Kudoz: asker's name displayed on home page and Kudoz page
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sep 10, 2003

This would alert many more members if an abuse of the system is taking place. At the moment, you have to click on the question in order to see who's posted it. By seeing the name, Proz members could alert their moderators immediately (waking them up if they've fallen asleep...)

Giovanni

[Edited at 2003-09-10 10:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Seconded! Sep 10, 2003

It would also help to figure out which questions are related or relate to the same translation/text, and this would help the consistency and relevance of proposed answers.

I have happended to post an answer just to find out later, while browsing through older questions, that the same asker had already posed a similar (or related) question three hours (or the day) before and there had already been a full philological discussion about one of the terms/aspects featured in the new question. Had I known what had been previously said or agreed upon, my answer could have been better targeted (or spared all together!).

[Edited at 2003-09-10 10:26]

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Asker's History Sep 10, 2003

In the old version there was a feature called Asker's History (if I remember correctly), to achieve what Muja was talking about. I agree with her, it is a very useful feature, to check out about related questions and - ultimately - to prevent abuses.

Now there is a line on top, under the name of the asker: Number of Open questions, but it always shows "1". Is this something related to this discussion?

To summarize,
Yes to the name of the asker on the list
Yes to a link to all questions asked by the same asker on the question page

Have a nice day
Domenica

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
Italian to German
+ ...
But it has been argued in similar discussions Sep 10, 2003

that some of us do not post each question as soon as it arises but only when several of them have accumulated, and this seems also to be favored by KudoZNet as far as I know.
On such occasions then, moderators would receive dozens of mails asking to squash the poor (wo)man.
Moreover, if the askers' names are shown, some ProZians who are neither eager for KudoZ points nor ideal Christians/Muslims/Buddhists etc. might be tempted to read only questions from people they know.

[Edited at 2003-09-10 11:14]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use Expanded View Sep 10, 2003

Giovanni,
perhaps you could use the Expanded view, it is available on the question lists, just below the 5 tabs:

View: Expanded / Collapsed

You can see much more than just the asker names, you can read the questions, browse the list and enter only when you feel like answering, or perhaps when you are curious to know other colleagues' answers.

In any moment, the list can be collapsed to the default layout, with one line per question.

As regard to the home page, I think there is no sufficient space for the names, and the site considers more important the questions than the persons placing them.
We are, after all, not only answering to a collegue, but building a reference resource that may turn up useful in any time to many, including ourselves.

The Asker History is still not working and I vould like to see it back too.
There were also problems in the past, when it was working but not always reliably.

ciao
Gianfranco

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
And I'd add to Gianfranco's answer Sep 10, 2003

that in the e-mails for KudoZ there is the asker's name.

The asker's history is visible with the magnifying glass next to the name of the asker.

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks for the hint Sep 10, 2003

[shame]I never noticed the option[/shame]

Such a view would have probably spared me some public naiveties in the past...

Thanks

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

perhaps you could use the Expanded view, it is available on the question lists, just below the 5 tabs:

View: Expanded / Collapsed

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
lots of space... Sep 11, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

As regard to the home page, I think there is no sufficient space for the names, and the site considers more important the questions than the persons placing them.
We are, after all, not only answering to a collegue, but building a reference resource that may turn up useful in any time to many, including ourselves.

ciao
Gianfranco

GF,
there's lots of space for names on the home page... it's just very frustrating having to click on each question to find out who's posting them... I also don't help people who are clearly abusing the system and a very selected bunch of time wasters. I know that the name shows in the mails, but I have turned that function off....

G

[Edited at 2003-09-11 09:56]

[Edited at 2003-09-11 09:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: asker's name displayed on home page and Kudoz page

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs