Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
To Tony: on hiding howlers hastily Jan 17, 2004

TonyTK wrote:

While we're on the subject, my pet peeve about the KudoZ bios is that it appears you can edit them to make yourself look better.

All you need to do is hide any brainless answers you might have posted in the past and they disappear from your history. IOW I could edit my past answers and leave just the good ones in (for the sake of argument, that is. I mean, hey - they're all brilliant). I just tried it out on my profile and it seems to work.

Tony,

I raised that subject a while ago publicly in this forum and privately among moderators, and was instantly shut down like a kamikaze pilot trying to meet his maker in a dive bomb. You can read the ancient lively discussion here.

Basically, the main opposition to this novelty - and necessity, methinks - is the noble (read irony here) effort to provide only the most impeccable answers, devoid of kinks and jinks. Let's say Joe Shmoe was hasty in answering, realizes his mistake when other, more correct, answers come pouring in, feels the guilt of perhaps misleading the asker (or wanting to keep his KudoZ record clean), instantly hides his answer and, Ohmigawd!, the stupid answer disappears.

It actually does not disappear totally since moderators can still see it.

And my answer to the oft-trumpeted reasoning above: if you don't want to mislead the asker, take your time to think, cobble up your references, make sure that "high confidence" reflects the true state of affairs, and ONLY THEN, answer the question. It is the mark of a point-grabber when a half-baked answer is given and hastily hidden once the leaks and cracks start to appear.

The KudoZ overhaul is in Henry's to-do list so we might or might not see this feature. This discussion will become timely if and when the reliability ratio comes into effect (which won't be soon I guess). Briefly, this ratio would reflect a given member's reliability in providing correct answers, with a very reliable answerer providing answers which get chosen most of the time having a ratio closer to 100 and the counterpart having a ratio closer to 0.

Now consider if hidden answers were not counted in this ratio. Everyone would have unassailable KudoZ profiles!

Lest you boys and girls start running back to your profiles and start deleting dem bad howlers, please know that hidden answers are still recorded, albeit hidden from view.

I may have inadvertently revealed one of the tricks to toot your trumpet, so to speak, but it's easy enough to un-hide what's been deliberately hidden.

I've been one of the more vocal instigators of this prohibition but have encountered only opposition. Glad to know there are others of the like-minded sort.

Forgive me, Henry, if I digressed from your thread above. Simply responding to what Tony brought up.

Tony, be sure to stay around once this subject is addressed and resolved.

Marcus

giogi
giogi
Local time: 21:17
My question is... Jan 17, 2004

[quote]Mirella Soffio wrote:

What purposes do you think this new function could serve? And will it be accessible to potential clients or just to ProZians?

Thanks

Mirella

[quote]

THE SAME...!!!
Thanks Henry
Giovanna

[Edited at 2004-01-17 08:46]

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Italian to German
to Marcus: Paul said Jan 17, 2004

we all make mistakes (even trying to be perfect) - you seem to affirm the contrary, or am I mistaken? ;o)

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Martin, excuse my garbled message ... Jan 17, 2004

to you on page 1 of this thread - no idea how that happened. All I wanted to say is that your suggestion is at least a step in the right direction.
Tony

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:17
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Histories are for members, colleagues and clients all Jan 17, 2004

[quote]Giovanna Rampone wrote:

[quote]Mirella Soffio wrote:
What purposes do you think this new function could serve? And will it be accessible to potential clients or just to ProZians?

THE SAME...!!!
Thanks Henry
Giovanna

The purpose of the histories is for members to have convenient access to the KudoZ questions they participated in, and also for clients and colleagues to have one more tool for evaluating potential collaborators. So yes, clients can see them.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
to Martin Jan 17, 2004

Martin Schmurr wrote:

we all make mistakes (even trying to be perfect) - you seem to affirm the contrary, or am I mistaken? ;o)

Yes, you're mistaken. Please reread. Better still, read the discussion in the link I provided.
M

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

open questions Jan 17, 2004

Henry wrote:
A KudoZ tab has been added to profile pages. This tab allows one to access one's own (or others') KudoZ histories, including questions asked and questions answered.

This is truly a fantastic feature, good job Henry & Team!

I spent a good half hour just browsing through my four pages... and I noticed very old questions still open, some from 2002! Is there a way to close these automatically, or by ProZ.com Staff?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You mean somebody else's questions? Jan 17, 2004

I once asked whether it was possible to close old questions and I was answered that it was not useful, that some day somebody could be interested by answering old questions.

I don't share this opinion because KudoZ' life is very short unless they go to the glossary, but these questions are harmless too.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 15:17
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
very neat Jan 18, 2004

Henry,
Another success - thank you.Very neatly done, looks awesome.

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
I see what you mean, Marcus ... Jan 18, 2004

"I raised that subject a while ago publicly in this forum and privately among moderators, and was instantly shut down like a kamikaze pilot trying to meet his maker in a dive bomb."

I read the thread with interest.

" ... if you don't want to mislead the asker, take your time to think, cobble up your references, make sure that "high confidence" reflects the true state of affairs, and ONLY THEN, answer the question."

Wouldn't that be great? I suppose one way
... See more
"I raised that subject a while ago publicly in this forum and privately among moderators, and was instantly shut down like a kamikaze pilot trying to meet his maker in a dive bomb."

I read the thread with interest.

" ... if you don't want to mislead the asker, take your time to think, cobble up your references, make sure that "high confidence" reflects the true state of affairs, and ONLY THEN, answer the question."

Wouldn't that be great? I suppose one way to do it would be to abolish the points system. Let's have plain old-fashioned kudos rather than new-fangled KudoZ.

"I've been one of the more vocal instigators of this prohibition but have encountered only opposition. Glad to know there are others of the like-minded sort."

There are a quite a few of us about, Marcus, including most of the invaders from the Flefo forum on CIS.

" Tony, be sure to stay around once this subject is addressed and resolved. "

Will do. I'm generally around when I'm not taking orders from my wife or watching daytime talkshows.

[Edited at 2004-01-18 21:25]
Collapse

giogi
giogi
Local time: 21:17
Thank you Henry... Jan 19, 2004

Henry wrote:

The purpose of the histories is for members to have convenient access to the KudoZ questions they participated in, and also for clients and colleagues to have one more tool for evaluating potential collaborators. So yes, clients can see them.

I understand thoroughly now!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Staff: KudoZ histories now available in profiles

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »