satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:15
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
Jan 19, 2004

Hello Every body,
I want to know about "Moderator", who is he and what are his duties, how will he work and execute his duties, does he work full time or part time, if yes where he will be and does he get any remuneration for this work, please any one who know this can give me the details about this subject.

Thanks in advance to all.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Some information to start Jan 19, 2004

satish itikela wrote:
I want to know about "Moderator", who is he and what are his duties, how will he work and execute his duties, does he work full time or part time, if yes where he will be and does he get any remuneration for this work, please any one who know this can give me the details about this subject.

Hi Satish,

the ProZ.com site is moderated by a number of volunteers, about 60 people.
We are members of the site who have been asked and have accepted to donate some of our spare time to help running the site as smoothly as possible.

We are not employees of the site, nor receive any monetary gratification or pay or special benefit in exchange for our contributions. If we are Platinum members we pay our fee, like any other Platinum member.

You can find a complete list of all moderators following the menu:
About .. ProZ.com Team .. Moderators
and there you will find all Moderators' names associated to their language pairs or forum.

Not all language pairs have a specific moderator, but the overall coverage is quite sufficient for any practical purpose.

All Forums have a specific 'named' moderator, but we act very closely as a 'team', consulting each other and discussing any issue that is out of the ordinary or different from the past cumulative experience.

We often work as a communication channel between the site staff and the site members, answering queries or transmitting problems and issues, we serve often as consultation body, suggesting, discussing and testing new features of the site before they are released, and some of us have several other accessory tasks.

I hope this answer most of your questions. You can find more information in the FAQ and other pages of the site. Please, explore them or feel free to ask again here for more details.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Moderator

[Edited at 2004-01-19 11:42]

satish krishna itikela
satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Thanks for your valuable information" Jan 19, 2004

Hello Gianfranco,
Thanks for your valuable information and spending your valuable time to give me the information, it is very nice from you to give such a vast information in such a small time, i appreciate your commitment nature.
Thanks once again.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Another query related to moderators Jan 19, 2004

Moderators are playing a very important role as they serve as a link between the site staff and site members.

Unfortunately, my language pair i.e. English-Hindi is not covered by a moderator. Could anyone guide me as to whom I should contact in case of any problem and issue concerning the same?

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Georgian to English
+ ...
Members working in language pairs which don't have a specific Kudos Moderator for that pair Jan 19, 2004

are just as welcome to contact the Moderators as any members. I appreciate that there isn't a contact button at the bottom of each Kudos question page at the moment (the way there is in lang.pairs that have a specific moderator) but that certainly DOESN'T mean that we don't care, or won't do what we can to help...).

On past precedent:
Over Kudos matters for an SC with no specific Mod.you may contact any of:
a kudos Mod for a language pair which includes one of the langua
... See more
are just as welcome to contact the Moderators as any members. I appreciate that there isn't a contact button at the bottom of each Kudos question page at the moment (the way there is in lang.pairs that have a specific moderator) but that certainly DOESN'T mean that we don't care, or won't do what we can to help...).

On past precedent:
Over Kudos matters for an SC with no specific Mod.you may contact any of:
a kudos Mod for a language pair which includes one of the languages of your pair,
(or) a Moderator who works in one of the languages of your pair
(or) any kudos Mod, eg: I would be happy to help you where it would be appropriate to do so, and you are welcome to contact me, for example.
I have been looking in on EngHindi Kudos questions for some while for instance, (although moderators can't see everything, and rely on members to bring issues that they don't see to their attention).

Over Forum matters, the Moderator of the Forum.

Over other matters, you may contact any Moderator.

Moderators try to respond promptly, although please bear in mind that they sometimes have to be away from work - so if there is a long delay, it is probably for this reason, not out of discourtesy. (Also as GF has described, they have their paid work to maintain of course.)
Moderators generally discuss matters with one another, but please try to avoid writing to a number of different Mods about the same matter unless there is a good reason (eg: because someone is away perhaps, in case it does cause confusion. (If you do write to more than one Mod., please help us by telling us who else you have written to.)

I hope that helps - if there is anything else you need to know please let us know (either by e-mail or via the forums as appropriate.

Best wishes
Giuli Kvrivishvili ~

[Edited at 2004-01-19 18:37]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
For the time being... Jan 19, 2004

langclinic wrote:

Unfortunately, my language pair i.e. English-Hindi is not covered by a moderator. Could anyone guide me as to whom I should contact in case of any problem and issue concerning the same?

Try Roomy Naqvy (Gujarati-English-Gujarati and the Literature Forum moderator).

[Edited at 2004-01-19 22:29]

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Georgian to English
+ ...
Roomy is an excellent person Jan 20, 2004

to approach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Who is a moderator and what are his duties"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »