opinion: function of the clarification section should be extended much more and should include questions (to or from the asker), discussions, descriptions, helps and even chattin
... See more
And also I can not understand the purpose putting some kind of rules such as:
- This kind of message should be posted here, other kind should be written here etc.

If there is a question that means the asker needs it to be clarified.
Discussion is also a kind of clarification.

To my opinion: function of the clarification section should be extended much more and should include questions (to or from the asker), discussions, descriptions, helps and even chatting (about the question of course)

So I recommend not only merging them but also extending its functions.

Best Regards,

M. Ali
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
merged Mar 6, 2009

So that the chronological order of entries is respected
So that you get only one - and not two different - discussions.

Stéphanie

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, please do! Mar 6, 2009

It appears so far that those who wanted this separation must have been in a minority.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Arguments for merging, please Mar 6, 2009

I would appreciate if proponents of merging could post some arguments.
I am in favor of keeping them separated, for reasons posted here; basically, because this separation can save time to the reader and the contributions are better structured -- provided the system is used as it is meant to be used.
What are the arguments for merging them?
Attila

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:21
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, but in the current space of the "Discussion", not in the "Request clarification" Mar 6, 2009

I think it would be OK to merge these two functions, as long as the merged area is NOT at the current place of the "Request clarification" area, which is part of the Question block. It would be very difficult to read the question and the answers if a long field inside the Question block would occupy the screen.

Also, it would be useful to display "Asker" or similar after the name /nick of the Asker when he/she posts a message in the new area. This would be similar to the new forum f
... See more
I think it would be OK to merge these two functions, as long as the merged area is NOT at the current place of the "Request clarification" area, which is part of the Question block. It would be very difficult to read the question and the answers if a long field inside the Question block would occupy the screen.

Also, it would be useful to display "Asker" or similar after the name /nick of the Asker when he/she posts a message in the new area. This would be similar to the new forum feature where the Thread starter has that noted next to his/her name.

I would like to also propose a function where the Asker (only the asker) could add more context to the Question, somewhat similar to the "Add note" function in the Answers. That would help with keeping Context clarifications on top of the page, along with the original question. I think this is what Attila meant, and I agree with it, especially for the sake of those that read the KudoZ Glossary after the question is closed. They would see the question, and the additional info the asker provided, without having to dig through a lengthy discussion.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 15:26 GMT]
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
English to Slovak
+ ...
Yes, please Mar 6, 2009

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Arguments Mar 6, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

I would appreciate if proponents of merging could post some arguments.
I am in favor of keeping them separated, for reasons posted here; basically, because this separation can save time to the reader and the contributions are better structured -- provided the system is used as it is meant to be used.
Attila

Dear Attila,

For me, separation does not save time, but costs extra time: Usually there is one discussion going on, but the arguments are spread over sometimes 6(!) different places (Ask the asker, discussion, request clarification, peer comment boxes (agree/disagree) and the corresponding replies, references, and addition to answers). I realize that this does only happen when contributers don't use the different sections properly, but that's the reality (at least in my perception).

I see Kudoz discussions just like a normal discussion, where contributors just exchange their points one after the other, and I'd like to follow this discussion in a chronological way. By taking the recent changes back, said 6 places can at least be reduced to 3, and these are grouped in a sensible way.

Imho, the only valuable addition was the reference section: Here posters could add information without having to post an answer (hence making posting "not for points" unnecessary).

Stéphanie Soudais
France
English to French
argument Mar 6, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

I have already exposed my arguments. For me, there is no point to ask an asker for clarification, get their answers, reply again and then suddenly have to carry on this discussion in another box. It becomes too complicated to follow each one's arguments

[Edited at 2009-03-06 15:26 GMT]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Please merge them Mar 6, 2009

In a separate box, as mentionned by Katalin.

Stéphanie Soudais
France
English to French
.. Mar 6, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I think it would be OK to merge these two functions, as long as the merged area is NOT at the current place of the "Request clarification" area, which is part of the Question block.

Agree

I would like to also propose a function where the Asker (only the asker) could add more context to the Question, somewhat similar to the "Add note" function in the Answers.

I am not against, but it means that asker's answers would not follow their respective questions. And if there are several questions (hence several answers) it becomes hard to know which answer goes with which question (same problem with kudoz Answers: sometimes it is difficult to know which note added by the answerer is a reply to a "note to the answerer" written by the asker).

[Edited at 2009-03-06 15:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the "clarification" and the "discussion" areas be merged?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »