Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
bemused Mar 29, 2009

Henry D wrote:

polyglot45 wrote:
Why are you always in such a hurry?
Or do you prefer to stop while you're still ahead?

In general, polyglot45, we ask people to stick to the topic at hand, and to the substance of a given post, and not divert the focus of discussion to the person of a poster. (To put it differently, ad hominem commentary is discouraged here.) This helps to keep the tone constructive in the forums. I would appreciate your cooperation in this respect going forward.

This is ON TOPIC and I cannot (at least objectively) think of a reason why you should think otherwise. I am genuinely concerned about the haste with which this 'survey' has been conducted and the smallness of the not necessarily representative sample. Surely I have the right to say so?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:02
SITE FOUNDER
Sure, polyglot45 Mar 29, 2009

polyglot45 wrote:
Henry D wrote:
polyglot45 wrote:
Why are you always in such a hurry?
Or do you prefer to stop while you're still ahead?

In general, polyglot45, we ask people to stick to the topic at hand, and to the substance of a given post, and not divert the focus of discussion to the person of a poster. (To put it differently, ad hominem commentary is discouraged here.) This helps to keep the tone constructive in the forums. I would appreciate your cooperation in this respect going forward.

This is ON TOPIC and I cannot (at least objectively) think of a reason why you should think otherwise.

I didn't say I found it to be off topic.
I am genuinely concerned about the haste with which this 'survey' has been conducted and the smallness of the not necessarily representative sample. Surely I have the right to say so?

Sure. What I ask is that you not turn things personal.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
Apologies but unavoidable Mar 29, 2009

With all due respect, Henry, YOU said that you had closed the survey and I think you acted too fast. I am also dismayed by the speed at which some measures are enforced and the lack of discussion beforehand. On the "flagging" issue, I had no opinion but I can see from comments made that other people have major concerns, included possible infringement of the legal right to privacy, as it exists in some countries. That worries me.
For the rest, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.
... See more
With all due respect, Henry, YOU said that you had closed the survey and I think you acted too fast. I am also dismayed by the speed at which some measures are enforced and the lack of discussion beforehand. On the "flagging" issue, I had no opinion but I can see from comments made that other people have major concerns, included possible infringement of the legal right to privacy, as it exists in some countries. That worries me.
For the rest, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.
This will probably be censured but.....
Collapse

Mirra_
Mirra_
Italy
Local time: 03:02
English to Italian
+ ...
completely agreeing with polyglot45 ... Mar 29, 2009

... I would like to post here my opinion (I am in late as - many many others - I knew about this flagging just recently and just *by chance* !)

also this is the only place left in which I can express my opinion, since the "survey" has been so swiftly (how many HOURS did it last?)closed

so

First choice: #2
Also acceptable: #1, #3
Not acceptable: #4

*** and plenty of respectful and since
... See more
... I would like to post here my opinion (I am in late as - many many others - I knew about this flagging just recently and just *by chance* !)

also this is the only place left in which I can express my opinion, since the "survey" has been so swiftly (how many HOURS did it last?)closed

so

First choice: #2
Also acceptable: #1, #3
Not acceptable: #4

*** and plenty of respectful and sincere thanks to Attila that has had this wonderful idea (and the great energy) of opening this thread ***

kind regards
Mirra
(some KudoZ points, but I guess that committment, will to collaborate/help, and passion for words count more than just grabbing points at any cost!)

[Edited at 2009-03-29 16:57 GMT]

Ps.ah forgot: I am on strike too!! (also, not mainly, because I guess I already suffered the noxious side effects of this kind of flagging, i.e. the 'hostile tracking' ...)

[Edited at 2009-03-29 20:11 GMT]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
37 opinions so far Mar 29, 2009

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Survey results Mar 30, 2009

Here are the survey results.

See more
Here are the survey results.

Notes:

* The results of question 8 are skewed; the fourth option was added midway. In other words, it can be expected that the percentage who would select the fourth option is even higher than what is shown.

* The survey began with fewer questions; the latter questions were added while the survey was underway. This is part of the reason why there are fewer responses.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Opting-in Mar 30, 2009

I answered the survey before the opt-in question was added - I would certainly have chosen this rather than the opt-out option (in fact I added a comment to this effect).

Ina Glörfeld Salzano
Ina Glörfeld Salzano
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Opting in - # 2 Mar 30, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

personally, I think that any option ought to be structured as an opt in option.

There are many features and options I am not interested in or don't need to have, but we are all so different, have different needs according to our background culture, field we work in, working methodology etc., so I understand perfectly the concept of variety.

What I cannot agree with is that one has to ask for an opt-out option. I do not wish to be treated as a standard I do not belong to. I'd like to join (opt in) something according to my standards.

For the time being, I won't answer any KudoZ.

Giuliana

I agree with this

Sarah Jane Webb
Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Opt-in #2 Mar 30, 2009

I didn't answer the survey, as it was removed before I knew about it, but I'll go for opt-in.
Sarah

[Edited at 2009-03-30 11:10 GMT]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I missed the survey, but FWIW I prefer #1... Mar 30, 2009

I prefer #1

Also acceptable are #2 and #2

Regarding opt-in or opt-out, I would strongly prefer opt-IN

I would disagree with #4

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Decision Mar 30, 2009

We've discussed things among the team and here is what we have decided:

Answerer flagging will be possible, but henceforth explicit answerer permission will be required. (To put things in Attila's terms, we're going with option 2, or the "opt in" approach. This was the approach the majority of survey respondents agreed with in question 10.) Furthermore, the site names of those tracking will be made available to answerers.

You may notice that we did not go with Attila's option 1, ie. scrapping the feature entirely (which happens to have been the option selected most frequently by those replying to this forum topic.) Here, we have exercised our judgment as site administrators. Our feeling is that it is possible to retain the feature while fully addressing the concerns that have been raised.

The feature will be turned off pending the modifications. (Give us a day to turn it off - it is end of day here now.) The development work should be done within a week, at which point the feature will be reinstated.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 30, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Answerer flagging will be possible, but henceforth explicit answerer permission will be required. (To put things in Attila's terms, we're going with option 2, or the "opt in" approach. This was the approach the majority of survey respondents agreed with in question 10.) Furthermore, the site names of those tracking will be made available to answerers.

My preference was and still is option 1.
Ok, let us give option 2 a try!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
That sounds fine Mar 31, 2009

An opt-in feature plus awareness of exactly who is flagging you seems to address the concerns perfectly.

Just one thing though - as has been pointed out, the flagging of kudoz askers has been possible for quite a while. But does this not raise the same issues WRT privacy? Would it not make sense to apply the same conditions to that too?
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 31, 2009

Thanks to everybody who participated.

I would add just one piece of information to Vito's diagram, which summarized the opinions in a very clear way. The total number of Pro-level KudoZ points of those who participated is over 130,000. Since the total number of KudoZ questions -- easy and pro combined -- stands at 2,163,662 now, I would put the total number of Pro-level KudoZ points ever given somewhere between 6 and 6.5 million (precise input by staff would be appreciated), of whi
... See more
Thanks to everybody who participated.

I would add just one piece of information to Vito's diagram, which summarized the opinions in a very clear way. The total number of Pro-level KudoZ points of those who participated is over 130,000. Since the total number of KudoZ questions -- easy and pro combined -- stands at 2,163,662 now, I would put the total number of Pro-level KudoZ points ever given somewhere between 6 and 6.5 million (precise input by staff would be appreciated), of which about 2% had gone to those who expressed their opinion here.

Thanks to Henry for putting this issue on the top of the agenda so quickly.

Attila
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Privacy and secrecy Mar 31, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

An opt-in feature plus awareness of exactly who is flagging you seems to address the concerns perfectly.

Just one thing though - as has been pointed out, the flagging of kudoz askers has been possible for quite a while. But does this not raise the same issues WRT privacy? Would it not make sense to apply the same conditions to that too?
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

Henry's solution, with the crucial opt-in feature, sounds fair to me, too. Actually, it looks pretty much like a sort of "translators' Twitter". Rivalry might even develop over who has the most followers, sorry "trackers"

I don't see any problems with a flagging option for askers or answerers, either, provided everybody knows who is doing what to whom. Some people may have been confusing privacy with secrecy (non-disclosure of the tracker's actions to the trackee), which jeopardises the asker/answerer's legitimate expectation to be informed.

Giles

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »