Mobile menu

Member having trouble adding a note to a question
Thread poster: Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Nov 15, 2003

An English-Arabic ProZer has been trying to add a note to a question she has posted, but has not been unable to. She sent email to the support desk, but she has not received any response, so she communicated with me. When I checked her profile, I found out that she was a non-paying member. Is that the reason she is unable to add a note to her question? In other words, is this feature restricted to paying members only? Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:59
SITE FOUNDER
Not limited to paying members... Nov 15, 2003

... has anyone else had trouble?

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The problem might be the title Nov 15, 2003

I remember that when I first tried to add a note it didn't appeared. I found out that without a title they don't.

Kardi Kho  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:59
English to Indonesian
A bug in the new KudoZ design?! Nov 15, 2003

I have noticed that this only happens when you add the note using the new KudoZ design. Try switching to the old design and add your note there.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Title Nov 15, 2003

Why do we need that title anyway? I sometimes don't know what to put in there.

Trudy

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Well... Nov 15, 2003

Trudy Peters wrote:
I sometimes don't know what to put in there.

I ususally put "More context" or if it's a comment about a received answer, I write the word I'll talk about. But a single letter should be enough too.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
A title is no longer required Nov 15, 2003

I have changed things so that a title is no longer required. Does this resolve the problem?

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful Nov 15, 2003

I am sure removing this requirement is helpful, although having the option of a title is good also.

I don't think that the issue of the title is related to this particular case, though. I believe this asker was not able to even see the additional note box. It appears to be a case of browser security settings set too high, not allowing cookies to help identify the asker as the asker. I noticed, for example, that she was able to choose winning answers and award points, which, logically, she is able to do only when there is at least one answer. I figured that it was perhaps the link in the notification email that helps her log in as the asker, so I posted a dummy answer, and, sure enough, she was able to see the box and post an added note.

I don't know if that completely solves the mystery. I will keep looking into it.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exactly! Nov 15, 2003

Kardi Kho wrote:

I have noticed that this only happens when you add the note using the new KudoZ design. Try switching to the old design and add your note there.

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Still cannot ask the asker without reverting to old design... Nov 15, 2003

This problem has been mentioned numerous times, and it still persists for me. I cannot "ask the asker" unless I type it in the box, click to the old design, return tot the new and then click on "add". It takes time to get it to go through...Also, still can't track questions if the poster adds a comment. This function seems to have never worked.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I believe this was fixed yesterday. Still having the problem? Nov 15, 2003

Gayle Wallimann wrote:

This problem has been mentioned numerous times, and it still persists for me. I cannot "ask the asker" unless I type it in the box, click to the old design, return tot the new and then click on "add". It takes time to get it to go through...Also, still can't track questions if the poster adds a comment. This function seems to have never worked.

The ask asker function should work now. You will only get the tracking notice if the asker uses the new design to close the question.

Mueen Issa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
I agree with you Nov 15, 2003

Kardi Kho wrote:

I tried to add a note now as Fuad asked me to, but I could not. I reverted to the old design and it worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Member having trouble adding a note to a question

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs