Mobile menu

How to ask same language questions in KudoZ? (staff: 'ask monolingual question')
Thread poster: JoGunn
JoGunn
Local time: 23:10
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Dec 17, 2003

I recently needed an explanation in English of an English word. I found that I could not do this in KudoZ, so I ended up having to ask for an English to Icelandic translation. An English to English question would have gotten me more replies to choose from.

The question is: is it possible to allow same language questions in KudoZ, or should such questions be taken to the forums?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:10
English to German
+ ...
Ask a monolingual question Dec 17, 2003

Hi Jo,
This is possible - all you need to do is to select Monolingual from the second pulldown menu.

HTH, Ralf

JoGunn
Local time: 23:10
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 17, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Jo,
This is possible - all you need to do is to select Monolingual from the second pulldown menu.

HTH, Ralf

Thanks, Ralph - I didn't notice that (blush)

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 16:10
French to English
+ ...
Great option! Dec 17, 2003

This can really be helpful when you are not 100% sure of the meaning or would like to understand the various nuances of a phrase.

In the English monolingual section, we are lucky enough to have responders from Ireland, England, New Zealand, the U.S., and many other countries. Great for slang and regionalisms

J. Leo
Local time: 00:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
A great resource Dec 17, 2003

I agree with Rita. The various nuances are interesting. Recent forum discussions, both about the differing types of welcome answer (to dico or not to dico) and the personal animosity toward unwelcome bulk mail (ProZpam?), suggest you be as specific as possible with your request and include some context that offers more direction toward the most applicable answer, not at all to minimize the interesting suggestions that come in the ballpark of what you’re looking for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to ask same language questions in KudoZ? (staff: 'ask monolingual question')

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs