Mobile menu

Question to KudoZ leaders: How do you do it?
Thread poster: Pablo Cañamares

Pablo Cañamares  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:38
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2003

Ehm... for a little off topic question:

Some people here... Oso, Henry Hinds (which have helped me more than once)... how can they have such incredibly HUGE kudoz ?

I mean... guys, you spend the whole day online? do you have implants in your head and are online in proz, while performing other jobs? How can you?

Share the secret with us !

Disclaimer: do NOT dare to think that I am trying to insinuate any kind of cheat, that is not the point and I do NOT think so.
I am just surprised

Direct link Reply with quote

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 02:38
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
I have asked me the same question Aug 26, 2003

When I try to help somebody in my language pairs, it is generally because I have already encountered the expression or words, BUT it does not give me immediately a reference and a good explanation. SO I search and it takes me a considerable time before being able to give a constructive answer.

To earn my living, I have to work at least 10 hours/ day, sometimes more (rush) sometimes less (leisure or rest), but I cannot find time enough to try to answer all the questions. Even if those Kudoz champions have a great knowledge, how do they do to be so prompt to find a context.

I do not want to claim at all because I am not in the Kudoz search but I am ....jealous about the way some people seem to be able to do so many things at the same time.

Please let us benefit from your secrets!!!!

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Druidcraft Aug 26, 2003

That's it, I'm sure. These Gauls either have concocted a magic potion or felt into the brainsoup cauldron when they were studying Translation 101, so no wonder they''ve been kicking our butts big time for four years now as if we were any legion of Roman conscripts. Warning: it's safer to watch from the sidelines...
And, please, that one over there, stop playing the damn harp or I'll make you eat a menhir...
Ave Traduttori
Paulus Perezosus

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
From a sideliner Aug 26, 2003

I'm on-line throughout the working day (when I work). Connected by ADSL 24/7, if need be (but prefer no need). I use several websites as worksites, depending on the topic at hand, which are grouped into "Favorites" folders (Train/transport favorites, IT favorites, Public Works, Law and Jurisprudence, Environment, etc.).

It used to be more often before that I needed ProZ for terms help, but I STILL keep needing it as a tool -- for the glossaries. So you may see the (P) icon on my profile as green many times, even though I'm not answering questions. When I DO answer questions these days, I probably have a question posted myself and am still waiting for a suitable response...

But since everything these days, including moderator tools, are a click of the mouse away, it's so much easier to surf while working and work at ProZ while translating. Perhaps no one else appreciates the site development area more than we do... even when we're not answering questions or writing in the forums.

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have it on good source... Aug 26, 2003

Oso, being Polar and all, hibernates a good part of the year, which gives him plenty of time to mess around with the computer.

As for Mr. Hinds, all he has to do is stroll down to the "frontera" and ask a local on the other side.

Right, guys?

Myself, I do not wonder, I just admire

Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
My hypothesis about Oso Aug 26, 2003

Susana Galilea wrote:

Oso, being Polar and all, hibernates a good part of the year, which gives him plenty of time to mess around with the computer.

Well, according to my records, Oso's latest hibernation falls back to the early sixties... right now I fear (hope) there will be no winter stop and we'll keep on seeing his answers and comments everywhere...

You know, IMO, Oso's faster cause he's got 4 legs & 4 hands, which gives him double ability to answer and, eventually, twice the points he'd have achieved if he had been born a human translator!

Rb

xxxOso
Spanish
+ ...
me know nothing ¶;^) Aug 27, 2003

Well, according to my records, Oso's latest hibernation falls back to the early sixties... right now I fear (hope) there will be no winter stop and we'll keep on seeing his answers and comments everywhere...

You know, IMO, Oso's faster cause he's got 4 legs & 4 hands, which gives him double ability to answer and, eventually, twice the points he'd have achieved if he had been born a human translator!
Rb

Oso ¶:^)

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Confessions of a leader.... Aug 27, 2003

Okay, so I'm up there in the German-English top ten and here's how I do it....

I'm online all day anyway (for e-mails and Internet research), so I always have the Proz site open in a separate window (also to be able to search the glossaries).

When I get stuck in a sentence I flip over to Proz to search the glossaries, but check the latest Kudoz first. Sometimes a little Kudoz distraction is all I need to get my head around my difficult sentence.

How do I know the terms I answer? A translator once told me that the secret to his success was to have a mind like a (well-organized) rubbish dump. And I guess that's what my mind must be like. Hear a term once and it stays in there. And if it doesn't, then I know where to find it.

Knowing how to research terminology properly (both online and in professional literature) is another great asset.

Best,

Alison

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Right on, Alison! Aug 27, 2003

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Okay, so I'm up there in the German-English top ten and here's how I do it....

Should I add "me too" ?

I'm online all day anyway (for e-mails and Internet research), so I always have the Proz site open in a separate window (also to be able to search the glossaries).

Same here, ProZ has become one of my sites to visit first to search terms online - just in case all offline sources remain silent.

When I get stuck in a sentence I flip over to Proz to search the glossaries, but check the latest Kudoz first. Sometimes a little Kudoz distraction is all I need to get my head around my difficult sentence.

It's not only about distraction but also a boost of creativity for one's mind. What I mean is that, while browsing KudoZ for some minutes, you can easily digest what others have written, and extract new ideas out of it. A great tool to instigate lateral thinking...

How do I know the terms I answer? A translator once told me that the secret to his success was to have a mind like a (well-organized) rubbish dump. And I guess that's what my mind must be like. Hear a term once and it stays in there. And if it doesn't, then I know where to find it.

Yes, my mind must be populated with all sorts of terms I'll never forget again. God only knows how the human brain retrieval feature works in order to bring up words in no time.

Knowing how to research terminology properly (both online and in professional literature) is another great asset.

This involves having at least a rough idea what target term to look for on the Web (or elsewhere), which - in the best of cases - gradually leads you to the term exactly matching your context. A great degree of judgment must be used in order to decide whether sources are at all relevant to your specific context, all the more so in an online environment. In addition, when performing online searches, e.g. using Google, associative thinking is an asset as it may result in entering the right combination of terms that would yield hits of high relevance.

Also, I might add a - possibly very subjective - opinion: In most cases, I happen to answer KudoZ fairly quickly so I'm tempted to think that terms or phrases spring to mind more promptly because of my interpreter background as I'd be forced to come up with an immediate yet sufficiently precise target rendition in a simultaneous interpreting environment.
Anyone out here got the same impression?

Best regards,
Steffen

[Edited at 2003-08-27 14:59]

Borana Moisiu
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
I do admire them... Aug 27, 2003

I do admire the KudoZ leaders. Let me confess, I am getting adicted already to KudoZ and I have only been here for less than one month. But I am not able to be on the internet all the time, since it is very expensive for me in Albania. But this system is great and I am learning too. Thank you to the members who answer and also to those who ask since because of them we are all learning. Keep it up everybody.
Borana

Pablo Cañamares wrote:

Ehm... for a little off topic question:

Some people here... Oso, Henry Hinds (which have helped me more than once)... how can they have such incredibly HUGE kudoz ?

I mean... guys, you spend the whole day online? do you have implants in your head and are online in proz, while performing other jobs? How can you?

Share the secret with us !

Disclaimer: do NOT dare to think that I am trying to insinuate any kind of cheat, that is not the point and I do NOT think so.
I am just surprised

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
There is no secret..., really Aug 27, 2003

I guess I can be called a KudoZ leader in my sub community, even though I do not have as many points (not even close) comparing to those who make it to the first page

Anyway, there is no secret here. I am online almost 24/7. I work as a full time translator and more than often I have more work than I would like to do at times. As a consequence, I am in front of my computer a lot. I have a high speed internet connection as well. I receive KudoZ notification the moment that they are sent. I also have some great Electronic and Online Dictionaries, so I am thankful for this wonderful resource tool that I have. But wait, there is one secret with me.... Shshshssss... For most of the questions, I do not even need to check with any of my dictionaries, since they are really easy. Most of the people who ask KudoZ in my sub community, want to impress their lovers by saying "I love you," etc. in Albanian.
But really, I have enjoyed this KudoZ game. I do not call it "bothering" at all to answer the questions, since it is a break from work and I enjoy it. Sometimes we do get challenging questions as well, and the discussions are always interesting. It is really interesting and a very learning experience to see how different people grasp and express differently the meaning of the same term. I find this amazing and I truly enjoy it.

My 2 qindarka
Monika

[Edited at 2003-08-28 05:35]

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

It's simple (not easy) Nov 23, 2003

1. You start in July 2000.
2. As often as you go to ProZ.com, you go to new stimulating KudoZ questions.
3. Participate in many language pairs (I have KudoZ points in 47 pairs).
4. Get up at 4 and you'll be alone with the question for some hours (Saturdays, Sundays and evenings is also good hunting time).
5. Invest in good dictionaries (has a profitable spinoff on your translations)
6. Learn how to navigate on the Internet, especially in the Google world (has a profitable spinoff on your translations).
7. Be friendly to your colleagues and you'll have pleasant breaks when you find translating tedious.
8. Realise that KudoZ is a very good hotbed for improving as a translator.

BR

Mats J C Wiman, pointgrabber,
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : MatsWiman@tele2.se
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question to KudoZ leaders: How do you do it?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs